Sign in to follow this  
Ayes

Crops Never Turn To Weeds

When crops ripen they should never "turn to weeds" but always stay at the Ripe stage. Once they are tended when Ripe then they will not be tendable again but animals can on occasion graze them down to a lower stage if they remain on that tile for an extended time. I think this would be a positive change for several reasons. Those who are not planting crops to harvest for use or skill gains can then have their farms remain at the Ripe stage for animals to graze on or just for the esthetic value of their look. This would give all farms the additional ability to beautify the lands with their many varieties while removing the need to log onto the game just for the purpose of eliminating crops turning into weeds.

The only possible detriment I can see is that crops can then be some competition in desirability against enchanted grass in terms of the many visual varieties of crops. Otherwise for just a pure grazing ability enchanted grass remains superior due to its stable nature, so I don't think this would be a good reason against this suggestion. The current "crops to weeds" is a poor feature of the game and should be removed just as many WU servers have done for their players benefit of an optional choice to enhance their game experience. It has been well received there and I think the results would be the same for WO as well.

=Ayes=

• Like 7

I use this mod on my WU servers all the time.  I like it for personal use.  However, I do find it mostly eliminates the need for Love path and grass enchanting.  Also, one thing I love about crops failing with age, is it shows me who is active and who isn't, when driving around an area on the server.

So +1 and also -.5 for me.

Nothing in wurm should be permanent.  If its untended, it should return to its wild state.

35 minutes ago, Ascorbic said:

Nothing in wurm should be permanent.

Except dirtwalls, apparently... :P

At any rate, enchanted grass is permanent, except for grazing, so I don't see why crops couldn't be enchanted if someone wanted to freeze them as-is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roccandil said:

Except dirtwalls, apparently... :P

At any rate, enchanted grass is permanent, except for grazing, so I don't see why crops couldn't be enchanted if someone wanted to freeze them as-is.

what purpose would that serve?

Farming is easy enough as it is, because it doesn't require a 99 farmer to tend fields to get a decent harvest.

Interesting ideas Ayes.

Just my opinions here:

• End of life crops should remain graze-able by animals whether they are dead or perpetually ripe, until eaten or packed. +1
  • Some end of life crops might look a little better - but that's a personal opinion. +1/2

What does affect me most is this:

Harvesting end of life crops currently gives a poor quality plant/veggie that can reduce the overall quality of your harvest. Some weeds look sneakily similar in colour and shape to living crops, and it's annoying and time consuming when you get poor ql weed plants mixed in with your best QL crops! Yes I should be paying more attention, and yes I can sort them out - but let's be honest it's happened to us all - the 'zombie-like state' when farming several hundred tiles.... ;) 

It is important to give new players and those players that have been absent, some way of recovering enough seed to replant, if their crops become weeds, I acknowledge this, it's only fair.

but failing a more visual warning before harvesting the weed tile,

• it would be nice for all levels of farmers, if tending end of life plants produced just 1 comparable seed with quality in proportion to our skill. +10
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

what purpose would that serve?

Aesthetics.

• Like 2

If someone is a 'keen' farmer then this idea will not have any effect on them- except perhaps if they take a break. They will simply plant, tend and harvest as before. They will experience gains according to their skill / tool / crop as before.

For players who do not have much time to spend in-game or simply have farms for the occasional meal, for animals and for aesthetics and who are not interested too much in gaining skills this idea would help keep their deeds 'beautiful'.

It is surely a matter of choice- and of course one of the great things about Wurm is choice?

+1

• Like 4

This has been nice to have in WU.

I like that it doesn't punish you for being responsible in RL.

• Farming still gets positively reinforced with higher yields and the other things Spolmit mentioned.
  • The negative punishment of losing something for not logging in when too busy is removed.
  • I believe this is nice for game design.

Also agree with Roc.  Aesthetics are part of the game for many people.

• As one example, purple onion flowers match well with lavender hedges.  Less about the farming, more about artistic creation.

Also agree with Ascorbic, nothing in Wurm should be permanent... however,

• Very easily removed.  Not nearly as permanent as colossi, for example, that have a much greater impact on everyone around.
  • We don't consider forests, which keep replanting themselves in perpetuity and are more labor intensive to remove, permanent.

Enchanted grass...

• I believe that would still have the advantage in barns, correct?
  • Could perhaps increase resistance to animal stomping for enchanted grass and lower resistance (a tad) for crops to balance it out.

In closing, +1.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Reylaark said:

This has been nice to have in WU.

I like that it doesn't punish you for being responsible in RL.

