Sign in to follow this  
Ignacius

Code Club tested out a 64k map?

Stumbled upon this post on Rolf's blog earlier during some Googling...

https://www.wurmonline.com/tag/map-size/

It was way back in 2014; I just started playing around 2016. Any other players recall this open test? I'd imagine since the 8k Xanadu has lag problems from time to time that a 64k map would've been an abysmal failure, but I'm curious if anyone can tell me any stories about it.

According to this post a few weeks later, the "Mega server" was later down sized to become Xanadu-sized:

http://www.wurmonline.com/2014/04/28/mega-server-test-tuesday-29-april-23-00-cest5-pm-est/

http://www.wurmonline.com/2014/04/29/mega-server-2-test-soon-starting/

Since Xanadu was released shortly after this test, I assume they felt they were capable of running this sized server but no larger.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I've played on that very test server, it actually wasn't as bad as you might think. That probably being because the server wasn't up for very long and it was mostly people walking around on it, not anyone really building stuff there. I remember some beautiful, wide meadows on smoothly rolling hills, endless olive forests and , to be honest, that's it already.
By the way, you got some of your units wrong. Xanadu borders are 32km each(normal servers are have 8km borders) and the borders of that test server were 64km each.

Edited by kekstier
  • Like 1

It was a fun test, but in the end every map bigger than 4k will not work for wurm. eg Xanadu lag

Edited by Sklo:D

And my understanding is, since WU only gets the "lightweight" version of the database software (SQLite), maps over 4k are even more problematic for Wurm Unlimited. 

(I am not very knowledgable about server issues, so maybe the database is not the determining issue though...)

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

We did test it out! The biggest hindrance to any server is creature count, the 64km map was actually quite okay, except when we started adding the creatures it got a bit (a lot) laggy. 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2018 at 8:07 PM, Brash_Endeavors said:

And my understanding is, since WU only gets the "lightweight" version of the database software (SQLite), maps over 4k are even more problematic for Wurm Unlimited. 

(I am not very knowledgable about server issues, so maybe the database is not the determining issue though...)

SQLite is generally less optimal, but have huge advantages of working everywhere without complications, extra initial setup and doesn't require any initial knowledge about databases.