Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Priest overhaul testing

Zergs will.all ways win with any change . This just gives aweness more of a chance 

Just make it so all spells have a 5 tile distance so you have to cast within those 5 tiles and can't stand back 10 tiles. This , imo, would solve the problem of true strike spam when you go to melee a priest that is standing way in the back and not being able to interrupt them.

Edited by Rhianna

So I recently decided to re download and pvp to test features. Few things I noticed. 

-spell Damage is weird , the fact it negates armor is bad. Needs to be something else that’s a DR modifier to it other then soul str. 

-resistances do not seem to be working properly 

-tangleweave needs a resistance I can post my logs but I was fake casting and would have 5+ tangleweave casted on me. It worked everytime needs to be something to prevent it from being 100% success every cast. It’s too fast so it will always interrupt a spell casting unless it’s super late. 

-spell ranges need to be tweaked down 

-salves needs to be looked in they seem to be broken in a strong way 

-reverse gank bonus does not seem to be working. Seems like more people targeting you the less cr you have instead of opposite. 

Edited by Egard
  • Like 1

So I was talking about priest spells with some friends and a couple of ideas came up that might serve as compromises.  I myself think that priests are fine the way they are, and am still not even remotely convinced that "spell spam" is dominating on the battlefield.... but for the sake of appeasing those that disagree (and continue to withhold proof), I propose the following changes:

1.  Allow the jewelry resistance enchants to be casted on shields.  A fire resist enchant gives lets say (cast power/5) % chance to block spells of that element.  (Keep in mind you can always carry an ice shield, a poison shield etc).  Maybe the shield's enchant also gives a small boost to resistance to that school of magic.  

Additional options for this might be to allow the power enchants (that make your spells hit harder) to be casted on shields as well and provide benefits like a small chance to reflect the damage back to the caster, allowing the shield to do AoSP wounds of fire/frost/poison as a result of successful blocks to spell attacks (including salved melee weapons)

2.  And I'll preface this by saying my knowledge of the shield bashing skill is somewhat sketchy.... add a second ability to the combat window to "kick" your target.  Similar to shield bashing (and used by the shield bashing skill) you will have a second ability in your combat window with a lower difficulty than shield bash itself to interrupt your target's actions (not just limited to casting spells, but things like bashing a tower, building a wall etc.  The "kick" action will have a 3 second cast timer, and will share a cooldown with the shield bash ability.  Also requires having a shield equipped (just like shield bashing).  Further benefits include:

2a.  A shield bashing ability with a lower difficulty will make grinding shield bashing a little bit easier.

2b.  Much desired addition to an otherwise boring melee combat system in Wurm.

2c.  For freedomers - an ability for non-priests to interrupt Rift casters, which has been complained about.

2d.  Most importantly, a more reliable (but far from guaranteed) method for non-priests to interrupt a priest in PvP.

2e.  No, removing your pants in the middle of a fight will not increase your chance to successfully kick your target.

2f.  Serves as a counter for utility spells being cast, such as refresh, mass stamina and oakshell (because there's nothing to block).

Both of these suggestions are designed in such a way that they can be tweaked for future balancing, much like priest spells themselves.  

LoF needs to go back to 10 seconds, to easy to interrupt and with the range it reaches, most people just over step anyway, not worth waiting around for, revert 

LoF is a much stronger spell then cure light, focused will, etc.  It SHOULD have a longer cast timer than the others.  By your logic, we might as well make full heal a 10 second cast too.  

• Like 1

Hopefully it won't be months and months before touch ups to the overhaul are done, but here goes. Important to least important:

1)Please reduce the interrupt rate for Scorn of Libila and Light of Fo, but allow LoF to be a little easier to interrupt since it is more powerful.  This is similar to the issues with sacrifice being easily interruptible many many months ago, although, not quite as severe. The cast times are fine. You should not have spells that can be interrupted by a large rats attack against insanely powerful characters. Proof that it is broken. Honestly, Scorn of Libila should be Libila only since Light of Fo is Fo only, but that is another story.

2)Give Frostbrand to ANY other priest type that is not a main god. Currently it is Vynora only unless I am mistaken.

3)Hell Strength is still broken. It does not increase Soul Strength. It should also activate upon casting and not a skill gain tick.

4)Also, it would be nice if Libila had disintegrate again and make Strongwall work on freedom.

5 hours ago, Wargasm said:

LoF is a much stronger spell then cure light, focused will, etc.  It SHOULD have a longer cast timer than the others.  By your logic, we might as well make full heal a 10 second cast too.  

