Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Priest overhaul testing

Problem is that the range on some of the spells that do most damage is greater then tanglethingy and since they still block archery with the shield while holding a statuette in their 2 hands there is not really a good way to counter it. 

I think what Wulf said is a good thing.

• Like 2

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/168263-this-game-is-flawed-balance-pvp/&tab=comments#comment-1716034

But you know, if magic is meant to be as strong as melee, then those things called armor and shields need to have the same effect vs magic that it has vs melee.  Almost like that thing called archery, where shields and armor matter as well.  Make your soul strength and armor affect damage taken by aoe spells (firepillar etc), and shield/armor/soul strength affect damage taken by direct target spells (fireheart etc), and you probably don't even need resistances at that point?  Have your spells like fireheart be comparable to small weapons, spells like worm brains comparable to medium weapons, spells like smite comparable to huge weapons, and cast timers/cooldowns become the balance vs the fact you can cast it from a safe distance vs melee attacks

Dunno why people think shields working vs magic has to be an all or nothing.  Shields work vs melee and it's not all or nothing and it hasn't made melee totally useless.  I think most people know how shields work vs melee so that probably doesn't need to be explained.

tl;dr  make magic work like melee, like you know, in probably every other game with magic and melee combat in it

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

personally i think the counter should be casting the exact same spell on the person thats casting it on you and you get in a energy clash that instantly kills whoever fails a channeling check, its not balanced or anything but i'd like to larp as gohan while pvping

But which deity gets Kikoho?

Seems discussion is leaning a little bit towards making casting a bit more interruptible as a counter instead of having outright chances to block spells cast at you which makes sense. Needing to equip a statuette in order to cast an offensive spells seems an okay idea at first glance, though I'm curious what the current equipment of offensive priests are? Would 1-handed equipping be enough of a drop in parry rates to make interruption more viable, or would a still equipped shield basically negate that in practice?

• Like 2

imo (just an opinion), all offensive spells should deal the same amount of dmg as a base dmg. The only variables should be the +/- dmg jewelry.

same thing with every single spell like frost brand,rt, venom, fa, etc. only way to counter it would be through +/- Jewelry. 

i only say that as an opinion because then it just creates certain advantages towards other priests vs other priests, like right now inferno is probably the best offensive spell out there right now and its a mag based spell.

Edited by Carmichael

Need to be careful not to overdo it. If we make casting spells a death sentence to the priest, healers will be useless when a 15 second light of fo will invite everyone to true strike your face and be done with you. 

Need to make sure we keep a balance. No parry, no shield, and combat penalties means you will block less and be easier to kill than a naked, unarmed person. Priests will go down so fast no one will cast spells in combat anymore. This is why I dont like this idea. A penalty while casting is fine. Complete vulnerability is not.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Budda said:

Seems discussion is leaning a little bit towards making casting a bit more interruptible as a counter instead of having outright chances to block spells cast at you which makes sense. Needing to equip a statuette in order to cast an offensive spells seems an okay idea at first glance, though I'm curious what the current equipment of offensive priests are? Would 1-handed equipping be enough of a drop in parry rates to make interruption more viable, or would a still equipped shield basically negate that in practice?

You should consider making LoF a shorter time also.

59 minutes ago, Budda said:

Thats not viable with how spells are being used, think about big groups all focusing 1 player, that player and their group is moving away from the other group and away from anyone casting, anyone trying to melee that caster is going to be away from their group and likely die shortly after the enemy group notices. So interrupting with melee isnt viable. This is essentialy what occurs and why there is a problem.

Group 1 push towards a target in group 2.

10 players in G1 melee target.

5 players in G1 stand back and start casting.

Target along with G2 starts backing off.

Group 2 is no where near G1 casters at this point, and the target has 10 people meleeing AND 5 players casting spells. 

As i said earlier right now the spell damage is in an OK spot damage wise, the problem is spell casting bypasses the 10 player limit on melee and compounds the other problems with high melee damage. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dadamage said:

I will repeat why not make it so you have to equip a statue to cast, like bow weapon to use 

Because this will only address casting pillar in a crowd.  Does nothing to stop the priest 5 tiles behind our melee fighters queuing up an inferno.

