Sign in to follow this  
Joelle

You have a moment of inspiration...

yegmbFJ.png

Inspiration means something different to everyone.

Whether it’s building the ultimate castle, the most beautiful gardens, or a simple cottage in the woods, or maybe it’s reaching the heights of your skills or beating your foes in combat.

We each take inspiration from different things in Wurm Online, and we want you to share what gives you inspiration.

This is your opportunity to show the community just what makes your gameplay unique--what inspires you?

Tell us in whatever way you like! It can be a screenshot, a video, or even a simple story about a moment that stuck with you.

This competition will remain open until December 4th. Until then, you can submit your responses in this thread.

The winners will be announced in the next Valrei International.

Prizes, you say? Are there prizes involved? Of course!

Second and third place will receive a prize of a rare strange bone.

The first prize winner will receive a supreme bone!

Hopefully that’s enough to inspire you all to participate.

Good luck, and stay inspired!

• Like 5

Two inspiring videos spring to mind.

If you know the context behind these it really is inspiring how a game can grant you such a feeling of achievment

One made by Ciray a while ago and really shows an epic comeback and revenge with a very succesful attack against MR 

Another is made by me, my first "real" wurm video, displays a variety of our own achievment (Shameless self promotion.)

• Like 3

What inspires me?

well my lunalong does. i went to my 1st implaong 3 years ago and loved how anybody could work on there skills as well get there things worked on too. my Lg Axe went rare in that event. it made me so happy i was dancing around the house. lol so i set out to do research and saw few different ways things was done. i loved the way shrimpiies was setup and left last year with a goal in mind. with my note book of all kinds of info. i started working on it. even though the rl work got in the way many of times but i was to focus it let me get down. though close to the end i was afraid i couldn't get what i needed in time. a good friend step in a gave me a helping hand. i was so excited and scared when the big day arrived. but people started to show up a day ahead. i was so happy. as the event went on i listen to what some had to say wrote down more notes. i loved it. to see all the peeps imping away and enjoying the events i had. that i was ready to make the new impalong building for next right then. so what inspires me? its the people of wurm. hearing them having a good time cuz i was able to pull something together that people like and enjoyed. thats what inspires me.

• Like 7

I think for me it's my friends and people who surround me in wurm, their projects and dedication to those and then there is also my own project, which, whenever I look at it I feel in awe of all the work that has been put into it, of how it changed over the years and how it continued on and on even if I wasn't having time for wurm :) 
f3n3Mcb.png

• Like 9

When I entered this game a bit over 3 years ago after being invited by friends, I was like "Ok, I'll have a look at it and see if I like it." Well, I have to admit, I do like it. :) 

Wurm is a game where lots of things come together for me. Or as I often tell players in Freedom or CA-Help: "This is a game where you can use your fantasy and build almost everything you have in mind."

And that's more or less I've been playing this game. Having my MoI's like anyone else and using those to build up a deed the way I like it. And I'm pleased with the looks, as well as how others  think of it. After all, we do like to showoff a bit to the other players.

Yet, there are two MoI that are most valuable to me.

The one where I decided  to build all four Colossi near or at my deed is  the first. Took me quite some effort, but everytime when sailing by and seeing them standing there, makes me proud I managed to complete that project.

UKvhr3N.png

The other MoI I consider valuable to me, is when a new player tried to get the Halloween items despite not having the FS to face most of the monsters in the first place. At some point I felt sorry for him / her and since I had 2 witches hats already, I decided to give one to him / her. Aparently that was enough to inspire that player to keep going, eventually ending up with a hat dropping and a gain of 38FS. And as a way to thank me for that moment of encouraging I gave another player, (s)he returned the hat that dropped to him / her to me.

Thorin :)

• Like 5

My moment of inspiration came when I attended my first impalong. It is the last one Willow hosted at Festival Cove.  With just a few months into wurm  I was still a pretty raw newbie. 

My Son Bonegetter had brought me to the game, held my hand as I was eaten by my first spider and gave me a safe place to land.  Xaeo  taught me carpentry and Molkus was helping me with hunting at the time. 

