Sign in to follow this  
TeeeBOMB

Fix Maker Names

Presently maker names seem to randomly get erased over time because - who knows why. Please fix this immediately. I love maker names. Please make maker names permanent.

Also, some items do not have maker names. So please add maker names to those items.

Thanks ?

edit: To be clear. I'm not talking about how an item's maker name will change as the quality of the item changes. That game mechanic is ok (so far) in my book. As you increase or decrease an item's quality, different letters of the maker name appear or disappear.

No, I am talking about when a very old item you have, maybe for years. It had a maker name you were very happy to see when you examined it. Say for instance: [09:40:46] You can barely make out the signature of its maker,  'Ascorb.c'.

Then one day, maybe years later, you examine that item and you get this message: [13:26:27] Since its creator tag has faded, you decide to keep history alive by scratching your name on it. Afterwards you proudly read 'Teeebomb'.

This is the game mechanic I would like fixed. I think the game would be better suited if each 'maker' name remained with an item forever. So if I am proud to have an item made by 'Ascorb.c', then I will not ever have to worry that that name will some day get 'faded' and replaced by whoever later examines it in their inventory.

Thank you for your time ? 

Edited by TeeeBOMB
more words
  • Like 6

Its based on quality.  The higher the quality of the item, the more the name you can see.  Just imp the item back up to see who made it.

Edited by Ascorbic

20 minutes ago, Ascorbic said:

Its based on quality.  The higher the quality of the item, the more the name you can see.  Just imp the item back up to see who made it.

He's referring to the database occasionally wiping off creator tags from items, apparently when not used for long periods of time.

[15:34:56] Since its creator tag has faded, you decide to keep history alive by scratching your name on it. Afterwards you proudly read 'Raamkozijn'.  

This used to be a Willow made (and imped) toolbelt, it's at 90QL. As toolbelts seemingly don't function as "using", it's not prevented from getting its creator erased over time - however much you equip your toolbelt.

+1 to the suggestion, it would be nice to either see it changed so that tools/items don't lose their creator tag altogether, or otherwise have some ability to make a specific tool retain its tag.

Just spitballing, but maybe have some common item you could use once on any tool/item that normally has a creator tag to preserve it indefinitely?

A fun part of archaeology is reminiscing about past deeds and the activities one used to do there - or around that time. Creator tags had a similar effect for me, seeing dusty tools with names of old villagers long gone, or veteran players on a possibly forever long break, it adds to the nostalgia.

Edited by Raamkozijn
clarification
  • Like 4

No to this suggestion. I prefer to have my own name engraved on items in place of long departed players. More to the point I would like to know from Devs the specifics as to under what conditions this happens. Maybe this is only in the case of players that were never Premium so that when their old accounts were permanently deleted then any items with their name on them have their names removed? In this instance it makes sense to me. I sort of doubt their names are removed from items just because they haven't logged into the game for years but were at one time Premium. So Devs how does this work exactly?

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Huge -1 I like having my own signature on tools I find from archeology. My signature is so important to me that I even try to have all my rare and up tools with my signature.

21 hours ago, kochinac said:

I like having my own signature on tools I find from archeology.

Well - my issue is not with tools found from archaeology. When you find items from constructed fragments, those items have no original makers, until you make them. Archaeology items are not part of this post really. I mean those items are not specifically what I was talking about.

The items I am talking about are items that were made by someone in game using raw materials.

I have several such items made by other ppl in game. Old players/friends/notable historic players who were premium mostly. I don't mind if non prem player made items loose their maker names as much. But would prefer if all original maker names remain permanently on the item they created. I would prefer it if my name was not 'attached' to old items that I never created.

I prefer truth. (lol) Solid and unchanging.

22 hours ago, Ayes said:

So Devs how does this work exactly?

This part of Ayes post, I agree with. I would like a better understanding of how and when and why original maker names get erased.

I wish there was a way to make permanent maker names on items. Something. If you (as programmers) can't make maker names permanent in Wurm, maybe there can be a way you can develop to make it possible for us players to make permanent specific maker names?

A friend other day loaned me an item so I could find a fishing spot. I had it in my inventory, wanted to check its spell level. So I examined it. BAM! I got in my event tab "[13:26:27] Since its creator tag has faded, you decide to keep history alive by scratching your name on it. Afterwards you proudly read 'Teeebomb'."

OMG why! I hate this. I NEVER CREATED this item. Why is my name now on it as it's maker?! Who was the original maker here. No frick'n way to tell.

I hate that that happened to my friends pendulum. Very annoying.

+1, although, it seems to be unintentional if this still frequently happens. Signatures are not supposed to get erased. Used to be able to by dropping an item below 20 ql and then back over it, not sure if that's still the case, but randomly sometimes it still happens when it shouldn't.

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:53 PM, Alyeska said:

seems to be unintentional

Ok, I have to admit, I am not sure if it is intentional or not for very old items to have their maker names fade away. Good point. But of course, if intended or not, I'd prefer this fixed. Maybe hire some lazy tower guards to run around , item to item, and dab a bit of superglue to each maker name would fix this issue.

If this is unintentional, then I guess we should be submitting tickets when old maker names fade on us. How can we know if this is intentional or intended though? Good point.

11 hours ago, TeeeBOMB said:

If this is unintentional, then I guess we should be submitting tickets when old maker names fade on us. How can we know if this is intentional or intended though? Good point.

This is the byproduct of an issue that wiped ALL signatures on wild and inde, as they were the only servers open at the time.  Considering the issue has existed for that long and affected every item from then, you aren't going to be getting items fixed especially with no proof other than trusting logs if they even exist

+1 for those of us that like to collect items from Duce, Tich, and many other beloved members of the Wurm community. We just found a large metal shield made by Duce last week, it was highly sought after and we would hate to see Wurm history erased unless there is a real reason for it.

