Sign in to follow this  
Batta

Mod conflicts mod

Is it possible to make a mod or tool that will scan existing server mods and look for conflicts?  It is such a time consuming process to disable mods one at a time until I find which one is making another mod no longer work. Since the server itself seems to "know" - i.e. it just disables one of the mods - wouldn't there be some way to let the server owner know?

• Like 1

I believe that would be a very difficult task, but I may suggest that modders work out a model for listing what classes, fields and methods have been modified to check for possible conflicts. In some cases changing a method does not collide with another mod changing the same method, but if one mod replaces the method body, then it will make a conflict with the other mod most likely. If all modders make a habit of listing modified classes, fields and methods, you can match which mods will have less risk of colliding.

In some cases listing modified methods may not help that much. This is because WU likes to use huge catchall-all complex methods. We do some some simple or single purpose methods (like we would expect in Java OOP). But there are also methods that are thousands of lines long with 10 levels deep of if-else logic. It's better then nothing if folks where to list modification.

Where would we put such notes? and is there a better way then the author writing notes after every change?