At the impalong i  was impressed and in awe of all the hard work players did for each other. Most of all I was impressed by the weaponsmiths,. Zuperman, Gumbo and others rocked it.  The sheer volume of imps they did, the time energy and hanging on to sanity all made a deep impact on me, as well as the shortage of ws back then. 

Because of that impalong  and a sadistic friend named Quiglen I did a 90 ws grind on my Original toon "Chiqa" making it a point to go to every impalong I could to help out, using not only her ws but also bs and carpentry, fine carpentry skills wherever they were needed.  Through doing this I learned the value of having good skills in all the basics. Old friends I have been gaming with forever like Chulirac,  Gumbo, Jashton, PingPong, Silverwolf, Uisge and Tria now remember and shake their heads in laughter as they watch me do it all again. 

As I work on my second toon "Chiqqa" I am repeating the same grinds, starting with ws. 

The overwhelming sense of community at that first for me event was an inspiration that has carried me for years. 

Through all my years of Wurm the friendships gained, time spent together, joint projects and pains have helped me in the rest of my life. Friends here where rocks when my husband suddenly passed away. Wurm was a constant in my life when all else was in upheaval. We talk on the phone, send each other texts and worry about each other when someone disappears for awhile. What a wonderful way to bring people together. 

Suntan once said " Wurm is not a thing, it is a place" this rings so true for me. 

Edited by Chiqa
  • Like 11

Prelude to the Fall of Sparta: Emoo's speech

Somewhere in March 2014, MR decided to launch an attack on Sparta. A historical deed on the east side of Chaos, right to the north of Kratos.

Emoo made this speech (see below) right after we had left Kratos with all of our men and dozens of crates filled with thousands of iron ore for our catapults.

Aaaah, I remember the champion drake spirit spawning on top of us right after the speech, the Normandy 1944 like landing, teaming up with Demondan and hauling catapult ammunition for him when he was shooting the walls, digging down the dirt walls, blinksy losing an artifact, a failed JK counter attack and 10-14 deaths in the first few hours. :)

In this attack, over 60 members of the MR community took part in this 2 day raid and it became a big success. A lot of loot was obtained and by taking this deed, the entire area north of Kratos and up to the tundra fell under MR's control. More old monuments like GoTL fell shortly after.

I hold this video dear as this brings up the memories from a greatest and craziest event I took part in. I watch it every few months.

Wurm Online is more than just a game. It's a story creating sandbox with a great and dedicated community.

And what is our ultimate aim?

I can only answer that in one word.

It is victory.

Victory at all cost.

Victory in spite of all terrors.

Victory, no matter how long and hard the road may be

for without victory, there is no survival.

Sharkin created the video and used my picture in his video.

Edited by Bittereinder
  • Like 6

Family, friends, and purpose - these are among some of the most touching things we can have in life. I really appreciate and find inspiration in how much a player can truly find these very elements in this game.

For those like myself with little or no surviving family, those living in a real-life setting that is prohibitive to their true desires in life, or even those with a real-life that's just fine but is well supplemented with the endless possibilities posed by being a part of Wurm, this is one of the few games I've found to really provide for anyone who has a wish. If you want family, friends, adventure, a castle overlooking the sea, a chance to become a game-world king or master craftsman - it doesn't matter - it's all available to you here if you work at it.

To that end, I'd also like to extend some holiday season love and respect to one of those particular relationships I've come to really appreciate over my time in Wurm - the one and only Shydow. For those that know him, he is the epitome of a good friend, helpful community player, and much more. I don't have Facebook and wasn't aware of the contest for sharing funny stories, but I can tell you a few...   oh like the time as newbs Shy so generously donated a mailbox to my cause which I then spent a week jealously guarding, pushing across Newspring, one action at a time, hiding in trees, waking in the night to log and check if someone was near my precious stone mail center! - Only to finally get it home to great personal joy and fanfare and hearing from another player that they would have just made one for me for a lil copper  LOL     Anyway, I really appreciate my bud Shy, his fairness despite trial and test, steadfastness as a player and game contributor, and much more. Friends like this are what it's really all about, so sincere thanks.

