Sign in to follow this  
MrJonnyboy

Uniques Overhaul

3 hours ago, Amadee said:

+1 for something/anything being changed/improved. 

Imo, unique "hunts" have become a joke.  And the attitude of some, that anyone-I-don't-like should be excluded is part and parcel of the prevailing Wurm-Elite attitude that drives off so many newer folks, or sends them packing for WU.  As it is right now, (with the exception of a small few who make them public, kudos to those folks), if you're not in with one of the In-Crowds, that particular Wurm feature is off limits for you.  Unique kills should not be own-able, any more than a hunting area with a bunch of trolls should be.

The only good thing has been that the unique hunters do prevent the beasties from running rampant and ruining people's deeds. Imo, that is literally the only good thing about the current system.   I like how a few of the WU servers handle the unique kills, but even those are somewhat hampered by the existing code imo and could stand some improvement because they just go too fast once the beastie is engaged.  At least they're fair though and anyone is welcome to participate and even *gasp* get some of the loot. 

And as for the economy and monopoly on dragon scale armor where some folks make literally 100s of RL dollars/euros off of this game, I say economy-be-damned if it interferes with the enjoyment of the majority.

Not only scale/hide, the others uniques have higher chance of tomes, but easily can be disguessed as "come all, and get your blood" as other kill it for them

No easy way of prevent alt abuse too

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Amadee said:

if you're not in with one of the In-Crowds, that particular Wurm feature is off limits for you

Thats just straight up not true, ive been hunting by myself for half a year and have found 25 uniques in that time. People grossly exaggerate how effective a large group is.

The only reason large groups found all the uniques is because nobody apart from them hunted them.

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 4

?

Edited by LordLouis
Moderation Edit.
  • Like 6

Mainly, I just want these elusive uniques to move every week or so.

And please prevent them spawning/moving to places that are too high up.

And once one is killed have another respawn in a day or so in another random place.

This little nudge should make it better.

2 minutes ago, CrazyDad543 said:

Mainly, I just want these elusive uniques to move every week or so.

Please, no. :( Not without doing something about their newbie-eating, deed-wrecking habits.

We had a red dragon on Serenity that did -exactly- that; it wasn't tethered, and it was a serious problem for a long time.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

Please, no. :( Not without doing something about their newbie-eating, deed-wrecking habits.

We had a red dragon on Serenity that did -exactly- that; it wasn't tethered, and it was a serious problem for a long time.

Why not just have a public hunt for it. I'm more than sure you could had it killed quickly and maybe work out a deal for some of the loot

44 minutes ago, CrazyDad543 said:

And once one is killed have another respawn in a day or so in another random place.

While I agree they should increase the spawn rate, I think having one up almost constantly will be a bit of a pain like roccandil said.

I’m not really sure I have a solid perspective or opinion on this, but I did want to add what I think based on what I’ve seen in my relatively brief time in the game.

I’ve talked with a good handful of experienced players that are regulars at our settlement and brought up the idea of unique hunting.  Every time the response is the same-  not much point, as most all uniques are fenced off and deeded over to reserve for private hunts.  That, or they are lost on Xanadu somewhere unreachable.  My best bet is to keep my ears open and my fingers crossed, and wait for a public slaying to be held.  

All I can say in response to that is, I find the way uniques work now particularly aggravating.

I can’t say I have a solution to offer, I can just say that listening to vets discuss this topic throws a lot of cold water on the anticipated excitement I had when I first learned of their existence in Wurm and considered the prospect of hunting them.  Something is broken in the way the unique system works now, from my nebie-ish perspective.

And while I can’t offer a solution with much credibility, I must admit that the thought of a hunting only server that has the occasional unique spawn there sounds exciting. May not be any real need to change the way uniques work on the current servers if they spawned occasionally on a no deed, no building allowed hunting server.

Humbly submitted...

~TH~

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Thalius said:

Every time the response is the same-  not much point, as most all uniques are fenced off and deeded over to reserve for private hunts.  That, or they are lost on Xanadu somewhere unreachable

2 minutes ago, Thalius said:

I can just say that listening to vets discuss this topic throws a lot of cold water on the anticipated excitement I had when I first learned of their existence in Wurm and considered the prospect of hunting them.

the more people they can convince that hunting uniques is impossible, the less people search for them which in turn makes it easier for them to find them, furthering the impression that it's impossible because one group of people always find it. It's worked pretty well considering the amount of people i've seen say "only giant groups can hunt". There's two hatchlings penned on xanadu that i know of, every other one is just in hiding somewhere hard to get to. It's really not that hard to hunt uniques, everyone just repeats what their friends cousins uncle that saw a unique once said.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

the more people they can convince that hunting uniques is impossible, the less people search for them which in turn makes it easier for them to find them, furthering the impression that it's impossible because one group of people always find it. It's worked pretty well considering the amount of people i've seen say "only giant groups can hunt". There's two hatchlings penned on xanadu that i know of, every other one is just in hiding somewhere hard to get to. It's really not that hard to hunt uniques, everyone just repeats what their friends cousins uncle that saw a unique once said.

