Sign in to follow this  
Fairyshine

Lead animals never unlead

I have a few tricky turns to get into and out of my house, and constantly "stop leading" a horse (or deer, sheep, etc.) and then I have to go out to start leading again, position the cart just "so" and then hope to be successful this time around in dragging the horse into the house behind me.

It would be great if lead animals don't stop being lead and thus ignore the restrictions of walls the same way they ignore the restrictions of fences. 

I have no idea who owns the pic below, but this is the type of thing I would like to avoid.

5RQcKfd.jpg

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 12

+1 this would be good for led animals.

It might also need a check before un-leading to make sure the animal is the same side of nearby walls as the leader, i.e.there is not a wall between the animal and the leader before manually stopping leading.

The animal should also remain led if logging out/in.

This is purely to stop Fairyshine 'accidentally' filling my house with animals. (j/k) ;) 

Edited by Muse
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Muse said:

+1 this would be good for led animals.

It might also need a check before un-leading to make sure the animal is the same side of nearby walls as the leader, i.e.there is not a wall between the animal and the leader before manually stopping leading.

The animal should also remain led if logging out/in.

This is purely to stop Fairyshine 'accidentally' filling my house with animals. (j/k) ;) 

? ....but a house filled with animals is so cool! I would be doing you a favour! ?

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 2

+1 for sure.  Make house walls more like fence walls, or simply round out the corners a bit to let them "slide" around the corner better.

Another idea would be to make any animals on a leash follow your exact steps, rather than cutting corners like now.  That would eliminate a lot of hells and other non-swimmer animals from getting dropped on a crooked shore line.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Muse said:

Good point! I'd rather see a message about that than suddenly find animals I've been leading are stuck somewhere.

28 minutes ago, Wurmhole said:

That would eliminate a lot of hells and other non-swimmer animals from getting dropped on a crooked shore line.

That's a tough one, but a workaround for it would be nice.

I would like a very short lead rope.  The current one is way too long and you can't even get two horses close enough to each other in a small area, you always need two by one blocks to at least get the horse into the space.  Very short leads would enable horses to follow the person on the cart or wagon very close to where they are, thus also not getting unlead in a house wall.

• Like 5

Just pay attention to where you are and stop cutting corners when leading, its not rocket science.

29 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Just pay attention to where you are and stop cutting corners when leading, its not rocket science.

It's a burden that the developers should -want- to carry, instead of dumping it on their players.

• Like 2

I think it was made that way so people wouldn't be able to take animals out of buildings they should not have access too, I could be wrong on this, but it would make sense.

2 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

I think it was made that way so people wouldn't be able to take animals out of buildings they should not have access too, I could be wrong on this, but it would make sense.

How would they start leading the animals through walls though? And if there's some corner case, the "lead distance" could be decreased, perhaps using a shorter rope. This should help with this and has been requested for animal breeding aswell.

5 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

its not rocket science.

it sure isn't, if you play KSP you notice that (gamified) rocket science is actual fun. The little nuisances in the game that people rightfully point out and you for some reason defend with these petty appeals are no fun.

• Like 3

That feel though when a tamed champ troll gets "led" into a person's house.

• Like 1

This is a good suggestion. The only problem I see with it is that after a while all that *lead* would start to weigh them down and decrease their speed drastically. There really needs to be some way to un-lead them, like into bulk bins for later smelting. Maybe they could auto un-lead if passing over a bulk bin?

=Ayes=

• Like 2

Armyskin brings up a good point, please let us lead animals through buildings, so I can dump random critters into homes to troll naked priests and trader alts. ;)

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:25 AM, JakeRivers said:

Very similar to pulling a trailer with your truck.  If you're still hitting the mailbox trying to back into the driveway, you clearly need more practice.  Make wider turns, this change isn't needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wargasm said:

Very similar to pulling a trailer with your truck.  If you're still hitting the mailbox trying to back into the driveway, you clearly need more practice.  Make wider turns, this change isn't needed.

Id like it if leading a horse was comparable to driving with a trailer, because you can at least control where the trailer goes...  you can't control where your horse goes however, certainly not to an exact path.  I have a house touching a mine exit, I can either exit the mine and turn and the horse I'm leading follows perfectly and doesn't get stuck, or it can pause at the exit until you move 3 tiles then it exits out the side of the mine and lunges forward at lightning speed on the wrong side of the house getting stuck.  If lead animals could just follow your exact path, that'd be great

• Like 1

But there is no path, its like pulling a inner tube behind a boat, if you cut the corner, expect your buddy to have a unhappy time.

Either plan your spots out better, or use animal cages to move stuff around problem spots.

• Like 1

It kind of seems like a no-brainer, but just a reminder:  Wurm is a game.  It is not real life.  This suggestion relates to a Quality of Life improvement in a space where I would like to minimize my stress and maximise relaxation.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JakeRivers said:

But there is no path, its like pulling a inner tube behind a boat, if you cut the corner, expect your buddy to have a unhappy time.

Either plan your spots out better, or use animal cages to move stuff around problem spots.

Pulling something behind a boat then cutting the corner would cause the dragged item to overshoot the turn, not undercut it

Make lead animals more like pulling things behind a boat +1 good idea

• Like 1

I can now imagine the small led animal whizzing around your ankles like a skip ball.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Muse said:

I can now imagine the small led animal whizzing around your ankles like a skip ball.

schnitzel-the-dachshund-dog-chief-connem

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Fairyshine said:

schnitzel-the-dachshund-dog-chief-connem

What better incentive to add more dogs and continue improving animal taming? :D  Best gif I've seen in ages, would give more likes if I could.

• Like 1

+1 

Yes please! And while we're at it, it would be nice if the horse you were leading before you mounted it, would not lose it's lead once you dismount (just like ships and carts these days). 

• Like 4