Sign in to follow this  
Perihelion

Peri's Haven Campground (WIP)

Greetings fellow Wurmians!

So I've got some rough ideas, and I thought I might do some crowdsourcing to see what people think, maybe get some inspiration, that sort of thing.  If you have any thoughts, please feel free to weigh in!

So the main thing that I've been thinking about is something relatively communal and open.  What about a campground?  I could find some open, relatively flat land, set up some basic borders for aggro control, then set up individual campsites where people can come, pitch a tent, secure their locked containers, that sort of thing.  Close to the water for boat access and fishing, maybe close to a load of abandoned settlements for Archaeology; communal workspace with ovens/forges/etc?

Would it make sense to do this on an island, to be more generally accessible?  Possibly bridged to the mainland and connected to a highway even?

Are there any nomads out there who would use such a place if it existed?

I did a cursory search of the forums to see if there was anything like this at the moment, and I didn't really see anything, but if someone has done this elsewhere, I would love to hear about it!

I look forward to any feedback that you guys might have!

- Perihelion

• Like 4

I'm not sure how well a campground would work. You can't pitch tents on a deed or perimeter, so that portion would need to be off-deed. Most places that set up open sleeping arrangements build an inn with a 1x1 or 1x2 room with a bed in each room. You can also set up a communal larder so people can eat straight out of it, but can't take full meals.

Archaeology can be done anywhere, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Communal workspaces are always nice and can be made fairly easily. I doubt very many people would use it, but there may be a few that would stop over on their way from point A to point B or use it as a base to do some Archaeology in a new spot. Another thing to think about is possibly putting up a guard tower, if there isn't one in the area. They offer free protection instead of having to pay for spirit templars.

I would build it close to water ( think about making at least a small area for people to park boats and embark/disembark. ) and if possible, close to a highway or where you can build to a highway.

• Like 1

That makes sense, Zethreal.  I hadn't thought about the tent-on-deed problem, that's a great point.  I guess if I were to do this, maybe I would just have a tiny deed with the communal workspace area off to one side, with the actual, camping area off-deed, maybe with plenty of trees or something in the perimeter.

Can anybody tell me what areas are seeing a lot of traffic these days on Xanadu?

There can be numerous problems with setting up a "Communal" type of deed due to deed permissions needing to be set to enable certain activities while restricting other activities. If you want others to be able to say chop down trees then anyone could come there, chop every tree down and be on their merry way. If you allow digging anyone could dig a bunch of pits everywhere. If you allow "building" then anyone could fence off as much of it as they wish blocking others from using that space. Allow farming and anyone could turn the whole place into a farm.

If you just want a deed where players can craft with whatever resources that they can bring in from outside of it then you need to set the abilities for anyone to drop, pickup and load items, which in turn make all accessible areas unsecure in those respects. There are also some permission problems associated with doing these things inside buildings that you might create that you want "everyone" to be able to use. Generally this type of "free-for-all" deed needs close supervision and adjustments by the Mayor (you?) to rectify and modify the deed settings accordingly since what you intend to permit can either be messed up by someone unintentionally or maliciously.

I once had a deed right next to Glasshollow within sight of it that I had thought I might give "everyone" permission to do almost any activity on it just as an experiment to see what would happen. After thinking about it for some time I never did set it up that way though but it was a prime location for some type of deed along these lines. If you are not in some spot such as this then few would ever stumble across it or even bother to travel to it when they could easily just join some existing deed as a new citizen with more benefits provided. Perhaps for you though it would be worth a try to just see what happens. Never can tell...

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Thanks for the great input, Ayes!

I suppose I could do a small-ish deed with either rentable rooms or maybe cabins, and have the 'campground' be off-deed and hope for the best.  As for location, yeah I'm thinking Glasshollow, or maybe see if there's any room near the Amish Estates area. 

I've been playing around with some campsite concepts in DeedPlanner, here's an example of what I'm envisioning:

fWkYuQXdSEJ1kpZc0I4vlZ4V5LOX1H.png

Campsites would be 3x3 tiles, with a 1x3 strip of that being paved with gravel, for parking wagons and/or carts.  That leaves a 2x3 area to pitch one or more tents, build a fire, secure a few locked containers, and set down whatever furniture you brought with you.  

Maybe some larger campsites (5x5 or larger?) for groups of travelers who need a temporary respite from a long journey?

These would be very temporary sites for people, I would imagine, but it would be a safe place to chill out during a long trip, maybe you're moving deeds and you have to log out for the night, or it's getting dark and you just need a safe place to hang out, imp your stuff, maybe cook some food or craft a few things.  The campground would be off-deed, so you would definitely want to have locks on anything that you unload or whatever in your campsite, and technically people could tear up the campsites, but I can have some signage at the entrance and stuff to try and minimize that.

I do know that setting up the permissions on the deeded area is going to be tricky, in order to allow people to use stuff like ovens/forges, but it should be doable.

Some really great input so far guys, please keep it coming!

- Perihelion

• Like 4

I went ahead and added the half-hedges to the front as well, I like how it looks.

oxIY19gTpDVBfRaHyqsRBprYF3lmzP.png

Just a reminder about deeds and perimeters - forgive me if you know this already. :) 

I would try to organise the position(s) and maybe perimeter size of your small deed(s) to completely surround the camp areas, so someone can't accidentally deed over part of your campsite (thinking it's such a nice place) :) 

Try not to leave a deed-able 21x21 or larger area unprotected anywhere that might impinge on the site.

