Sign in to follow this  
Spode

Server Hardware/ Spawn Questions

Currently, I'm running a heavily modded Wurm Unlimited server and I have a couple of questions.

I'm considering moving my server to a refurb Optiplex. I just want to be sure that the server will run because I can't find any sources for minimum specs for running a server, I could easily be dumb and blind to it though. So my question first is will a heavily modded server run smoothly being stored on an SSD, 28gb of RAM(32gb system total), and an i5-2400 clocked at 3.1GHz?

My second question is, how do you successfully move the spawn? I have a custom map and the location of our current spawn puts you in the middle of a lake, which you can swim to shore but it's super annoying and a turn off for people who are only just joining the server. I've tried in the console and in-game, but once again I could easily be blind/ dumb to it.

Thanks in advance!
also, this is my first post on here after years of lurking

Edited by Spode
Relevance

This entirely depends on the server size and the number of creatures you plan on having on it.  Along with the number of players.

I run a Deli sized server with 50k creatures and 10 people on an i5 with 8 gigs of ram with no lag.

8 minutes ago, Ascorbic said:

This entirely depends on the server size and the number of creatures you plan on having on it.  Along with the number of players.

I run a Deli sized server with 50k creatures and 10 people on an i5 with 8 gigs of ram with no lag.

Alrighty. Do you know the model for your i5? Just for comparison on my end.

Threads are your freinds.

The more threads that WU server can use, the better the server will run.

Realistically how often does WU server multi-thread? Is this constantly, or just like most other apps claiming to be multi-threaded where very specific tasks are spawned in their own thread but realistically last only seconds...

4 hours ago, bigsteve said:

Threads are your freinds.

The more threads that WU server can use, the better the server will run.

So do you think that the 4 cores 4 threads that the i5-2400 supplies will be enough? The system will only be running the server and Windows at any given time.

How much memory?

That CPU will be fine. -- If the system plans to ONLY run a WU server consider using Linux without a GUI if you are capable of running such an OS. The resource overhead of the OS will be much less significant leaving more resources for WU.

Edited by Adambean

Just now, Adambean said:

How much memory?

That CPU will be fine.

I'm committing 28gb to the server, out of 32 that the system will have.

You won't need to commit anywhere near that amount of memory for a single WU server. Even if you raise the monster count to say 200k on a 8192x world you'd likely exhaust the CPU before you get anywhere near the memory allocation.

Definitely consider Linux then, particularly as that uses significantly less CPU when installed without a GUI interface.

Edited by Adambean

57 minutes ago, Spode said:

So do you think that the 4 cores 4 threads that the i5-2400 supplies will be enough? The system will only be running the server and Windows at any given time.

All depends on how many players will be on the map, how mad they go at messing with item creation  etc etc.

A couple of bods the cpu will do fine.

30+ and hard core skillers not clearing up there messing, thread thrashing will occur  quite a bit.

Edited by bigsteve

I've solved this little predicament. I really do want to thank everybody for helping out, again!