Sign in to follow this  
puncher

Deleting accounts

So if I was wanting all my accounts to be PERMANENTLY DELETED.. I mean all data all items everything that is tied to it can I request it?

Simple question see if I can get a simple answer.

i'll take it if you don't want it lul. 

friend asked in the past and they said they won't.

I suspect one reason they won't do it even on request, is because some people put enormous real life money into accounts, many wurmians have ENORMOUS emotional ties to characters, people trade and swap and share accounts, and estranged relationships can lead to people "requesting" an account deletion in a vengeance move  that could maybe lead to litigation or something. 

Are you trying to break a Wurm habit? Why not sell the accounts for $5? Or if you do not want your name connected,  ask a friend to take possession of them and change all of the passwords.

But what if you wanna get back to it one day? ? not sure why'd you wanna perma delete, but it's up to you of course.

No. Change your password to some random text you won't save, switch your accounts to a temporary email then delete the email account. yw (mail all the good stuff to me)

Edited by faty
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, puncher said:

So if I was wanting all my accounts to be PERMANENTLY DELETED.. I mean all data all items everything that is tied to it can I request it?

Simple question see if I can get a simple answer.

We have no automated method for this. However under GDPR, we will honor the request on an as-needed basis.

https://www.datarequests.org/blog/sample-letter-gdpr-erasure-request/

Send your request to contact@wurmonline.com, and do keep in mind that you will be required to prove ownership of the account. Those details will be requested after the request for erasure is received.

I hope this helps.

• Like 7

European laws are very much more pro-consumer rights, so those of us in America may not realize they can protect our rights too, at least with gaming countries that cater to a worldwide audience and thus must have a uniform practice to handle everyone.

GDPR I think is from 2016 which is why requests made earlier than that, may not have succeeded:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation

Thank you keenan I will gather the information together and send it to you.  Its very simple people I longer want to be a part of wurm or the game.  I dont want accounts I spent money on sitting forever on a server I will never access again.  World of tanks and Eve online allow you to delete your accounts and biomass your characters.  I am simply removing myself completely from settings I wont go back to again.  Is it easy to do NO.  IS it needed for me to not be drawn back in YES.  Very simple if you find something that sucks you in DESTROY IT.  Leave nothing left to go back to and you won't .  For some of us that suffer from addictions, this is literally the only way to stop.  I also have a fair amount angst with some things and not having them there helps me focus on other things in life.

• Like 5

I have sent my own request.
Delete me

Mail contained username and password.
nothing to see here
The deed will stand for 17 years. I want my forum account to end.
right now.
i wait patiently for 1 week before seeking my rights through a governing body.
Data protection rights are global.
don't make me self destruct publicly. ban me from the forum if that's the only way.
Sober, sound, mind.

Edited by Steveleeb

Atm one probably needs to break rule(s), and don't bother with the small stuff.

Go out with a bang.

Atm the official policy is no deletions, even if the account has never had prem.

Edited by Karrde

Sad to see people perma want to quit , but best way is to get account band sadly .

Banning doesn't delete the data forming the account, it just prevents them from logging in with that account.

True but sounds like person wants a way to not play any more anyway possible .

Banning sounds like it .

But i was told they can remove all info awhile back .

Someone else asked same thing in CA .

On 11/5/2018 at 3:46 AM, Keenan said:

We have no automated method for this. However under GDPR, we will honor the request on an as-needed basis.

https://www.datarequests.org/blog/sample-letter-gdpr-erasure-request/

Send your request to contact@wurmonline.com, and do keep in mind that you will be required to prove ownership of the account. Those details will be requested after the request for erasure is received.

I hope this helps.

To my knowledge this information is still accurate, and if you wish you can make the request there. 

Requesting here or via any other means other then the one listed above will not reach the desired outcome.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 10:24 PM, Steveleeb said:

I have sent my own request.
Delete me

Sounds boastful to me. If you want to go, good riddance. If you want your data deleted, follow the procedure Keenan described,

As to the legal stuff: GDPR only extends to EU, and, to my knowledge, does not necessarily apply back in time before 2016. So your threat with "governing body" sounds hollow if you are logging from the Americas, Australia, or UK. The team offered a generous way to handle such requests, no point bragging.

I don't even reroll my characters in MO. So much hard work to just erase...

Just give all your stuff to friends. Or better yet, you don't have to play all day. Keep the accounts and log on only now and then when you can/feel like it. I took a 5 month break once, then came back and took back the ruins of my household. Then wanted to quit the game again, but changed my mind, asked my friend for all my boats and buildings back, and simply played when I can. Can't say I was non-stop addicted tho, just can't let the game go. It's like part of my life, even though for some time I don't log on that very often and my projects are a bit on hold.

On 11/17/2023 at 11:24 PM, Steveleeb said:

Data protection rights are global.

Speak to someone who knows this stuff. It isn't that easy. What you say here is very ambiguous. In my country, and I am sure many other countries, a lot of court cases get dismissed. If you already sent a letter I guess it's only a matter of them confirming you are the owner of that account and they can remove it. I guess...

Edited by Idlamn