Sign in to follow this  
Ostentatio

Remove "decoration" decay even when placed on racks/surfaces

Its sad how this game manages to sometimes hurt itself for no reason at all.

Unless I am missing something, this should be an easy, quick and uncontroversial fix of great value for many people.

+1

A decoration should count as such irrespective of where placed, and so take no damage when placed on surfaces other than the floor - such as on a table or in a bookshelf. Little point in trying to keep things tidy, by displaying things on surfaces if they are going to take decay. Might as well just scatter them on the floor...

• Like 2

+1 a quintillion times.

Fix already ffs.

• Like 1

+1, sadly awaiting the decay of the champ warmaster heart over my Fo altar

+1 to idea, -1 to laziness of the team

TBH, I think that nothing placed on a table that is on deed should take decay at all, aside from maybe food items.

I tried to set up a banquet table, only to realize that every 2 to 3 months I lose all of my forks/spoons/knives/plates because there was so much nearsightedness when this feature was released that they didn't even bother to make it useful, they just copied the incomplete code from some guys mod and called it a "feature" cause they couldn't be assed to come up with an original idea. (I didn't really even see proper credit given for that btw)

Edited by whereami
  • Like 1

You would think it would be in the games best interest to have people displaying their nice decorations and sharing the pictures online.

And the graphic artists didnt spend all that time making things look good just to have them stored on an alt for fear of decay.

Please devs, work your magic!

• Like 1

one day we will have this.

and it will be a great day.

Just FYI guys. Had a little discussion on Discord with some people and it's not as easy as we might think. So the way that items work when put on surfaces is that they are technically placed in the "container" of that piece of furniture (even though visually they are on the surface). We wanted items on tables and this was a way they could do that. Thus, anything that decays in a container such as a chest, would decay exactly the same way when placed on top of a table. Basically anything that would cause a "Pile of items" on the ground, is something that is vulnerable to decay. The amount of items you can put on that piece of furniture depends on how many items it's container allows. 

Now the biggest problem if they made a way for items to stop taking decay on tables and such, would be that the world would start to fill with more and more items cluttering up the database and eventually this would cause lag since nothing would be naturally decaying away anymore.

In Ultima Online, they had a gardening system where you grew plants and could either keep them "alive" and producing seeds and other resources, or you could convert them into decorative items. That system worked in UO without causing database overload because every house plot had an upper limit to how many items you could "lock down" in it. Something we don't have in Wurm (thank god). But the luxuries that we enjoy in regards to endless inventory need to be controlled in other ways by the devs, so the game doesn't become slow for us.

So, although we as players may often think "Oh that should be easy to do" or "devs are lazy" - the truth of the matter is that neither of those facts are true. We just don't know or understand the inner workings and restrictions that the devs need to deal with to make our game as wonderful as it is. 

• Like 1

There is a technical challenge here for sure. But its not undoable.

All I am asking for is to not have decorative items on deed decay away.

It would even be fine with a limit of number of items (depending on deed size) before decay starts.

16 minutes ago, griper said:

It would even be fine with a limit of number of items (depending on deed size) before decay starts.

Actually I'm glad you said that, because it's similar to something I said in that conversation as well. I said if item count is a problem, then perhaps we could lessen the amount of items allowed to be placed on top of the item. I assume that most wurmians would be happy to sacrifice the "high amount" for having items not decay in exchange. Of course with some items like book shelves and dining tables, we would want more so we could set a table with dishes etc. Not sure how the rest of you feel? 

Point being: Players would probably be happy to make sacrifices to make this happen?

Edited by Malena
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Malena said:

Now the biggest problem if they made a way for items to stop taking decay on tables and such, would be that the world would start to fill with more and more items cluttering up the database and eventually this would cause lag since nothing would be naturally decaying away anymore. 

Let's tweak the idea a bit, potentially taking a hint from AH:  for each month of premium that has been purchased, you can 'care for' a decorative item, capped at a total of 12 items.  Granted this doesn't help with set pieces like plates and tableware, but would allow people to preserve the items they care about the most.

And maybe one item per month of premium is enough of a gate that the cap could be 24 or even 60?  It might help with retention and would also create a mechanism for long-term players to showcase their most prized possessions without fear of them rotting away.

• Like 1

Decoration items placed on surfaces are immune from decay, at least they should be, if they're not it's a bug that's cropped back up. 

As for decoration items in containers that's not likely to happen, decoration decay removal is for when the items are being used as decorations. When stored they will take decay as normal 

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Decoration items placed on surfaces are immune from decay, at least they should be, if they're not it's a bug that's cropped back up. 

As for decoration items in containers that's not likely to happen, decoration decay removal is for when the items are being used as decorations. When stored they will take decay as normal 

Thats the best news since sliced bread!

1 hour ago, griper said:

Thats the best news since sliced bread!

Griper just to be clear about what Retro says when he says "decoration items", it means ONLY these items:

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Category:Decoration

So most items that are "decoration items" are actually just furniture, tapestries etc. Stuff that you wouldn't even put on top of other furniture in the first place. 

The only items I can see in that list which would normally be desirable to put on top of a table or book shelf etc are:

• bowl
  • fork
  • spoon

This is obviously not so helpful to us. You just sounded so excited and happy that I thought I should point this out in case you might have thought that when Retro said "decorative items" that he would have meant "things we can decorate with".

Here's the actual problem we are dealing with:

If I wanted to...

• put a set of armor and maybe some leather working tools in my leatherworking shop, to make it look like leatherworking has been done....
  • set a table with wooden plates, forks, knives, spoons, a pottery flask, skull cups or beer steins...
  • put some tools and sword blades on top of the forge to make it look like someone has been making swords...
  • put an almanac and some other books on a bookshelf...
  • set down some horse shoes, bridles and saddles on some tables near a merchant stall to show I'm selling stable wears...

...I could not because everything would decay (except for the fork and the spoon on the dining table)

Edited by Malena
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Sidereal said:

Let's tweak the idea a bit, potentially taking a hint from AH:  for each month of premium that has been purchased, you can 'care for' a decorative item, capped at a total of 12 items.  Granted this doesn't help with set pieces like plates and tableware, but would allow people to preserve the items they care about the most.

And maybe one item per month of premium is enough of a gate that the cap could be 24 or even 60?  It might help with retention and would also create a mechanism for long-term players to showcase their most prized possessions without fear of them rotting away.

I really like this idea a lot! It would also give us something to look forward to after each month of premium is up. "Oh goody, now I get to "care for" XXX item". As for all the other reasons you mentioned. LOVE IT!

1 hour ago, griper said:

Ok, Malena.

I was not aware of that.

:(

Yep, it's something that has taken me some time to digest as well. I think most people actually are not aware of this. :(

Decay on items in a house and in a container and on deed is already fractions of decay in the wild, provided these items are not creation ql they will last a very very long time, my tool chest on an old deed has been there since 2015, and the items in there are around 30 decay. 

On 7/26/2019 at 8:10 AM, Retrograde said:

Decay on items in a house and in a container and on deed is already fractions of decay in the wild, provided these items are not creation ql they will last a very very long time, my tool chest on an old deed has been there since 2015, and the items in there are around 30 decay. 

I just had an amphora vanish on me last week, in a building, on-deed

On 7/26/2019 at 1:10 PM, Retrograde said:

*Some* of us have no option but to use creation Ql.

Seriously, kill the deco decay.  Looters will love you, and deed owners will praise you.

• Like 2