Sign in to follow this  
Wilczan

In-game notepad

Just simple window where you can put/write any text and it is automatically saved.

Eventually with option to create separate topics/windows.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Wilczan said:

Just simple window where you can put/write any text and it is automatically saved.

Eventually with option to create separate topics/windows.

How about a blank book that takes pages just like the new arch. journal only you can write whatever you want in it with paper & ink, remove pages from it & add new ones?  That will keep it in the overall feel of Wurm.

• Like 3

I feel that the initial suggestion from Wilczan is one that players would probably use if available, however, the follow-up from Zethreal makes real sense, is in the spirit of Wurm and would potentially offer another use for paper and the papyrus making skill in general.

Every time this was asked it was always "hurrr durrr /t yourself in game durrrr"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

Every time this was asked it was always "hurrr durrr /t yourself in game durrrr"

Which kind of works, but now that we already have the archaeology journal, it shouldn't be too much harder for them to implement a journal with sheets of paper that you can write on. All of the separate parts are already there.

The only thing that would be nice is if we could get more than a couple of hundred letters on a sheet of paper... and the ability to write on paper multiple times.

• Like 1

+1

not that hard to make another ini-file reader/writer for a 'notepad'/personal Todo that matters for the player

on way to rift or exploring i sometimes write down on a real pad corners ive taken and info so i dont get lost coming home later after its all done ,id use it

Pretty sure that Zethreal’s suggestion was added to the game. You can now make blank books, add pages and write on them with a reed pen.

9 minutes ago, McGarnicle said:

Pretty sure that Zethreal’s suggestion was added to the game. You can now make blank books, add pages and write on them with a reed pen.

Yes, and reed pen decays, you need to carry ink and book and pages. Really painful.

I just want quick access notepad as an UI element.

• Like 1

I would suggest. Make more capacious paper. And a pen. For example, a jeweler can make a fountain pen. The size of the book is already increased with the help of quality and runes. Maybe it would be interesting to add the ability to make squares for checkboxes and so on.  Maybe make the interface more user-friendly. But the book as an object in the game is super cool.

I saw an interesting implementation of paperwork in space station 13. There they had a separate interface where, like HTML tags, it was possible to make places for checkmarks, seals, signatures and tables.

Edited by TheZvir
add

20 hours ago, Wilczan said:

Yes, and reed pen decays, you need to carry ink and book and pages. Really painful.

I just want quick access notepad as an UI element.

Hear, hear. That’s what I assumed you were suggesting in the first place - a proper UI element for a player to quickly and conveniently take notes, not a rp method for characters involving crafting, activating, using consumables, adding encumbrance and bringing risk of loss.

I currently use the map for this, which is really mind boggling. Why not /t? Because 1) I use different computers based on which room I’m in when playing and 2) some notes are for more than one session and I don’t want to have to refer to chat logs.

Yeah, I can use cloud-based notes, but I’d still need to tab away from the game. I’d love to be able to pull up a simple in-game notepad without leaving the game at the press of a hot key to jot down a few reminders.

+1 to the suggestion as intended

Edit: I'm not against a craftable and editable journal, it's just that I think that an an in-game notepad and a craftable journal serve two different purposes and the notepad is something I would personally use regularly while the journal is not.

Edited by Calan
  • Like 1