Yes, stories like this are the hallmarks of the game, and can be the comical starts to priceless bonds and relationships sometimes even hard to find outside of the game. So, to wrap it up here, on this Thanksgiving Day and during this holiday season, cheers to the friends, family, and purpose we are privy to find in this life and our other life - WURM.  :)

• Like 5

Actually momentS of inspiration: when wagons arrived in game, Annyil created her first ever TWO wagons rare. That was the point where I decided I'll create a rare knarr... or a sailboat... or at least any other vessel. Well, that never happened, but my shipbuilding skill went well above 90 instead ... I call it an era of inspiration.

• Like 2

As a player who plays exclusively on PvP servers, the biggest thing that inspires me, naturally, is PvP itself. Nothing beats the feeling you get when you overcome/outsmart the enemy and send ‘em running for the hills, as you pick ‘em off 1 by 1. Two videos of mine come to mind when I think about this; one linked above by @Sn00and the other I’ll link below. 

• Like 1

For me its not what inspired me but who. The answer to this is and was from the very beginning of my wurm life Tich. From the moment I learned to dig and heard of legend of this fabled woman who carved the roads throughout the lands that I walked on, I was in awe.

I spent my first year of wurm digging like a crazy person, I couldn't get enough of it at my own place or my brothers so I started to travel far and wide answering the call from anyone who needed help. I'd drop what I was doing to go to anyone who needed help in anything from simply being shown the basics of flatraising or needing help fixing a bump in a road through to large scale projects like a fortress or high wall. Helping to complete the great southern highway with Tich was a huge bump in the inspiration she gave me.

When I started Epic it was to be my break from digging and I promised myself that I would do none. Seems that over the years I was there the seeds she planted in my brain lead to a lot of digging roads to help directionally challenged people find their ways places such as JKs bloody long road and the road for MR and JK to find the whitelight on old Elevation, then other roads on new Elevation and Desertion.

• Like 16

uxDEy3l.jpg

[19:21:49] A large wooden loom, made for weaving. You can barely make out the signature of its maker,  'Kochinac'. This is a supreme example of the item, with fine details and slick design. Ql: 94.31315, Dam: 0.0.
[19:21:49] A single bronze rune of Libila has been attached to it, so it will gather resources at a higher quality level (10%)
[19:21:49] Blessings of the Dark has been cast on it, so it will increase skill gained and speed with it when used. [102]
[19:21:49]  You will want to polish the floor loom with a pelt to improve it.

This is the best thing i've made so far in Wurm. I created it from using oak ofc, imped it, had moment of inspiration turned it rare, had several missed moments, had monent turned it supreme, had several missed momments after that. I've load it on my knarr drove it to chaos fearing i could loose it and all my gear any moment, personaly enchanted it with my Lib priest in a secret cave and had crazy luck to fluke and get 102 botd. Still have to imp this baby a little bit more since my FC is higher now and to replace the rune with some moonmetal one. But creating things like this is my inspiration in wurm. Knowing how much effort i've put in and how much luck i had to get an ordinary item as close to perfection as i could. Creating magnificent piece of craftery like this with my signature on it is what it drives me playing, so people can see how exceptional craftsmen i've become :)

P.S. My second best item is supreme steel knife with 101 botd, that i also created myself,imped to 96ql and enchanted peronaly :D

• Like 2

Besides the incredible friends/community here, I draw my inspiration from mainly two sources in Wurm :)

CELTIC INSPIRATION: I am proud to have Scotch/Irish lineage, and have always been obsessed with these cultures. My dream is to one day visit Scotland and Ireland, but until then I content myself with listening to nostalgic Celtic music, gazing at pictures of the Scottish Highlands and trying to recreate the untouched rustic beauty of those places here in Wurm. I was so excited a few years back to discover this game, which would allow me to act out medieval-era life, explore vast lands, roleplay a Celtic girl if i wished, and best of all create my own Celtic paradise :)

My three deeds of "Loch Lomond", "Isle of Innisfree", and "Loch Caledonia" (named after real locations) were born from this fantasy (you can see that my inspiration is rustic, cozy, beautiful mountain/lake views). Since the Celtic culture/lifestyle has always centered around the land, so also do my deeds in their location and design. I prefer rolling hills and untouched slopes to harsh, flat, 'grazed over" megadeeds.

