Sign in to follow this  
Fairyshine

Highways taking up the tiles NEXT to a two tile highway as well...why?

I was mucking around with pavement patterns next to a highway which goes at the front of one of our deeds, and it touched the edge of the highway.  Imagine my horror when I found out that the highway now thinks it is three tiles wide, I will now NEVER EVER be able to remove the tiles EVER AGAIN...

Until I found out you have to remove the cateye, then fix it all up, and replace the cateye.  I want to warn others of this situation in case someone else encounters the same.

Just to clarify

Before I tiled anything the protections ended at the end of the tile like this.  You can clearly see the protections are just over the actual tiles either side of the cat eye.

036c92639135670cae811762d833e3ce.jpg

After I tile the protections all of a sudden extended even two tiles away from the cateyes and now these tiles are ALSO protected?  The protections changed after I tiled to even include tiles which are not cat eyed.

3170803a3d7da1443fc27bde6f8f5850.jpg

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 1

AFAIK catseyes purposefully extend one tile further into two directions (north and west?) so that 3 tile highways can be catseyed appropriately. This was done in response to people zigzagging the catseyes because that's bad for the wagoners, though I'm not entirely sure about the precise timeline of events what happened when.

probably some time after this:

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Think of it like this; the catseyes are meant to protect up to a three wide highway. Due to how Wurm works, what tile something is is based on the NW corner of that tile, which leads to that the catseye is placed on the tile in the center of a 3x3. It has always been like this.

Any pavement in the vicinity of the catseyes will be protected by them, you just have to design with that fact in mind.

• Like 1

It was like this from the very start, just to have 3x3 protections, pain in the ass sometimes, but nothing a little crowbar grease can't fix.

• Like 1

Can't the paving be changed with a 'replace pavement' option?   Or is that just in WU?  I get confused sometimes.  :) 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Amadee said:

Can't the paving be changed with a 'replace pavement' option?   Or is that just in WU?  I get confused sometimes.  :) 

Yes but you can't revert back to non paved...unless you temporarily remove the culprit cateye, then remove all the paving, and replace the cateye again.  If you want the section to be non pavement, best to not pave it in the first place, because you can only remove it by removing the protection (cateye).  It is allowed to remove the cateye for a short period providing you fix up the highway again, or alternatively, reroute the highway.

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 2