Sign in to follow this  
JakeRivers

[Fixed] Are wells broken?

Well on the 3rd floor of my shop dried up, ground level still works. I have a well on each floor, 3 in total on the same tile and they have worked well as a water source for a few years.

That sounds more like a bug got fixed than anything else - are wells supposed to work off ground level?

Yes, they are supposed to work both upstairs and downstairs (in mines), fairly common to have one on more than one level.

Ground floor and second floor working, tried unloading and putting the well back in place and will see if this will work.

Something of note, I do not get the option any longer to drink from the well closed, I do get this option on the other 2 wells that work.

I tried it with this setup below and all my water sources filled and had drink options(4 well and 4 fountain), if you wouldn't mind taking a few pictures of your setup I would be happy to try it again with that otherwise I must be missing something to reproduce it.

43d69ded51e84a822a46e36989d88b34.png

• Like 1

Pretty much the same deal, the well worked for the past few years just fine, it only stopped working a week or two ago. I did have each well centered on the tile so they lined up from top to bottom. 3 floors, 3 wells, what is unusual is it is like the well itself is broken as it no longer has the drink option on the drop down menu. (it should have the drink option whether it is on a source tile or not if it has liquid inside)

Can get a screen shot later, it is Jakes Shop on my Exodus deed, The Old Contemptibles

Edited by JakeRivers

Okay still not working, did more tests and put in a support ticket about the problem tonight.

GM Pomona came to take a peak at the offending well and while she was here I dimmed a dozen of them lamps in the shop to cut down the glare.

I was looking at the well when I noticed the woad on the far side.

UXiOQQX.jpg?1

I was like it can't be this simple right? No idea which of my friends put the woad on my well, but this was what the problem was. Once the woad was removed, I put some water in the well and could drink from it with the right click menu, put the woad back on and you couldn't. Once the well was fully filled, you got this message when trying to place the woad; [20:43:44] There is no room for the woad on the well.

Take a few kg's out and you can put it back, but this stops the water feature of the well from working properly.

So anyone with a well do not put woad or any other object on it if you want it to be a functional well, or maybe the dev's can fix it?

Placing items technically puts them in the items container slot, you can see it if you pick up/load something with items in it. items on top of a water container will take away max volume equal to the amount it takes up because of this. the drink option is the same with any other liquid containers, if it has water in it you can context drink it, but if you had food in the same barrel for example you couldn't and would have to right click the water itself to drink. Usually it gives a "that would destroy the liquid" if it can't accept both solids and liquids in the same container but a fountain filling up doesn't have an action assigned so probably fell through the cracks

Edited by Oblivionnreaver

I'm glad you figured this out it had me quite stumped, good to know for future reference thanks for the update!  Funny enough if you look at your picture from last month you can see it in there to.  I'll add the not being able to drink with items placed on it to the bug list.

04kgpvk.jpg?1

The woad would of eventually decayed, like after another few months or more, then the well would of mysteriously started working again.

Good to know anyways

• Like 1