(Here are some of the pictures of Scotland that inspire me most)   https://imgur.com/a/dv7AaRM

There are also beautiful Celtic songs about each of these real places, take a listen!

Pictures of my deeds:

Loch Lomond https://imgur.com/a/XhY7g9H

Loch Caledonia https://imgur.com/a/w0WNdyg

Isle of Innisfree https://imgur.com/a/BKHlGB2

**** I would be remiss if I didn't also mention the profound admiration and inspiration I have for "Glengarry" at R18, Pristine. It's rolling mossy hills, stone fences, and stunning views truly inspired my own deeds and aesthetics. (She really has the "rural pastures" look down!) ****

Glengarry:  https://imgur.com/a/MKsfueW   

Second Inspiration, My Best Friend Sidereal

It was a fateful night, during my first year of Wurm, I was weary from setting up my deed Loch Lomond, patiently carving a hollow out of the mountainside to nestle into. I had heard of this place with an enchanted name, Glengarry, and decided to take a sail down to check it out. Little did I know that calling out to say hello to a name in local on the way, would change my Wurm life forever!!

Since our first meeting that night, Sidereal has been my best friend, sister, confidant and co-adventurer! Oh the memories we have made and the hours spent chatting away, sharing our hearts, dreams and sorrows and laughing at her ridiculous puns :) There are too many wonderful things we have done to even name favorites here, but together we built the Isle of Innisfree deed, picked lingonberries on the top of the world, dragged vicious turtles and hell horses home as they nipped at our heels, and gone on crazy adventures .. .. . including retrieving my corpse from an ill-fated spot more than a few times! Here's to forever in Wurm, darling!

Sidereal and Me Photobook: https://imgur.com/a/QUkzlZ4

I hope you enjoy, you can tell my attachment to Wurm is highly sentimental!  :) Let me know if you want to come visit my rustic deeds :)

• Like 6

As for building and terraformation, my huge inspiration were Meteora Monasteries in Greece.

Been there and it seems as beautiful as unreal.

Some pictures:

Spoiler

k4hYB8m.jpg

SYrTKTz.jpg

BNHcJmT.jpg

YOOtI4V.jpg

sZXXQi8.jpg

And deeds pictures:

Spoiler

hR2GMzg.jpg

bAzCm64.jpg

BJodRJC.jpg

Edited by Wilczan
  • Like 13

6 hours ago, Wilczan said:

As for building and terraformation, my huge inspiration were Meteora Monasteries in Greece.

Been there and it seems as beautiful as unreal.

Some pictures:

Hide contents

k4hYB8m.jpg

SYrTKTz.jpg

BNHcJmT.jpg

YOOtI4V.jpg

sZXXQi8.jpg

And deeds pictures:

Hide contents

hR2GMzg.jpg

bAzCm64.jpg

BJodRJC.jpg

Our largest Xanadu deed is called Kalambaka - and sits under a steep mountain. Inspiration to build a medieval looking town came from the same inspiration (Kalambaka is the town under the cliffs of Meteoras).

• Like 4

What inspires me?  A lot.

First and foremost, community.  I live in the friendly, densely populated village of Eden.  Eden is located in the friendly, densely populated island of Newspring on Xanadu.  I am highly inspired by my friends and neighbors!

AOyzoyz.jpg54jjAus.jpg

However, in the back of the friendly little town, is something... dark.

a12lmFi.jpgAyiWmjV.jpg

As one gets closer, the eerie feeling of dread starts to develop.  What inspires me?  Atmosphere.

iKGVqJp.jpglNw2aJT.jpg

As you enter the premise, you can hear an ominous chittering sound, as if a bunch of giant, angry scorpions are sensing a meal.

oNkRekl.jpgAspfXU1.jpg

You spot in the front yard, an enchanted oak tree that looks like it would be a peaceful place to rest... if you are a vampire.  What inspires me?  Custom designed themes.

hNERd9Q.jpg

Inside this building, you start to see the source of the hungry, creepy sounds you could hear outside.  What inspires me?  Breeding an army of scary champion creatures worthy of Vlad Dracula himself.

lWs0pIT.jpgRb2M45C.jpgcg2hk7k.jpgVtl1JIa.jpg

On the roof, you can find the workstations where the lamps, lights, weapons, armor, tools, and everything else is made -- all from the red metal of Seris, seryll.  What inspires me?  Choices.

wXgarxr.jpghB7HleQ.jpg

Ndmr9OC.jpg

So... what inspires me?  Freedom.  Where I get to be Count Midgaar and build a giant black castle, breed a monster army inside of it, and show it off to everyone.