• Like 2

Oh gods no...

Please please please don't gimp us any further on PvE for PvP balance.  Please....

Seriously...  This is getting a bit silly now; still recovering from the horrible heal nerf (which has proven to be a REAL nerf to LT)

• Like 2

how in gods name is it a nerf? it always heals the biggest wound now, unless you fight naked you shouldnt ever have enough heal resistance from lt to matter

LT was buffed

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

LT was buffed

That is the funniest thing I have read in a long time.

But more seriously, I for one would not like to be unable to block while healing folks in PvE, especially since spells do get interrupted often at rifts.

it's a buff though, majority of mobs have attacks so weak that a single hit will LT it completely many times over, to the point that anything over 50 LT is completely wasted unless you jumped off 300 dirt walls or fighting without a helmet or something dumb because you could only heal 2-3 per swing of your huge axe or w/e you use, attacks have around a 50% chance to stack onto a single wound so with new LT you're healing a lot more consistently as you're always healing the stacked wounds/eye and head shots

not that it matters because pve mobs are so insanely weak that you can kill a troll with a fresh spawn and okay gear, but if you want to cry about how nerfed it is when you fight trolls naked go ahead

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

That is the funniest thing I have read in a long time.

Haven't you been without premium for a while now and haven't really played healer much? You should try it. I'm sure you'll love it, the healing is big.

LT was seriously a buff, I thought it was gonna be bad when I first read it, but its actually quite AMAZING now.. prioritization of wounds is huge

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Because this will only address casting pillar in a crowd.  Does nothing to stop the priest 5 tiles behind our melee fighters queuing up an inferno.

You can have archers (deticated) looking for that priest. Ofcourse if its in a 4x4 tile range with heavy melee brawl its fair game anyway (like the fight near moss). But i think this archery thing could still make it so some people are looking for priests and pay more attention to priests and have to act accordingly and if they are off position they will get attacked by melees. Would make cool gameplay IMO. 

12 hours ago, Budda said:

No, if you can eqq shiled with it, it makes no difference as you can do it 10+ tiles away and have plenty of time. Or make it so that it equips in shield slot? So some parry for melee, not much but some and maybe make it you take less damage from arrows while doing it. You will not block but the damage is 20% less. If no extra dr for arrows i think priests would die way too fast. 

How bout gem staff instead of a statuette? Dont want my priest to look like he is out on the battlefield playing with dolls when hes actually casting spells.

That said, im no fan of having to equip a certain item to cast a spell. It will make all other aspects, except pvp spells, a hazzle.

Don't really think the equip item will do much when the spells are long range, pillars might be harder to place but apart from that by time you get up to somebody and swing, they gonna be casted and moving off. 

Not really the answer. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Wiolo said:

Haven't you been without premium for a while now and haven't really played healer much? You should try it. I'm sure you'll love it, the healing is big.

I actually premed up when the priest update came in, and have been acting as a healer to my housemates ;)

I've been watching heal Res for a long time.   So far, definitely feels like a nerf for our tactic (one tank, one healer).

9 hours ago, Mclavin said:

Don't really think the equip item will do much when the spells are long range, pillars might be harder to place but apart from that by time you get up to somebody and swing, they gonna be casted and moving off. 

Not really the answer. 

I agree, making it a weapon that needs to be equiped it just going to make things more annoying than changing weapons already is, and it still isnt going to solve the main problems.

just finish the med rework and make elemental immunity 100% uptime

people can choose between 30% melee or 33% reduction from elemental (possibly 100% depending on if the persons weapon is salved) 

pls, i love path of power

: i put no thought into this post whatsoever, i just want path of power buffed so i can swap

Edited by platinumteef
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 7:14 PM, Budda said:

When you equip a bow you can't block . So to a statue, it should be the same give you a chance to interrupt them either by combat  or archery

Edited by Dadamage
  • Like 2

This will just allow the zerg to dedicated people to the back whilst smaller teams are unable to cast at all.