Sign in to follow this  
Benie

Would an FX 8350/8370 work for Wurm (while saving for a Ryzen 5 2600)?

So I made this thread back in July, and I still haven't even started the process of saving. That's why I wanna know if either an FX 8350 or 8370 would work as an upgrade for my 4350 (yet not be like the 9590 of it jumping 100c on boot up).
I know it wouldn't be a solid upgrade, but I just want a stepping stone to work up to a Ryzen 5 2600.
Also, would it be compatible with my current motherboard (listed in the link)? If not, could I please have a recommendation for one that is?

Edited by Benie

If it's of any help, I believe I ran that exact CPU (the FX 8350 Bulldozer) for about two years before upgrading to the Ryzen 7 1700, and it performed just fine.

I ran it along side a Nvidia 560Ti, as per this post: 

Edited by Xallo

It will run fine, Wurm team has done some nice optimization & bug for AMD not that long ago, that helped a great deal.

I'm still running a AMD FX8300  with only 8GB ram GTX 1060 8GB ram. with a ssd 480GB.  and running win10

And we have the water update coming soon. that gives even better performance. the wave effect ?

P.S. i sent you an PM on options for your upgrading question.

Honestly wurm seems to run well on older systems, or at least it used to.

I had an ATI card that worked better than an nvidia card at one point, java is a strange beast.

You should be fine.

be weary the FX8xxx processors are  known to be hot devils, so a good  cooling unit is not something you should save penies on. i ran my FX8320BE for about 3 years with watercooling before going for the  Ryzen R7 1700x

My old gamer which still sits next to my new one has a 9590 with an R9 290x Video card. Was a beast to keep cool. I had often considered dropping down to one of the 8xxx series cards to lessen the heat.

I have a Ryzen3 with 1050Ti now.

All AMD runs Wurm just fine though.

On 10/24/2018 at 9:45 PM, Benie said:

So I made this thread back in July, and I still haven't even started the process of saving. That's why I wanna know if either an FX 8350 or 8370 would work as an upgrade for my 4350 (yet not be like the 9590 of it jumping 100c on boot up).
I know it wouldn't be a solid upgrade, but I just want a stepping stone to work up to a Ryzen 5 2600.
Also, would it be compatible with my current motherboard (listed in the link)? If not, could I please have a recommendation for one that is?

Yes a 8350/70 would work with your current board, but its generally not a great idea to run one with a 4+1 non-heatsinked power phase, that may cause you to run into performance problems when the cpu is stressed due to not receiving enough power, or it'll work perfectly fine and im wrong

Considering you're saving for something much much better it wouldn't offer enough of a performance increase for the price, unless you're buying a used one off a friend for cheap

I'd say OC ur 4350 and bear with

Unless you've already OC'd your 4350 and still arn't happy with the performance and REALLY want something right now, get a Fx-8320e, NOT a 8350

Edited by WhyThatPost
opps

On 10/27/2018 at 3:45 PM, Elwood2 said:

be weary the FX8xxx processors are  known to be hot devils, so a good  cooling unit is not something you should save penies on. i ran my FX8320BE for about 3 years with watercooling before going for the  Ryzen R7 1700x

I agree they get hot, go cheap get a good cpu fan like a "cooler master" 20-30 bucks, but you need good air flow in the case with an average room temp of 21c-28c will run heavy games just fine Just dont do any over clocking. And Wurms not a heavy game ;).   Your looking at upgrading anyways in the future. So dont waste too much on the old rig. Save up for the new rig. :) 

P.S. i also use a cool master no issue at all. 

On 10/30/2018 at 4:04 AM, gorgian said:

I agree they get hot, go cheap get a good cpu fan like a "cooler master" 20-30 bucks, but you need good air flow in the case with an average room temp of 21c-28c will run heavy games just fine Just dont do any over clocking. And Wurms not a heavy game ;).   Your looking at upgrading anyways in the future. So dont waste too much on the old rig. Save up for the new rig. :) 

P.S. i also use a cool master no issue at all. 

my FX8320BE ran at around 18c  on heavy loads with my watercooling unit, which is nice :)

While OC'd @ 4,8GHZ per core

Edited by Elwood2

13 hours ago, Elwood2 said:

my FX8320BE ran at around 18c  on heavy loads with my watercooling unit, which is nice :)

While OC'd @ 4,8GHZ per core

Getting a water cooling unit this late in the tech era for an FX line is just a waste of money. :)