Pictures really don't do it justice.  Plus much is left out.  The ramps lead all the way to the top, easy wagon access.  From the top floor of the back tower (floor 7) is a bridge leading to the mountain behind me, where I have a flat area high up with my farm and the best view in Eden:

sZh6cvH.jpg1RzLlcZ.jpg

What inspires me?  Right now, a supreme strange bone!

Edited by Koreal
Removed an error.
  • Like 5

I've been doing these Factional Fight updates from my car recently and posting them to our Patreon page. In the most recent edition I reply to this post about what inspires me. After a bit of prodding, Joelle convinced me to post it here. 

• Like 6

I think what has inspired me the most in Wurm over time was probably the thought of the much anticipated bridges.

And the thought of them maybe coming into game sure inspired many of us!

One of my earliest projects in Wurm was to build a temple, faking 4 buildings with rope bridges between them.

It took me a long time to figure out the whole build and remove ladders procedure, so I probably worked on this house for towards a year on and off.

When I finally figured out how to remove all the floors to create the hollowed part I ended up with one remaining floorplan I could not remove.

So Enki came, and flew up and down the center of the building and I sort of tried to teach him how it all worked, not that I knew, then we had to ask for expert help, so Hesta came.

She said it was not possible to build like that...

Anyways, I built this somehow, and also later managed to disguise the remaining floor plan above the office.

Totally untalented clip and also the only clip I ever made.

Then stairs came into play and this house fell out of my inspiration. It was never adapted for stairs.

Xanadu came in betweeen and again the thoughts of the much anticipated bridges kept my inspiration going.

When they finally came in game I breached a huge bay, and now my next project is that (once in a Wurmlife) huge castle, faking the size by integrating bridges.

Here the smaller of the two bridges across the bay, on this side of the island the water is more shallow, situated on the Glasshollow Linton Highway:

345h7bc.jpg

Edited by Cecci
  • Like 3

My moment of inspiration comes in three..

1st) my best item is a supreme large metal shield with a high coc, it was made supreme from rare by sharkin at the last impalong on pristine , which i attended...

2nd)my the man who nursed form a newbie to a WUrm Player, BombaySteve.. sorry for all the bs that followed me Steve but i wish you would've kept your helmet i don''t knopw if you no't'iced but the one i sent you bore your sig. the first plate mail helmet you made and all that i could save forjm your first farm, and btw the second farm is sooooooo much better congrats and godspeed..

3rd) My real moment of inspiration comes everytime i am farming and i get a drumroll, i guess i must have mowed over the little drummer boy because jnothing ever turns rare nor could there be anything to turn rare or above, its just a moment that happens all the time while i am raking and i wonder why i dont get a single coin.. io guess the drummer boy pocketed it and then i mowed him up..maybe next time.. and btw the only item besides a suprememe coin i ahve ever made was a rare reins..

take care all happy holidays and pleasant wurmin.. and this is no threat but i will be back someday.. heheheh...

Golden light flashes on screen, a quiet drum roll blitzing to a strong and overly loud climax.

- What? What now??

"You damage the huge axe a little."

- Oh.. okay then. Rather disappointing... derp... is this what half the ladies out there experience week after week?

Shivers.

A moment of inspiration. /sarcasm

Meh.

I leave the forge be and step outside. Another day goes by.

What if I leave all the things be. For a moment. 

I try to clear my thoughts.
You fall into a trance.

Nothing but frogs? Or... is there a whisper, hidden in the last rays of late evening Sol?

Remember.

- Remember? What should I remember?

Remember, when...

And suddenly I remember!

One of our villagers had left and I was offered his plot. Even though I was happy with my current spot, something urged to pack my bags.

It was a nice place. Right at shore, I could anchor my boat outside the window. Ahh, home, sweet new home.

