Sign in to follow this  
MrJonnyboy

Uniques Overhaul

4 hours ago, elroth said:

spider silk for drake, and some form of metal alloy for a scale version.

Allow moonmetal armor to be imped with steel, and there's your scale version.

Spider silk, btw, sounds like a super-cloth, not leather. :) Would be nice to make tougher leather armor out of, say, croc hide.

Of course, there's always carapace armor, but I dunno if that would be leather or plate. :)

2 hours ago, Roccandil said:

Allow moonmetal armor to be imped with steel, and there's your scale version.

Spider silk, btw, sounds like a super-cloth, not leather. :) Would be nice to make tougher leather armor out of, say, croc hide.

Of course, there's always carapace armor, but I dunno if that would be leather or plate. :)

sure :) no moon metal though.

i dont really care how they call it or what material or skill is used, but very close to drake and scale in defense numbers will lead to drake being less important / expensive  and unique slayings lose the monetary incentive which will naturally stop private slayings.

make the new armor high'ish skill and somewhat hard to find the materials. but not too much drake and scale is. so those become more like a fashion statement of determination ( or credit card) and matter less for in game stats.

I just hope they tweak how the spawns work so it's less greed and drama.

It use to be fun, not so much now ?

*Happy trails to you, till we meet again* <by Dale Evans & Roy Rogers>

Edited by VelvetSun

Slaying Dragons has always been the big money ticket within Wurm due to the armors that can be made from them and then sold; because of this I would not bundle them with other "Uniques" in terms of desirability and adjustments made. The other Uniques are just status symbols with minimal rewards for killing them and the idea of hunting them for enjoyment comes into play on more real basis.

I don't see the OP's post as suggesting the Dragon spawning and fighting should be like Rifts but just that a few aspects of it are similar in comparison. The suggestion I like most from the main post is tying Dragons to a fixed spot radius from which they can not be lured out of. Sure this eliminates the "fun" of hunting them down but it also eliminates those hunters from penning them up for their own purposes, which I think are what I already pointed out $$$. The other advantage to this is that it protects the general population from their random destruction and player killing tendencies.

These spawn locations could still be random but they should be No Build spots (ohh... like Rifts) when the Dragon is spawned. Why? So those who enjoyed the fun of hunting them down could not restrict anyone else from killing them once they were located. No fun of the hunt removed, only the control of the proceeds $$$. The Dragon spawning should still be announced though (by whatever common means) so that everyone would be notified to start looking if they wished.

Maybe all the looting and drops could be worked out more equably but the main point I am focusing on is removing the ability for "Dragon Hunters" to control these killings for profits events. The other Unique hunts are trivial in comparison $$$. May as well put the other Uniques on this same system too since I think fewer will be concerned about them $$$. A much more fair system to give all Wurm players the chance to die at the hands (feet too) of these fiendish Wurm creatures. Heck, they might even survive the experience and come away with something they were denied the opportunity of before by certain individuals.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Ayes said:

The suggestion I like most from the main post is tying Dragons to a fixed spot radius from which they can not be lured out of.

Dragon nests would be cool. :) Could throw some extra dragon-ish loot for the nest itself (everyone in local gets a gold lump, or something, because dragons like shinies).

• Like 2

On 11/9/2018 at 7:44 PM, Mataleao said:

Por favor, do not neuter this wild open freedom that we have right now and reduce unique hunts to themepark events.

Currently this is exactly what happens though...after the beast is spotted and swiftly taken to a location, it stays there waiting for the kill in a themepark fashion.

55 minutes ago, elf said:

Currently this is exactly what happens though...after the beast is spotted and swiftly taken to a location, it stays there waiting for the kill in a themepark fashion.

The current method of penning and slaying is not fixed by the wurm system. Players came up with that method a long time ago and it has remained the favoured way olfor slaying uniques. But we also have the freedom to interact with uniques any other way we choose to. 

I don't want all uniques disappearing because they have rift beams that everyone goes to just like rifts. There's no more fun in finding them.

If you find a unique, it would be way less of a thrill and rewarding, but it would also appeal more to more people who are more homebodies/deedmakers and don't go out into the woods often.

