Sign in to follow this  
Joelle

You have a moment of inspiration...

What inspires me? 

Well what inspires me is the creative freedom offers, in so many different aspects. The ability to change the world around you, bend it to your will or become a victim to the passage of time and fade away to nothing again. Or to play and develop your character in any way you wish, there is no right or wrong way. Just do it however you will most enjoy it. Then my greatest passion of creativity is making content around this game, whether it's on Youtube or on my Twitch channel. I love showing off this game to new people or sharing the game from my perspective with my viewers. 

There is no greater joy to me than being able to show people what Wurm Online is really about, the most successful way I've been able to come up with for this is via Timelapses. These are the easiest way to translate the appeal of Wurm and instead of saying "You know, I just spent 6 hours building the materials and putting together a simple house" you can actually show the process, how you shape the world and build whatever you imagination is populated with. This is what intrigues people and this is what I truly love and am inspired by is creating that intrigue.  

• Like 5

What gives me inspiration to play Wurm; is that this game unlike so many others out there offers true endless possibility. It keeps giving the player an eggsplosion of content updates on the regular and the tools to let our imagination go wild. Placing items on tables for example opened up a new way to decorate and it's fantastic. Or even archaeology with the new cache system - is honestly the highlight of this year! You can be anything you want in this game, for example I started playing Wurm as a roaming merchant on my server then switched to doing eggonomics on the fourms. Lately this year I've stopped trading to focus on getting skills up higher. I'm currently hatching a plan to get 100 fishing really soon currently 99. The choice to do what you want really sold me to this game. So I feel like Wurm is just getting started on a new journey to expand the player's freedom to do clever things, even though it's a decade plus old at this point. Every day there is something new and eggciting to do or learn. You're going to want to stick around!

• Like 1

What inspires me in Wurm?

1) People

Wurm's community always comes first. Since my first day on Golden Valley, through out all the days on almost all servers, untill I finally landed to my first and real home on Xanadu... I was always impressed how brillant a community might be in game. I played in many titles, but none with people like this. Wurm is really unique, because here we might know people, live with them and work, play together for years. Players know each other, they know others names and what's most important- always remember their friends that left the game or even a world. Here, in Wurm everyplayer creates his own history, creates his game relations and everyday enriches this history. And when one does leave the game, his history stays here, like it would be build in game itself. But it isn't built in game mechanics, it's built in people and their histories. This is like a realy game family, Wurm's brotherhood, people are so cooperative and helpful. I remember when I landed on Xadnadu barely few days after land rush. I was traveling for days looking for adventures, fun, discovering this great world. Somewhere I met Mommat and in greatest need I've received all the help I wouldn't even dare to ask, and later finally I met my old friend and menthor Theria, where once again I received all the help and tips from him without even asking. Theria and his Lemosa Alliance showed me a real way to play this game after all these years I've spent wandering on my own. Showed me how great people are, he commited himself for other players, mostly new ones working for them, offering them home, necesary tools and utensils, Lemosa Homestead was like a big family and even now many players remember this place as their true home, even after Lemosa Fell. But what's most unique? In Wurm almost everywhere you can meet such people and together with them start your new story or new part of your story. 

Here enjoying events, like Rift battles, Unique monsters slayings has totally different meaning than in other games. When I have a possibility to attend a Rift battle i feel like I'm really doing something that is a common goal of us all. Meeting people, making camp, talking with people before battle, then helping each when battle begins, and then talking again when battle is done. Sometimes it feels like I would really join a battle with my bratherhood company, where everyone has own things on the mind, but yet- still care after each other. Sometimes we argue with each other, we don't like some people, sure. But still this is great community and every community event is still exciting and feels like a real meeting of people from the same boat.

So what are the greatest pillars of Wurm? These are our stories, our memories, our brotherhood.