Nice attempt to dismiss my comment without actually offering anything constructive in response to what I actually said.

I am not simply repeating what others have said, and they are not offering those comments in a selfish attempt to keep myself and others from hunting them so they can reduce the competition.  The players I speak of I know well, and they only attend a unique slaying when one is publicly held.

Also, I never said hunting uniques was hard.  They seem to be fairly easily found on most servers but Xanadu, which is why they tend to be penned in and deeded over rather quickly.

Okay so they're just parroting what people have told them about unique hunting, which is flat out wrong. Not sure how forming your own opinion from false facts is any better. Why would i be constructive towards something that's wrong? Uniques on xanadu aren't unreachable, goat shape and stamina sandwiches/wine exist to climb mountains, if you look at map dumps you can get a good guess at where they would be because there's no deeds or terraforming on certain mountains which means nobody's been up there which means its more likely to have uniques up there. I go around unexplored places on xanadu and i've found two uniques myself while grinding weapon skills there, it's far from impossible.

If they're found easily on other servers, travel to the other servers when they spawn.

• Like 1

Please keep the drama to a minimum. I wanted this to be a unique suggestion/discussion thread, not a drama thread. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CrazyDad543 said:

Why not just have a public hunt for it. I'm more than sure you could had it killed quickly and maybe work out a deal for some of the loot

Until recently, the pop on Serenity was much too low to do slayings (and it's only high enough now because of Freedomers crossing over to help).

Desertion is the place in peril now: they have more uniques than they know what to do with, and hardly any pop there to deal with them. Any Freedomers who want to hunt uniques for the fun of it could contact Wilczan (Beardyman); I'm sure he'd appreciate it. :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

Until recently, the pop on Serenity was much too low to do slayings (and it's only high enough now because of Freedomers crossing over to help).

Desertion is the place in peril now: they have more uniques than they know what to do with, and hardly any pop there to deal with them. Any Freedomers who want to hunt uniques for the fun of it could contact Wilczan (Beardyman); I'm sure he'd appreciate it. :)

...so what you are saying is there already IS a hunting server where people can go for the thrill of hunting dragons, kyklops, forest giants...? :P 

I totally agree with the comment about not letting them wreck deeds and kill people for fun all day, essentially they can be massively destructive to the point where people don't log in until they are dealt with, because what is the point?  How about if they set foot on a deed they immediately get teleported away?  Would perhaps also take care of the deeding over them situation...

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Fairyshine said:

...so what you are saying is there already IS a hunting server where people can go for the thrill of hunting dragons, kyklops, forest giants...? :P 

As a matter of fact. :)

• Like 2

i like the idea but i like the system we have. it is exciting when your online and get that text in your event. grab the horse and take off.
as some sayed it is about greed, i mean its a unique who could make you some coin ingame or not if willing to sell its valuables. the private groups are nice with the recommended timezone/date system but the public are sometimes a hit and miss but usually a nice community killing.
if bloods if not the scale/hide was made server-wide, i think that would cut down alota private hunting and bring mor public events. the tome could still be on drop but make the bone and skull drop to inv when slain. having the motivation to capture it for that tome.
let them walk around and change there "center" area if not let more spawn faster.

Hello everyone. :)

I have a few ideas and thoughts. With the way things are now currently, I have the opinion that server hopping and getting in on every unique kill shouldn't happen. Probably not a popular opinion. But oh well.

If you premium a new character for the reduced 2s price and get at least .10 scale/hide and sell it for something cheap like 35c per .01kg you can sell it for 3.50s so gaining a 1.50s profit. Thats dumb and shouldn't be a thing.

A hunting server where uniques spawn wouldn't solve anything. They'd still spawn in hard to reach spots and people would still sail up in knarrs full of alts. But I personally would hate having to travel to another server just for unique slayings every time. Because depending on wind and location that could take hours. And long sailing trips are not fun. Also I think that would cause more drama for whichever hunting party finds it and is able to drag it away to a spot away from other people to secretly kill it to get more scale/hide. And other parties would try to drag it away to do the same. That whole scenario just doesnt sound fun.