If you want your maker name on an item, then make it yourself.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:23 PM, MrGARY said:

especially with no proof other than trusting logs

I am a screenie ninja. So, when I find a new item, very often I'll imp it, to find maker name on it. I make screenies as I go. So ppl like me (if there are any, lol) will have screenie proof. That, plus the log files should server as adequate proof of the old maker names, if it has one when I found it. Now.. if I find an item that does not have a maker name, of course I'd have no proof what that maker name ever used to be, for sure. In a perfect world, that information would be stored somewhere and be able to be made manifest.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:23 PM, MrGARY said:

This is the byproduct of an issue that wiped ALL signatures on wild and inde,

Now, this would be very good news, I mean, if the only maker names that got erased were on items made before the time of that issue you mentioned. That would mean, that all maker names on items made since that time would be very stable and dependable. We can hope for, at least, for that.

Would be nice to know for sure, if maker name fading was a game glitch, or an intended mechanic. Maybe we should move this thread to the server glitches area?

+1 it's sandbox... keeping some history alive is a thing some like..

Else there was a mechanic to die carrying the items.. and have the body bag decay, examine the tool or something like that... to erase names on demand, pvp shenanigans, bug, feature, idk.. it was a thing long time ago.

• Like 1

This is still happening...

A friend loaned me her dioptra (just yesterday) that she recently (months?) bought. I examined it to see the maker name and I got this garbage...  "[11:30:58] An astronomical and surveying instrument, mounted on a tripod. It could be improved with a lump.
[11:30:58] Since its creator tag has faded, you decide to keep history alive by scratching your name on it. Afterwards you proudly read 'Teeebomb'."

Now the dumb thing says I made it.

Will you guys stop this! I did not make that dioptra, I don't want my name applied as a maker name to stuff *takes a deep breath* I DID NOT MAKE.

Thanks your time.

• Like 2

Honestly... this seems like a no brainer to me. 

There is a difference between being the owner and the maker. By all means, add your very own signature as the owner of your items whenever possible. ... but if you want a thing marked that you made it, you should have to actually be the one to make it. 

Have you ever heard of an Amata Egg? No? okay, what about a Faberge Egg?  Did Teeebomb make the finely crafted silver set & candlesticks your family has been handing down for generations... or was it Paul Revere? If Teeebomb had a tiny soup bowl called a porringer that had the Revere imprint on it, and it had worn down a bit with age, and so he etched Teeebomb over top of it - that porringer just went from being worth $40,000 to being worth exactly nil. (And Revere isn't exactly the world's most impressive smithing, just a decently recognizable name). 

Maker's marks matter. And they should last. Or at very least, as they age, they should be able to be restored either as an effect of a certain skill level in Repair, or a certain skill level in Improve. Or even Restoration

There are roughly a gillion contemporary portraits of wives and mistresses and washer women roughly equivalent to the Mona Lisa. (Don't look at me like that, there is honestly nothing in particular special about Mona Lisa. Even her "vague and mysterious smile" is just as quirky as some other girl's interesting earring or some guy's cocky grin and jaunty hat). The reason those other paintings hang in open air on  accessible walls and Mona Lisa lives in climate controlled secure rooms behind 3 feet thick bullet proof transparent shielding, and people queue up for days to see her (and it might even be a duplicate while the real Mona Lisa is actually getting beautyrest deep inside a secure vault) - is because Mona Lisa was a product of a well known maker named Leonardo Da Vinci

*cough* anyway. 
If this is still a thing happening in game. Yeah, let's look into that, maybe please? 

ps. fun fact: Da Vinci never actually signed or dated Mona Lisa! and now you know. 

• Like 3

Well, he never signed the portrait but are you sure he never dated Mona Lisa?

I can almost get behind the notion of this happening when something very low ql / high damage is extensively repaired and imped, but only almost.  I certainly can't fathom the notion of wanting to be identified as the maker of stuff that one has found or bought.

If there is a mechanism by which the maker mark becomes too worn to read, then that should be a one-way process.  I don't mean the current system of some letters being obscured but rather one when after long disuse and high damage from decay the name is lost.  Once lost, the object will forever be without a maker identifier (although high Restoration skill may still recover the name perhaps). That is something I think would be reasonable, but one should never be able to add their own maker mark to anything they did not actually make.  I think this should be so even for archeology fragments; instead of a maker mark they should identify as having an ancient and unknown creator.

• Like 2

Well, this is still happening. Just today while imping lamps, one said is maker name has faded, and now it says I made it. When I did not make it. Oh this burns me up.

Yeah, I've accidentally put my name on things several times while out exploring and randomly examining things. It's a little embarrassing when it happens on an active deed lol

On 10/29/2020 at 11:50 PM, TheTrickster said:

If there is a mechanism by which the maker mark becomes too worn to read, then that should be a one-way process.  I don't mean the current system of some letters being obscured but rather one when after long disuse and high damage from decay the name is lost.  Once lost, the object will forever be without a maker identifier (although high Restoration skill may still recover the name perhaps). That is something I think would be reasonable, but one should never be able to add their own maker mark to anything they did not actually make.  I think this should be so even for archeology fragments; instead of a maker mark they should identify as having an ancient and unknown creator.

I totally agree we should not be named as the creator for items we didn't actually make and I like the idea that the names on old items are lost over time, but still possible to recover using restoration. That would add a greater sense of depth and history to the world, and it would expand archaeology/restoration to make those skills even more interesting. I can totally see people playing as historians and setting up cozy antique shops where people can bring old items for restoration to find out who their original maker was. Love it!!

• Like 3