I agree full heal should also be 10 seconds, people move in fights, both right now are useless, with tangleweave the cast is 24-26 seconds. You cant spam it any more because of healing resist, so the spells dont need a cast time at all.

12 hours ago, Threap said:

I agree full heal should also be 10 seconds, people move in fights, both right now are useless, with tangleweave the cast is 24-26 seconds. You cant spam it any more because of healing resist, so the spells dont need a cast time at all.

So now we're reducing the casting timer of spells.... because of tangleweave?  Is that the reason TC is crying for LoF changes?  It sounds like reducing the tangleweave debuff (casting speed penalty) from 10 seconds down to (5?) is a better option.

Can you stop trying to feed into KvK on the test forum, you're doing it repeatedly in a JakeRivers fashion, the fashion being where you defy all logic and proof of concept to stick with a twisted version to dig at TC. 
I again remind you for a 3rd time everybody here is yet to see you in a non zerg situation to even be speaking on what works or doesn't work, please, when you are zerging which is a legitimate play style, all brains are out the window.
Just remember the pvp scene isn't built for just zergs and you should stop being scared of any change that boosts up smaller groups taking on larger numbers. 

How is any cast penalty towards LOF at a already dumb time of 15 seconds to 20 seconds better, when majority from split groups agree that it should be returned to 10? Infact, with Tangle weave being utilised so well these days every LOF you see getting casted should be tangle weaved so therefore, LOF will remain 15 seconds in your own logic. Why don't we punish the players who fail to stop the cast (allowing a 10 second cast to go off) instead of punishing what's already a slow cast to be even slower. 

With that being said - everything here should be posted for the better of the game, not your current group.

Challenge me on what we've got changed as the #1 kingdom in favor of smaller groups with repeated nerfs and you'll be slain faster than 2 dragons during a February month on chaos.

Edited by Mclavin

10 hours ago, Mclavin said:

you defy all logic and proof of concept

Proof of what concept?  That offensive spells are OP?  That the new meta of "spell spam" is dominating PvP?  No, that burden is on you, Niki and the others crying for spell nerfs.  We're still waiting for video evidence of how grossly OP spells are in PvP, but you have provided none.  Seems the only videos that make it to the forums these days are TC wins.... probably explains why there haven't been many.

Show us.  Show us where you step off deed and 10 priests simultaneously cast fireball/shard of ice and kill you in 10 seconds.  We've only been waiting for about 10 pages now.

How is any cast penalty towards LOF at a already dumb time of 15 seconds to 20 seconds better, when majority from split groups agree that it should be returned to 10? Infact, with Tangle weave being utilised so well these days every LOF you see getting casted should be tangle weaved so therefore, LOF will remain 15 seconds in your own logic. Why don't we punish the players who fail to stop the cast (allowing a 10 second cast to go off) instead of punishing what's already a slow cast to be even slower. 

Can you read?  At all?  Again you're mentioning tangleweave, which I believe to be the problem, not LoF itself.  A 15 second LoF isn't unreasonable.... a 25 second LoF (as a result of already having tangleweave casted on your priest) is unreasonable.  As stated before, i think a 5 second casting speed penalty is adequate for tangleweave, not 10.

everything here should be posted for the better of the game, not your current group.

Show me one suggestion I have made in this thread that benefits only my group.  I spent more time than most on the test server working with the priest changes before they were released.  I devoted the time and effort into making a spreadsheet for everyone  to use that highlights the spell changes and passive faith bonuses so that freedeom, Chaos and Epic players could make educated decisions on what religion they would /transfer to.  I've made numerous suggestions, past and present, to attempt to balance priest vs non-priest PvP as a whole, not just offensive spells.

• Like 2

You clearly can't read, go re read why putting even 5 seconds on top of a 15 second cast is bad, then read that actually 15 seconds is extremely unreasonable for two reasons, the speed which fights move from place to place and the fact tanglewave is available to every player with a short cast time and long range. 

Ofc tangleweave is a issue you muppet, it disrupts spells, 15 seconds lof is too long in today's climate and it should be reverted to 10 seconds, which is perfect in line with tangle and 15 seconds as a debuff from tangle. It should have been 15 back in the day where there was no means if disrupting outside of high damage and shield Bashing. Talking of high damage we are in a climate of spell spam and extremely high damage hits thanks to potions, imbues and different armour weakness, 15 seconds is too long for this type of damage, so maybe you can talk about damage output if you're unhappy with heal time output. 