People have put up some good ideas but nothing for preventing a single person rowing up with a knarr full of alts to collect some easy scale/hide.
Bloods too but I dont think thats the real issue. I'd love to hear any ideas trying to solve that issue.

First idea I have is pretty simple. Have it so your character can only be attuned to 1 server. And while attuned you get loot (hide/scale/blood/sorcery charge) from unique kills like normal. And it takes a character a long time to attune to a new server ( like 7 days for example) you could also get other benefits as well. Like maybe a 5% chance of increased coin finding from fighting or killing or maybe a 1% skill gain bump overall.It would be similar to your personal bank at tokens. Like how you can only have 1 and requires a 24 hour period of you shifting it to a new token. 

This idea would prevent people from server hopping a bunch. But not so much on the preventing a bunch of alts showing up.

Second idea would be if the unique still random spawned somewhere on the map but was friendly. And when it spawned it adds a new mission to the other missions. Like saccing items to the unique or maybe something new. And you would have to go and do that. And after the mission is over or failed, then the unique becomes hostile. If the goal of the mission is met the unique would have increased drop rate percent of sorcery/bones and increased hide/scale. Could take it a step further and say only the people that participated in the mission get the loot. Which might help with the alt problem. Though some people (myself included) stockpile everything like crazy. But would help with people server hopping.

Third idea (Niki gave me this idea) is that after a Drake/Dragon is slain whelplings appear everywhere on the map for a limited amount of time. When they're killed you can loot scale/hide from them.This would help those that are not invited to the private slayings. Or maybe have a mission pop up saying to slay a certain amount of whelplings for a reward of scale/hide.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Deadrook said:

People have put up some good ideas but nothing for preventing a single person rowing up with a knarr full of alts to collect some easy scale/hide.
Bloods too but I dont think thats the real issue. I'd love to hear any ideas trying to solve that issue.

OK:

- Every prem toon in local gets scale/hide like blood. Balance the the amount per toon accordingly. Yeah, there's a downside, but the upside is that there is less incentive to steal uniques (economically, I suppose it would still pay to restrict access, to reduce the inflow of scale/drake and make it worth more).

- Every prem toon on the server gets the same amount of scale/hide/blood. Crazy, I know (and would be an issue on Elevation/Chaos).

- Award scale/hide for damage done. This kinda sucks, due to RNG, and elite toons doing the damage, but at least then the alts would need to do something to get anything. Problem is, the HP of the unique still counts as a scale/hide limit, which encourages private slayings.

- A combo of the above: everyone in local gets a base amount of scale/hide, but damage done gives you more.

I'm not really happy with any of the above, to be honest.

On 11/7/2018 at 2:16 PM, MrJonnyboy said:

...certain color beam besides red to mark the location...

Wurm being an open world sandbox game, corralling uniques into a Rift-like event goes against that.

A big part of the excitement around unique spawns is the hunt - exploring the lands, riding, running and climbing everywhere to track them down. You might even run into them while minding your own business. This freedom is a thing of beauty. Sure it's difficult to track them down, and then you have to slay them for the drops. But that makes the whole affair worthwhile.

Por favor, do not neuter this wild open freedom that we have right now and reduce unique hunts to themepark events.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mataleao said:

Wurm being an open world sandbox game, corralling uniques into a Rift-like event goes against that.

Sadly right now you have two options :

1/ You either go full public like some people wishes and making it like rifts is the easiest and most public way to do them. No more private slaying. No more loot being kept by the organizer. No more FUD around rigged rolls... yadda yadda yadda.

2/ Or you keep them random, but for that you would have to make them sneaky, there is no REAL hunting when at a twitter notice anyone who doesn't have a RL in the way can load in an account or two and spam locate creature on a whole server. A pendulum only or tracking ways of finding them would encourage that part.

One thing is sure though, uniques are not meant for LARGE public kills, you have a limit on how many players can hit the beast, you have a limit on the loot (back to the scalabity of the thing... no minimum drops on drakes/dragons), connection and client issues due to the amount of players, wurm weirdness, computer harware and settings, etc.

If the game was to remain an open world sandbox we should be able to have all kind of hunts : private or public - small or large, but this goes with a rework on them.