There's a huge web of stuff here, and there is no real way to make a unique hunting system that appeals to everyone, unique hunters will go out less because they'll care less about finding it and seeing one, and people who complain and don't search for them will be a lot more happy. But in reality, uniques are not the property of the people of the server, and should not be expected as such.

Do you see me sharing my money with people or people sharing their money with me? do you see people giving free hand outs all the time of their rare armour sets or anything that most can't have access to due to skills or patience?  Uniques are kinda the same, they're your right to toy with if you find it, and know where it is, you can let your friends play with it too and have a real great time with them, it's an experience!

I myself am not a part of any unique hunting communities or anything, I only go to public events and yet I still believe it's... well.. Sorta fine the way it is. Uniques are what people make of it, @Oblivionnreaver@LordLouis@StarsHollowI thank these three, they have been great unique event hosts. Like I said, unique hunts are what communities make it, these three have often decided to make for the public, while some others like to keep them to themselves, and that's fine! you found it! You and your group of friends and what not get to do whatever you want with it, I appreciate it when you make it public, but I don't mind if you don't, because that's your choice in wurm, and the people you choose to leave your marks on.

There are some things that I do believe are silly however, like how drake and scale drops are distributed among everyone equally and how little it drops, and doesn't increase by bonus amounts even when a ton of players are in local, making the amount to be like only 0.06kg's, I do believe it should be dependent on contribution too to prevent people in local getting scale and drake just from... sitting in a boat down the mountain being premium, not doing anything. It's an image that bothers me because, they did nothing and got extra scale/drake that I could have had just because I didn't pay 2s of my money to have a character sit around and take scale/drake on my behalf.

Edited by Wiolo
Worked out some typos.
  • Like 4

On 11/12/2018 at 8:17 AM, Ayes said:

The suggestion I like most from the main post is tying Dragons to a fixed spot radius from which they can not be lured out of. Sure this eliminates the "fun" of hunting them down but it also eliminates those hunters from penning them up for their own purposes, which I think are what I already pointed out $$$. The other advantage to this is that it protects the general population from their random destruction and player killing tendencies.

That's how they already work, they spawn and they can't leave the area 90% of the time, if you try to walk them out they just shoot back to their spawn point, unless they're part of the very small % of uniques that'll chase across the map. That's part of why it's problematic when it spawns next to/inside someone's deed, coz they'll just sit there and camp you/bash everything if everyone leaves. Funny thing too, if you die to a unique and there's nobody in the area, it'll sit directly on top of your corpse and guard it. always hilarious to see

Slaying Dragons has always been the big money ticket within Wurm due to the armors that can be made from them and then sold; because of this I would not bundle them with other "Uniques" in terms of desirability and adjustments made. The other Uniques are just status symbols with minimal rewards for killing them and the idea of hunting them for enjoyment comes into play on more real basis.

wrong way around, humanoids are the big money tickets for the penner coz tomes n stuff, and dragons are shared loot between everyone in local. Humanoids are the big money ticket, whereas hatchlings are the hunting enjoyment, because they give so little hide it's not worth hunting them

These spawn locations could still be random but they should be No Build spots (ohh... like Rifts) when the Dragon is spawned. Why? So those who enjoyed the fun of hunting them down could not restrict anyone else from killing them once they were located. No fun of the hunt removed, only the control of the proceeds $$$. The Dragon spawning should still be announced though (by whatever common means) so that everyone would be notified to start looking if they wished.

That doesn't really help anyone except huge private hunt groups that can muster up a slaying team quickly, so it'd do nothing to change the control of the $$$ proceeds, it'd remove the ability to slay it for the majority of people so they wouldn't have a reason to hunt it (who has enough friends that they could round up 20 people to slay at any time of the day?) and it'd remove public slayings entirely. I really don't see how that helps anyone except elite hunt groups.

A much more fair system to give all Wurm players the chance to die at the hands (feet too) of these fiendish Wurm creatures. Heck, they might even survive the experience and come away with something they were denied the opportunity of before by certain individuals.

Do dragon hunters come to your house and break your legs if you hunt or something? you're just as able to hunt as anyone else, it's perfectly fair as it is, some people are just better at it than others, which isn't hard because everyone believes it's impossible and decides not to do it, then cries on the forums about how unbalanced it is.

• Like 3