You might consider 2 long protective mini deeds  - 1 on either side of a central off-deed camp area.

Wherever your deed(s) are located, if they only have the minimum 5 tile perimeters someone else can deed within 10 tiles of you if space allows, and claim 5 tiles of this as their own perimeter.

Good luck and Carry On Camping!

Edited by Muse
  • Like 1

You can either do what Muse said, or you can put small 1x1 structures every 11 tiles or so to prevent someone from being able to put down a deed. Typically just on the corners is good enough. As they are off-deed, you will need to spend time repairing them every so often.

• Like 1

Some great stuff guys!  I will be doing some exploration and mapping in my immediate surroundings, think I have a good area between my deed and my neighbor's that will work well for this.  I'll have to do some testing in DeedPlanner with the 1x1 structure idea, I might be able to integrate rent-able beds into the actual campground area if I did it that way rather than having to build a Motel-style building (super cheap probably, maybe a copper or something).

I'll try to get some planning pictures up here soon and see what you guys think!

- Peri

Several years ago on Deliverance I had a *free land* area setup where anyone could come and build a small house within a low stoned walled off area I created. Maybe they were 5x10 areas or so and I would just leave a 1 tile opening so that players could build their own gate to lock the enclosure. I had 1 tile roads between them all for access to the whole area of individual enclosures. I planted trees within them so new settlers could cut them down for their use. A public iron mine was made not far away with signs to it.

Then on a few corners within the area I built 1x1 tile houses to prevent deeding the area. Also a 2x2 house with some supplies within it, bulk bin, food bin, forge and oven. I put up a few signs around the area "Free To Build Here". My deed had a Guard Tower close enough for players to lure mobs to it and an Inn with beds set to free sleep used by anyone. This was just across the lake from Green Dog so very easy for new players to get to and even find on their own when exploring nearby.

The whole concept was a "self-serve" free temporary settling area for new players to get started on their own before they wanted to wander off into the wild. Quite a few players used it when the server was in its more active phase. A few even deeded nearby or stayed in their small free enclosure for quite some time. It didn't take up much of my time this way and I did make a few longer term friends from this setup as well. I never did invite anyone to join my deed though as I wanted to retain complete control over it doing my own thing.

I found this worked well while allowing players to still be independent and not needing to ask my "permission" to do anything there, which is more my own mindset and the type of player I thought it may appeal to as well.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

So, a quick update on my progress here...

I have found a location in H24 which, if not ideal, has turned out to be a terrific location for me.  I am currently working to connect to the Highway system, as well as developing the actual campground itself.  

The Campground is located just west of my deed, on top of a mountain (more or less), on a peninsula near Summerholt and the NEXA Marketplace and Sanctuary.  I will have easy access for boats as well as Highway access.

Pics coming soon, waiting for daytime on Xanadu :P

Campsites 1 and 2, my test builds and rough template for the campsites.  Each is 3x3 tiles with access to a single 1x1 building (outside of the 3x3) each, which will each contain a rentable bed.  A 1x3 strip is paved with gravel, starting at the fence gate.  I figure campers can attach gate locks if they wish to secure their site.  

QtSEOyL36viUp0IyYzr6GqMQlLgIYo.png

And the view from the road, before adding the rest of the outer walls:

g2BVA0wMrWAs9sw6zWsF6nNajGZ9IJ.png

And this is the rest of the large open area I have already cleared:

fgcL5Bl8e9MWcCdAMeUudpRXPybzTB.png

• Like 1

Couple of notes:

1. Once someone sets a gate lock, they control the permissions for that gate. To "reset" it, you'd need to destroy the gate and replace it, which can take a while off deed.

2. Your proposed parking for wagons and carts is paved, but that leaves a chance that the animals will starve and die.  They need grass, even if it's not as aesthetically pleasing.

• Like 1

Nice to see you are starting your Campground Perihelion. I take it this site is all off deed since if it were on deed only the Mayor or citizens could attach locks to gates. I wouldn't worry about removing the gates as Seriphina mentioned because they can easily be bashed down now with a battering ram as is best for that. I would remove that gravel pavement strip though as it just takes up space that the occupant might want to use for other things. New players won't have the required body strength to do it themselves.

You might want to make some larger fenced areas too so that players could build their own house inside but maybe you just want more of a small camping style effect? I'm not with you on setting beds to "Rent" though. Why impose that on players who might live there for some time or are even just passing through? I always set beds to free sleep and use, then they are great for those who would always like to use for sleep bonus. Anyway, looking good there and I hope you will get some random visitors.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the great feedback!  I hadn't thought about the paving issue, that's a great point and I'll be sure to get rid of the gravel and get some grass planted.  As for the gates and locks, yeah it's all off-deed so it sounds like that should be okay.  

After making my post(s) yesterday, I went back and re-read through all of your previous comments, and I agree Ayes, I will be setting the beds to free, not Rentable.  I want to encourage people to come and stay, especially new players.

Thanks so much for the encouragement!

- Perihelion

• Like 1

That's a really cute idea, no matter if it gets used often or not. 

Neat design!

• Like 1