• Removing the twitter feed would be a start, just like the traders money gains warning were removed.
  • Increasing the number of spawns would be a second one.
  • Scalling the difficulty would be a third, meaning that you can take down a unique with a couple of friends (okay, half a dozen maybe) OR with 50+ people while keeping the thrill of a boss fight. Though it's a matter of preferences but a 20 minutes fight where everyone have to be hitting, healing, casting mass stamina and being on a razor edge is slightly more fun than a 2 minutes slapathlon.
  • Getting rid of the RNG for the loot, it's bad, you can either have a tome or not, you can either succeed to butcher a bone or not (then rarity+), you can have a small amount of hide/scale or a large one. You can basicly get something or almost nothing (blood is almost nothing). Going for some min/max scale/hide values would be great. Doing the same with some magic inks instead of tomes would be good as well.
  • Without (/or with - if we want to go crazy) a spawn amount increase having weaker semi-uniques roaming around would be a nice middle ground, chances to get something nice (blood, scale, hide, high value archaeo fragments, etc) for smaller group of hunters... or even lone crazy wolves.
  • Behavior... Uniques are lil bitches able to wreak havock around them, they are able to instantly destroy house walls, 90QL fences in a few hits, follow people around for miles or spawn in the middle of a deed and doing all the above. True penning prevention (lock the beast in a 25x25 area rift like - no ability to mine / build here) and removing the destruction would be a plus... By keeping the tethering behavior of the rift mobs, it would also prevent the "HALP A DRAGON IS CHASING ME" which while fun for experienced hunters is not really for new players.
  • Like 5

I'll just spitball a possibly dumb idea in the ring.

Instead of throwing the whole system away, what about making the hunt itself a bit easier and more accessible? I imagine that tracks left by uniques could work different from other tracks based on how big they usually are, so that

1. Tracks last until the creature is slain, since they're big and bad and would leave massive footsteps. (Goblin Leader has some wogic way for doing that, possibly by producing conspicious pink poop along the way.)

2. In addition to showing the direction where it went, tracking could check out nearby tree tiles for "ruffled branches" etc. and whatever a massive creature would do to forests while passing through. (Again, the Goblin Leader just likes to mess with trees, he's an impulsive little ###### who can't help leaving destruction in his trail.) With other words, in forests tracking effectively covers a larger area of tiles, making it easier to pick up uniques' tracks there.

It makes (mostly) sense to make tracking easier since enormous creatures like that aren't exactly inconspicious.

It would give some actual use to Tracking on Freedom, and at least somewhat dispense with the neccessity to have "Locate Creature" or whatever magical helping tool so it's easier to pick up a hunt and makes it even possible to stumble into a trail if you keep doing some light tracking during travels.

The permanent nature of unique tracks would still leave it thrilling (in my opinion) since when you find a unique track, you have little idea of telling how far this'll lead you away. (Except for the age of the tracks, but that's not a precise metric at all, especially at low skill. There's also a possible discussion about how Tracking Skill plays further into this information, but that'd be going on a tangent right now, I think it could work just fine with the two points above. But feel free to add or detract from this idea as you please.)

+1

no more private slayings or penning them.

other then that, make blacksmithing and leatherworking alternatives to drake and scale that uses hard to find but available resources and make those armors close to same as the scale and drake which kills the prices and therefor the need to private slayings, then people who want to attend the PVE event are there to kill a dragon, not just because they want drake armor and not pay 80 Euros.

spider silk for drake, and some form of metal alloy for a scale version.

• Like 2

On 11/8/2018 at 3:35 AM, Fairyshine said:

Desertion currently looks like hunting server. Plenty of mobs everywhere, steppes filled with horses, bisons and other things. At least 5 uniques spotted by myself, could be more.

And by coming here, you bring all your stats, so only need gear and horses wich some people can provide.

If someone on freedom would like to kill unique just for fun, and cannot do it couse of constant penning  and private slayings, can easily do it here.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Flubb said:

1. Tracks last until the creature is slain, since they're big and bad and would leave massive footsteps. (Goblin Leader has some wogic way for doing that, possibly by producing conspicious pink poop along the way.)

The tracking idea is intresting, but if you're close enough to find tracks then chances are you're close enough for the unique to come beat you up, they pretty much never roam, only a small % of them will be able to freely move 100 tiles away from where they spawned, and even then unless they aggro'd on something (person nearby or they're starving) they will only pace around a small area. Part of the reason why so many uniques on xanadu have never been spotted in years. the way they behave could definately do with a rework however

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 1