Lk63Otd.jpg

HZ8g2gT.jpg

d6u7vzH.jpg

2) Own lore

Playing Wurm give also an unique posibillity to create your own story and lore. You can jump into this world and start your new adventure. You can become whoever you want, you can do whatever you want so also your imagination is totally free. When I'm loging to game, and when I'm transfering tot his world it's like a great, complex fantasy universe. Much better than books or movies, because this is the universe where you are the true part of it and you can shape it on your own, whatever you doing. This is a great fantasy world, and your story is like another small gear, that runs this machine and makes it never stop. Especially, after so many years, after so many adventures, people met- you no longer launching the game thinking of it as of a game. You log in to jump into it, meet your friends, and make your dreams come true. Your many years plans, your projects, ideas, your successes and fails makes the Wurm most complex of any games with most... human spirit, even in these modern years we live in right now. Especially when you think that even if something happen, you leave the game, your story and your name will survive here, that's the best gift that game could ever give to a player.

So what is Wurm, really? I don't know, but to me it's an some sort of unique experience that mixes best parts of books, movies, imagination and people relations. If you understand, what you are really playing, you will never forget it. 

leL4C6Z.jpg

Those are the main parts of Wurm, that inspires me all the time. 

Edited by Alkhadias
  • Like 2

What inspires me about Wurm are the truly massive long-term projects one can imagine, attempt, and complete. My project has to been to build an Epic deed with tarwalls. :)

Don't remember how or when I realized I wanted to do that, but Epic is covered in old dirtwalls, and I'd never seen tarwalls, so it seemed like a cool, rare project to try. And since I was shooting for tarwalls, I figured why not make the wall as tough as I could, with as many steel doors under it as possible? (Deedplanner was indispensable, by the way; thanks Warlander!)

I set out to tabulate the skills and resources I was going to need: high beverages for juice, forestry for cherries, natural substances for the liquid, a priest plus saccables, tons of iron, the digging skill to do 300 slope, a strongwall priest, coalmaking, a tremendous amount of steel for the 60+ steel mine doors my design called for, the blacksmithing to build the doors, and thousands of ash for concrete (plus more stuff I'm probably forgetting).

I planted a cherry forest and harvested 10K cherries. I don't know how many coal piles I did. I thought iron would be the easy part and didn't count it, but I wound up using more than I expected for the steel and the liquid: and probably ran well over 20K lumps used.

It took months to prepare, and while I was stockpiling the mats in Minowick, we were raided by Sphygmo's band of cutthroats. :ph34r: Thankfully, they did not get into the Mino safe mine, so my preparations stayed intact.

Building the tarwall took a couple months or so, including more surface mining than I care to remember, and destroying a truly impressive number of slate veins, which was a happy chance, because slate fences go nicely with tarwalls. :)

CDIxBEV.jpg

UZ4A2LG.jpg

I'm very happy with how it turned out. The inside isn't done yet, but I like having the project there to keep building on:

5LR9BM6.jpg

So, there it is: my MoI is building a big pile of sticky tar. :P

• Like 5

My moment of inspiration has actually been many many moments spread out of the years. I have come and gone as life and work has permitted. 
Sometimes those breaks were for so long I forgot to pay deed upkeep :(But I've always come back to rebuild... as much fun as that is :x 
What inspires me are the countless hours spent running aimlessly hunting, or should I say slaughtering? The one true constant in Wurm for me has been picking up a sword and murdering everything that moves!
This bloodthirst got started many years ago on epic (sorry, not sorry about your horses theodis)
what started out looking like this 

Spoiler

RPmHBtQ.jpg

then this 

Spoiler

tWO8eIe.jpg

now slowly ticks by like 
[21:13:59] An aged hell hound is dead. R.I.P.
[21:13:59] You have a moment of inspiration...

The mindless hunting has gotten me thru some very rough times in life. hearing the screams of the helpless has been very theraputic!
.... maybe some year I'll hit 100fs...

• Like 1

Pretty much any deed made by @Absyor any decorations by @Joneyais enough to inspire me to quit any project I'm currently halfway through and start a new one... A good thing. Of course :D

But above all else, what inspires me the most is community spirit. When wurmians come together to have some fun. The impalongs, the slayings, the sermons. All of it. 

Edited by Ehizellbob
  • Like 1

Just a reminder that this contest ends tomorrow! Share with your friends, everyone should have a chance at winning a rare or supreme strange bone!

I am not replying to this thread in hopes of winning anything.  I have no pictures to post, and no desire to get more from the Wurm Community than I already get from it.  I am replying in hopes the Devs and the community see this and feel my gratitude.  

