Sign in to follow this  
Dranana1

Dirt to Stone Wand or Orb

I don't know if this is something that was already thought of but discarded so here goes. 

I want a wand or orb or something that can turn dirt to stone. It can be sold by the traders and go for between 5-50 silver per tile if anything, then maybe we can have places that are not shear cliffs on the PvE server because people dug out looking for stone. I think this would help the game a lot after all I know I cant be the only one that has fallen in to random pits because people dug for stone and never put the dirt back, this could help with some server problems (I think at least).

Edited by Dranana1
  • Like 1

It'd either be a giant dropshaft to get into the mine coz it didn't raise surrounding tiles, or you'd need to use a bunch of them to make a mine path down to where the normal rock layer actually is to mine under it, it'd probably leave a giant spike in the rock layer itself too. can mess around with it in WU, it doesn't work very well at all

• Like 2

I was thinking it would just work on the tile and the ones under it so it could be usable

It would be great but would need to be worked out some how.  So this would work like the transmutation liquid does for dirt to clay then right?

yes it would be like the transmutation liquid in that it changes all the tiles under the first tile the liquid is used on except it would turn dirt into rock instead of like dirt to clay.

that wouldn't work as well as you're thinking

fa61b3cecf1b192703e86870881d4009.png

heres my awesome artistic ability, red is dirt, black is rock, brown is mine entrance

1 tile gets turned to rock, you tunnel in, you can't go anywhere coz you hit the rock roof, and would need to make a giant dropshaft to get under that rock roof in order to expand the mine. you'd need to use 1 per 40/20 slope of dirt/rock layer difference to make a traversable path into the mine, and costing money per tile i really doubt the average person making giant pits is going to go through extra effort to make/buy it when they can just make a giant hole in the ground and not care what others think after they quit the game

• Like 3

It could borrow some of the Wand of Seas functionality perhaps?

do you think the aspects of the wand of the sea would work and just make it to where it turns a certain amount of area into rock? dont know much about the wand since not much is mentioned about it.

It would have to turn an area into rock rather than a single tile, to be of any use.  Essentially an eruption on land.  And you'd need a bunch of safeguards to prevent griefing, or make it as rare as the wand of sea. 

Maybe some way of making transmutation fluids work over an area (say 5x5), where you have to treat the whole lot, and it all turns together (i.e. no effect until you've pumped in enough transmutation to turn 25 tiles)?

On 11/27/2018 at 10:13 PM, Dranana1 said:

do you think the aspects of the wand of the sea would work and just make it to where it turns a certain amount of area into rock? dont know much about the wand since not much is mentioned about it.

Because of how Wurn works, the only way your idea would work is by lifting a certain area's rock layer above the water table, as rock is not just a state but an entire different zone. Everytime you cross a mine entrance you basicly 'zone' somewhere else. 

Being able to turn a single tile into rock would make a huge rock spike and would pretty much break the game easily. It could be exploited in so many ways. Wurm is a 2D world made to look 3D, so you cant have dirt below rock.

In essesnce -1. This functionality already exists with the Wand of the Seas. 

• Like 3

This functionality partly exists with the Erupt and Freeze abilities.

Lava can randomly spread to surrounding tiles, including things like dirt and sand, turning them into lava, which can then be frozen into rock. With a little luck and a lot of patience, you can use this to raise the rock layer very drastically.

• Like 1

Of course turning a 300 slope dirt wall into a 300 slope, unminable rock wall around a deed would be exploited too. Max dirt is 300 on chaos, max mining 100.

I know it could be exploited on the PvP servers but if that is the case we could have something that just works on Freedom then, not sure. I was trying to come up with an idea that would help to where we didn't have so many cliffs from people trying to uncover the stone. Heck I would be ok if it was even a priest spell that could do it. I understand we have spells like erupt and freeze but not really sure if that would be good honestly, don't know many who actually cast those spells.

this is just an idea, but we need something that can change dirt to stone and vice versa. It would help tremendously with terraforming projects and such.

You can already do this by making and freezing lava tiles

On 6/18/2019 at 1:10 PM, Dranana1 said:

this is just an idea, but we need something that can change dirt to stone and vice versa. It would help tremendously with terraforming projects and such.

-1 to the idea overall. Too much potential for exploit and too much potential for insane spikes of rock scarring the landscape.

If you want to raise a rock area, dig out the dirt and use concrete to raise the area.

but how far can you really raise the area with concrete?

On 11/28/2018 at 10:48 PM, Angelklaine said:

Because of how Wurn works, the only way your idea would work is by lifting a certain area's rock layer above the water table, as rock is not just a state but an entire different zone. Everytime you cross a mine entrance you basicly 'zone' somewhere else. 

Being able to turn a single tile into rock would make a huge rock spike and would pretty much break the game easily. It could be exploited in so many ways. Wurm is a 2D world made to look 3D, so you cant have dirt below rock.

In essesnce -1. This functionality already exists with the Wand of the Seas. 

This.

23 hours ago, Dranana1 said:

but how far can you really raise the area with concrete?

As much as you got concrete for.

People arent -1 this because its a bad idea, we are -1 this because within the current game mechanics it cannot be done. You cannot turn a single tile to rock. What this would do is raise the existing rock layer from its current position to where the item was used, thus creating a huge spike of rock all the way up to where the item was used. This wouldnt be an issue if you had a 10 slope for example, but if someone uses it in an area with a 150 slope dirt layer, it will make a 150 slope dirt spike. Or if someone suddenly wants to turn a deed's dirt walls into rock, they could potentially turn a dirt bowl into a rock bowl. 

This mixed with tunnel entrances and roads/highways, current rock layers existing deeds and the like gives the potential to break current mechanics, cause social issues with neighbors and create areas that will not be able to be settled once the prior owner leaves.

What you are asking for can be done with current game mechanics and hard work. Remove the dirt in the area and cement it up in slopes of 40 until it reaches your desired high, then drop dirt/surface mine the rest. 

what about if it can't be used on anything that is above a 10 slope going out of water since I know concrete has some problems with slopes and water?

This already exists, it's called the ebony wand.  It can paint rock tiles.