Days passed, but I couldn't help myself noticing this one little bumpy corner. 

- Hey, Gheen, if I flatten this area, could I possibly claim it as my own? You sure? Nice, thanks!

You hit rock.

- What? Is this not possible then? Oh... dig it all out? But it's water, too deep! A dredge? What!? Not just the one tile, all the other tiles too??

Ah yes. The moment when I realized, that in some complicated way, everything is possible in this game.

A moment.

I let my eyes daze off into the mysteriously flowing fog and listen again... 

"So. Now what?" Khari nudges some pebbles on the road. "Kinda bored."

She had finished building her house and farms. 

Crickets somewhere in bushes.

"I don't know. There's really not much to do right now, here in the village."  I stare at the pebbles and her dusty, worn shoes. "Maybe find yourself some new boots?"

Thump!

"Oh for fsss, I don't know!" I rub my shoulder. She's quick with her nuckles. "I'm not your boss, find some stuff to do yourself! Go turn that forest into a desert, for all I care!" and I point far down the coast.

And she did, and we soon had a desert on the island. This was the moment that led me to understand - the borders are just in my head. 

A moment.

I can barely let go of that thought when next one hits.

Years ago. Usual quiet day in Wurm. We have just finished adding final touches to this modest bridge, connecting our small island to the mainland once again. Cevanne the master mason, who came to do the dioptra magic, wipes some grey dust off her gloves, as she prepares to head back home, and smirks.

"Next time, to Newspring?"

"Sure!" I reply with sarcasm.

Yes! I do remember! This was the moment when the first seed was planted, the first seed which grew up to be a rather magnificent looking construct

A moment.

Sun has set, fog has rolled in, frogs have gone quiet. But I am standing here, staring into darkness, and it is not silent. From all directions, whispers bombard me with moments. 

I wonder what's on top of that mountain?

1500 support beams should be enough.

Some day, caravel!

Find some unicorns, why not.

I can help you with that tunnel.

99 quality item with priest, really? 

I don't like this sloppy mine entrance!

Sure I can, it's just a 10 minute trip.

We should remove these clay tiles...

The moments that make me enjoy this game, the moments that throw me into new shenanigans, the moments that I value above any shiny axe. 

Moments of inspiration.

And I sincerely thank you, everyone, who has been in those moments with me.

(wow, that's slushy, as if taken from an Oscar winner's speech)

• Like 3

My most rare unique inspiration in the game was when I was drinking water. (other seem more common, farming, praying, healing, investigating.. and -> you "find nothing..")

What inspires me? I honestly don't know, there's no goal in wurm, so I have to make my own every day or week.. just login and do something or not bother.

What stuck with me.. pretty much 'every' or most of the moments with just about anyone that have made some impression to me, I remember random old time people, what they did, how they did it, why they did it, their story keep living with me in a way even tho none of the names means anything to just about anyone other but me now.

• Like 1

What inspires me? Wurmians, in all the years I've played, it's not the places, it's not the buildings, or the bridges, it's the people who make them, you are my inspiration, you are inspiring, from the new player who just entered the game, to those who survived Wurmageddon, for the stories, the tears and the laughter, to quiet times, and the raucous, you're all my inspiration, and the reason I continue to log in and roam the lands.

I thank you all for just being there, for continuing to inspire me to procrastinate and wander, to see what you have built from the rocks, trees and dirt we inhabit, you're all the inspiration this Wurmian will ever need.

• Like 6

I usually not involved in great proyects, but helped in more than one way, sometimes for money others no, but i like travel to see buildings and meet people...
more zenity, people inspire me sometimes

• Like 1

I've had lots of inspiration in Wurm, be it from old players that made me join the 'dark side' by buying premium and finally arrive in Samling, the odd terraforming projects completed and all the deeds I've had with my friend Cathor... Everything is amazing!

My best memory is recent, where we have been sharing the tasks of lowering a mountain top on Independence. Bashing buildings, digging dirt and surface mining... We're still going at it slowly but surely! Sure I have another deed on Exo that I work on, but this amazing project has kept me going for quite some time! 

Here's a picture: 

imgur.com/a/It7l6wt

Edited by Allenkey
  • Like 1