What inspires me most in this game are the people in it. People from all over the world gather in this game every day and work together to make a world that is generally kind, supportive, and fun.  That is an amazing thing.  Many players have spent hours talking to me to help me figure something in the game out, or helping me get out of some of my disastrous and incomprehensible noob fails.  Starting out, things were rough because not only did I have no clue, but I started on Chaos.  There were about ten players who spent their time patiently answering my questions and guiding me through some crazy scenarios, and they are why I didn't quit.  I have two mains, and in my noob days, one of them ended up on Epic, and again, another player went above and beyond to rescue me from something there and help me figure out how to survive.  All of them asked me to return the favor by doing the same someday.  I try to do that as much as possible.  

When a community is based in the idea of cooperation and support, amazing things happen.  People flourish.  People from all over the world are able to be someone in a make believe medieval computer world, make friendships and alliances, create phenomenal buildings, explore vast territories.  The Devs astound me.  Of course things are not perfect, but they are really wonderful, and they have created an entire world in which people can come together and do what people do best - help each other and celebrate life together.  There are players in Wurm who inspire me so much that when I am done playing for the night, I sleep better, and am better able to bring that joy into my real life.  My country is a bit of a mess right now, and this game gives me hope for humankind.  Those of you who personally have helped me know who you are.  You already had my thanks.  I hope in this post, the Devs see that I am extremely grateful for their tireless work in creating such an amazing game.  I extend that thanks to everyone else who has ever stepped out of their routine to connect and give a hand up to someone else.  Cheers to you all.  It is truly an honor to be a part of such an amazing community.  May all your roads be easy for your carts to follow; may the hellhounds' rage be deafened by your maces, and may you all continue to continue.  LOL.  Still love that line the best when creating something.  Thank you all.

• Like 3

I have to say that the big thing that inspires me is the people that play. While there are some people that login & do their own thing on their own little piece of Wurm, there are a great many that will do what they can to help other people. I've been part of 2 large public works projects since I've come back a few months ago. Most of the people involved didn't really necessarily know each other, it was just "Hey, this is a good idea. Let's make it *real*."

I had another, much more personal experience with a player. After a rift, he offered to imp my armor for me as I'd taken some hard hits and most of my armor pieces were under 60ql. He initially wouldn't accept payment, but eventually said "Hey, I could use some cedar small barrels for a project."   Simple enough. I was initially going to go by boat, but he said "You should come by land, the views are awesome." They were until I was almost dead and completely surrounded. I said, in Xan Freedom Chat that I was probably going to end up dead & he travelled 2,000 tiles from his deed to where I was. Then he guided me back to his deed. I say "guided", but it was more the both of us killing everything in sight & trying not to end up another highway safety statistic. There aren't many games where someone would spend literally hours traveling to help someone.

That's what inspires me in Wurm. It's not necessarily the huge deeds or bridges or tunnels or anything else. It's the fact that people will help each other. Whether it's taking 4 hours to help someone get from "A to B" or helping with a massive "public works" project, people seem to band together and help each other.

• Like 3

There are two very different answers to this question to me, so I'm doing two posts. The first is the creative aspect. I can take this: 

m63iAsf.jpg

And turn it into this

0ziU3OU.jpg

l8Ptr4u.jpg

This 

Rdj3OpQ.jpg

Into this 

ErX3BA4.jpg

This (after terraforming started)

rvHqq8B.jpg?1

Into this (in progress) 

okvh0gK.jpg

M1BAzdE.jpg

And this

SfRECSm.jpg?1

UlfTdJ0.jpg

And no before on this RLuQyRr.jpg

So for me, one of the two aspects of Wurm that keep me inspired, and in game, is allowing me to create whatever I want with space that is "mine".  In just the few years I've played I've seen such a massive improvement in our options: bridges, walls, pavement, decorations.... I fear my deed will never be done  (This is my second deed, first one was "done"). 