• Farming still gets positively reinforced with higher yields and the other things Spolmit mentioned.
  • The negative punishment of losing something for not logging in when too busy is removed.
  • I believe this is nice for game design.

Also agree with Roc.  Aesthetics are part of the game for many people.

• As one example, purple onion flowers match well with lavender hedges.  Less about the farming, more about artistic creation.

Also agree with Ascorbic, nothing in Wurm should be permanent... however,

• Very easily removed.  Not nearly as permanent as colossi, for example, that have a much greater impact on everyone around.
  • We don't consider forests, which keep replanting themselves in perpetuity and are more labor intensive to remove, permanent.

Enchanted grass...

• I believe that would still have the advantage in barns, correct?
  • Could perhaps increase resistance to animal stomping for enchanted grass and lower resistance (a tad) for crops to balance it out. 

In closing, +1.

Spot on.  I agree with all of this.  And with the enchanted grass, I still use that a lot in WU simply because in some areas I don't like the look of crops in my animal pens.  Aesthetics.  :)

+1 the OP. 

• Like 3

I personally can’t do farming in this game because I can only really get on for a few hours on the weekends mostly. I always miss the ripe crops and log in to dead fields more often than not. I do understand that forever crops are also not desireable, but how about some middle ground solution. 

I suggest that the ripe stage lasts for about a week in real life time. This would give weekend players time enough to get to their crops without giving a permanent replaceme t for enchanted grass.

• Like 4

+1

Games are for fun, not for rushing to your computer before some silly arbitrary deadline passes.

• Like 7

don't think this will fly..

if this gets accepted I'll have a dragon dog, I'm certain

I wouldn't mind extending it. Say the same amount of time it takes to grow completely (~5 days) the crops will stay fully ripe for 5 days before turning to weeds.

I always liked doing all my fields at once, and waiting for the last few stragglers meant the crops that ripened first went to weeds. A 2-3 day longer window would be nice.

Edited by Hailene
  • Like 2

I love the feature of forever ripe crops on some WU servers, as it allows me to plant crops for decoration like I would plant flowers.  The ripe crops are beautiful as flower patches and splashes of colour, or along roads as sidewalk decoration.  It provides a myriad options to create little gardens with paths and fountains.  During Halloween you can have your deed covered in pumpkins for two weeks.  At Christmas time the whole deed turns red and green and stays like that until you want to change the colour scheme again.  It is the middle ground between those who want to keep grinding farming, as they can rake and harvest to their heart's desire, and those who do not get to farm often and rather want to play the game to explore deed design and creative ways of using colour.  It is not dissimilar to planting flowers in a real garden.

Farming in Wurm is a fun activity for some people who love raking and harvesting, but allowing forever ripe crops will open the fun up to a lot more players.  Farms still need some requirements to create e.g. in terms of tiles being a certain slope, so in reality, it hardly if ever happens that you see random farm tiles on the WU servers where this has been a feature for years and years.  I very much doubt that people will just go around creating farms tiles for the sake of ...what?  And even then, packing and raking a tile takes about one minute.

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 5

OK, I forgot about the appearance of ripe crops for decoration.

I  will +1 crops not turning to weeds, but after a week, or 9 days.... you lose your harvest except for one veggie from each tile.  

• Like 2

Fairyshine pointed out in an excellent manner my views on how *never turn into weeds* crops enhance the visual effect of the game as a benefit to players. Yes, their varieties can then be used for purely a cosmetic effect in many varieties of ways. They become then a stable plantable accent in the same way as trees and bushes. No harm is done from crops that achieve a permanent Ripe status as they are just fully grown remaining in the game; thus, they have no effect on players who farm crops for skill or sell crops for profits.

There really is no point of having crops turn into weeds after reaching the Ripe stage. Let players make the choice to either harvest them or leave them as Ripe until the clouds fall from the Wurm skylines with the recycling rains unending. No watered down version of this suggestion either please, such as just extending the Ripe stage, as this is really no benefit to their stable decorative effects. Then too of course is the freedom of the player from their always demanding weedening threat. Let the other plantings of Wurm have the pleasure and companionship of their many varieties through all the cycles of Wurming life.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 4

If it's a choice between permanent ripe or keeping it as is, I'd rather keep it as is.

If it goes to fast timer could be lengthened per stage and balanced with yield accordingly.

I think they could extend the time they stay ripe, but not take it away fully

• Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 8:46 AM, Mordraug said:

+1

Games are for fun, not for rushing to your computer before some silly arbitrary deadline passes.

This. +1 to this and +1 to OP.

• Like 2