You're defending one point here because it benefits your zerg which once it shatters, you won't even be around, so the rest of us who play outside of zerg gameplay don't want this. 

Again, final point, show me a video of you in a fight outside of a zerg???? It hasn't happened, so stop telling people what's reasonable If you don't know. 

You did not spend more time than me on test, I was given an area by sin and a few others before everybody even got on test and had early feedback, I was then on test in my own corner everyday. You will even see me in emoos stream 1 vs 3 using the priest changes and winning, so please, Ik what's op and what needs buffing. Also sitting on a test server casting on alts is not the same as live gameplay and you keep failing to point where you've actually had lof been used outside of a zerg situation where as I've used it in all types and it needs buffing. 

10 seconds. I don't need repeated invalid points. The devs can read. 

Edited by Mclavin

Erm...  I'm just here to say that we've done some testing with venom/toxic as a combo, and (as far as PvE is concerned), the damage buff isn't really all that noticable, even if you pile on high QL jewellery with high QL casts; this could definitely use a PvE buff.

Venom never glances. Meaning that against a crocodile for example who has 70% DR it means that 35% of the time where a weapon would deal no damage at all venom would.

7 hours ago, Wiolo said:

Venom never glances. Meaning that against a crocodile for example who has 70% DR it means that 35% of the time where a weapon would deal no damage at all venom would.

True, but the damage increase is so low from toxic that you're better off just getting fire res.

5 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

True, but the damage increase is so low from toxic that you're better off just getting fire res.

The Jewellery system rewards diversity well. A almost perfect toxic ring for example rewards 5% more damage, while 2 reward 6.66% damage, while three is 7.5% if I'm correct.
OR you could have 1 toxic ring and a fire ring and get 5% more damage and 7.5% burn resistance. And don't forget about the necklace slot! (No idea if bracelets actually work.)

Any news on Salve of Fire? In my best knowledge it is unavailable currently making fire jewellery at a disadvantage... or am I wrong totally? 

Edited by Jaz

2 hours ago, Mclavin said:

Isn't there a increased fire damage spell? 

A counterpart of salve of frost (and acid if we are there) was announced but it seems did not make into the game yet...

49 minutes ago, Mclavin said:

outside of the zerg element

5001ea3d5b7cc6be7cd859fe385b2d2a.png

big issue right now @Budda

1 hour ago, Mclavin said:

outside of the zerg element

5001ea3d5b7cc6be7cd859fe385b2d2a.png

are u saying that robz is bad? Are you saying that you would win a 1vs2 when you are not a champ and those two are a king and an 80+ faith priest? You're giving yourselves far too much credit for what was just some luck

"literally impossible to heal with spells against 2 priests"

I mean if you don't skip half of this thread you'll see clearly I've been saying what Robz was saying for ages and I said once you guys get out and see outside of zerg element how it is, it sucks.
I think Robz Would Agree with me right now, compared to the argument from people who do not know any other playstyle other than zerg and no that isn't towards you either.
So if you think I'm looking at Robz and saying you're bad, then go re-read my past points and come back and you might see that I think heals/tangleweave = bad. Not the players.

At any point you are met with a priest over your side, you will have a very hard time. Tangleweave OP. Heals suck. LOF sucks.

And yes I would win 1 vs 2, easily before this priest patch hit making it mandatory to have priests on your side, or face losing as a guarantee.

This wasn't the case when we were 3 vs 12 WU
This wasn't the case when i was 1 vs 5 panda
This wasn't the case when I was 5 vs 10 DD. 

I'd post videos but that isn't the point of this thread and my history of taking such fights are very well known.

Edited by Mclavin

Necroing this thread since apparently it's the only place where Dev's care about meaningful discussions that take place about mechanics.

I have arrived. I am at your campus. I have a tent, a table, a sign that threatens the very foundation of your conscious existence, and a posse of over 100 angry self-righteous bigots I can call upon at any time to support me. My message?

ElTdHsQ.png

Priest changes were bad for PvP as a whole. Being a priest should not be a requirement for PvP, there are many who like to enjoy playing the game as a non-priest and PvP shouldn't be limited for those people.

Favor regen could be a potential fix for this in my opinion, as previously favor requirements were one of the main reasons spells weren't spammed as they weren't cost-effective.

I am open to discussing any ideas on how priests can be essentially de-incentivized in PvP, as well as open to having a reasonable discussion as to why you think differently.

• Like 1

Which changes made being a priest a requiremewnt? Is it the spells ability to control the field? A priest fighter being all around better than a non priest fighter? 

Could have priests more squishy