Edited by ChampagneDragon
Duplicate pictures
  • Like 1

The second thing that keeps me interested and inspired is the ability to get on my horse or in my boat and see something awe inspiring. There are soooo many "ohhhhh wow" places that take effort to fully appreciate:

SoYrNpY.jpg

(scrolling through old pictures I was amazed to find this one!)

iX1tXzm.jpg

6HLnRQA.jpg

nEXkDr0.jpg

UecwsgY.jpg

And not so special now, but that first time seeing a rare wild unicorn. I still remember how excited I was 

XhZ396S.jpg

• Like 4

Think for me the inspiration has evolved while have been making the journey in Wurm. First in was the trip to make your very first place and be proud to stay alive more than a week making the deed. First troll kill. People been a big inspiration on this journey too met alot new frends that will be long term eaven the Wurm journey would end someday. There is alot great places i have seen in different servers that have inspired me in crafting my own deeds. There is so many things to be inspired of in Wurm that it inspires me to play everyday...and i really do play allmost everyday. My biggest motivation is to beat my brother in skills. Nothing better than brotherly rival :). Last my sons that come and ask what to do in the game and can be there helping them make the journey that i have made in this game.

I've spent so much time thinking about this and I believe I have an answer. It's a desire to create something absurd and funny. Decorating with corpses, funny item names, things that shouldn't be possible. I'm always trying to find something to outdo the last thing I did. My deed is basically a shrine dedicated to this concept. There's always something silly happening and I always have a picture to share.

BwJyeab.png

This is the front view of the workshop. Even stranger things lie within but I believe the less said about it, the better.

I made an album of what I do in Wurm. I think it explains what I do better than I could. https://imgur.com/a/2ZnhYQN

• Like 9

Yes yes of course the people inspire me for many of the same reasons that have already been mentioned but for me, something that engaged me, encouraged me to look a little closer sometimes, pay attention to the small details and inspire me to do the same from the very start, is when people name in game items.

From a simple lump, to creations made up from other items, to towers named with coordinates or relative reminders of when they were built. It all reminds me that this game is beautifully interactive and everyone who plays, makes the game what it is. 

So this might give a little too much insight into my sense of humour but below are just a few examples that I could find of what made me laugh, what saved my arse and what I’ve enjoyed.

https://imgur.com/a/q9jPtXE

I hope more people are inspired to name things too.

• Like 1

My passion/"inspiration" in Wurm is to see the outcome of planning and designing deeds. I very much so enjoy finding the most ridiculous and inhabitable places on the server, and turning them into functional deeds.

Below is a link to an Imgur album documenting the design and construction of my current home on Xanadu:

https://imgur.com/a/FgLBt

With that said, I have a huge interest in medieval castles, and Wurm has sort of cultivated that interest by allowing me to explore the construction of structures that no other game has allowed me to do before. Combined with terraforming, virtually anything is possible, and pushing ideas to the limits is what I like doing. :D

cyAPVjO.jpg

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 8

What inspires me to keep coming back to this game isn't just the people that play, but the dedication of the developers. This is one game that can honestly say listens to the concerns and desires of their player base and goes above and beyond to exceed their expectations whenever possible. Month after month we see changes and updates implemented that can be linked directly to requests on the Suggestions and Ideas forum. Sure, some things take longer than others, and some improvements don't fall into place until just the right team comes together to make it happen (placing items on surfaces!!), but in the end, our requests are heard and implemented. 

Details are improving, we can really sink time and creativity into our deeds thanks to new wall finishes, object placement, new hedge models, new statues available through the archaeology skill, and so much more.  All of these changes have happened in the short time I've been playing this game.  And still, the developers continue to surprise us with improvements that we ask for but seem impossible with some of the coding restrictions, like animal cages.  Quality of life changes are quietly added in without huge fanfare until you realize how amazing the changes are, such as dig_to_pile and harvesting/sprouting while embarked/mounted.

A few times I've walked away, but the wonderful new features that are being added bring me back to Wurm.  Where many other games focus their efforts on cash shops, loot boxes, and pay-to-win boosts, Wurm has stayed true to being a sandbox where you can create everything. Thank you Devs. Your hard work is appreciated and has not gone unnoticed.  That's what inspires me to log in day after day.

KdzQtJX.jpg

Edited by Seriphina
  • Like 1

For me its the community. I've only recently got back into wurm and after playing a bunch of other games, the onr thing that was always missing is the community. Wurm people are great, it makes this game thr most unique experience!

Oh.... and the grind.... I missed the grind.

Thank you for sharing, everyone! It’s so great to see all the different things that inspire people in the game. The winners will be announced in tomorrow’s Valrei International, so be on the lookout!

• Like 2