Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Priest overhaul testing

People are giving me far too much credit for my work on the priest rework. As is stated above, the development team is not a single person. While I did a large portion of the overhaul, it would be false to claim I did everything. Much of the changes were a joint effort between the developers and came at the conclusion of discussions with the whole team.

12 hours ago, Budda said:

If damage is too high we'll tweak it down, though it sounds like a combo of slightly too high damage, and resistances not doing enough to combat multiple priests stacking out a single target.

Will look into some tweaks for it.

I was prepared to come to our next discussion with this as a topic. It would've come with a recommendation to collapse the resistances of Shard of Ice, Fireheart, and Rotting Gut into a single shared resistance. This prevents the spell spam while keeping their potency (which is well received) intact.

• Like 4

yes, making the same resistance would help, but the cast time is too short for the damage on Fireheart and Iceshard, it should be 10 seconds in my opinion, Inferno is fine, it's a longer cast, easier to spot and tangleweave/move out if you head the correct way.

But we could just try the shared resistance and go from there. 

9 hours ago, Sindusk said:

People are giving me far too much credit for my work on the priest rework. As is stated above, the development team is not a single person. While I did a large portion of the overhaul, it would be false to claim I did everything. Much of the changes were a joint effort between the developers and came at the conclusion of discussions with the whole team.

I was prepared to come to our next discussion with this as a topic. It would've come with a recommendation to collapse the resistances of Shard of Ice, Fireheart, and Rotting Gut into a single shared resistance. This prevents the spell spam while keeping their potency (which is well received) intact.

That's a great idea.

22 hours ago, Sindusk said:

i really hope they follow through with this

On 1/24/2019 at 5:45 PM, Sindusk said:

If you do that, remember to make sure it doesn't affect spells like Excel/Truehit/Frantic Charge being casted on yourself for that resistance. If you haven't thought of it already. if you do a basic spell resistance

About priest journal. to get step benediction finished on Journal i need hold 100 sermons, i see that bit "stupid" request those who had already 100 faith. I bet that all priest had kept atleast that amount sermons to reach 100 faith.

On 1/24/2019 at 2:26 AM, Budda said:

If damage is too high we'll tweak it down, though it sounds like a combo of slightly too high damage, and resistances not doing enough to combat multiple priests stacking out a single target.

Will look into some tweaks for it.

Its a bigger problem than just number tweeks, the entire pvp meta has changed, it went from melee with spells for heals 95% of the time, to mostly spamming spells. Now to be competitive in pvp you simply HAVE to be a priest which sucks.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Threap said:

Its a bigger problem than just number tweeks, the entire pvp meta has changed, it went from melee with spells for heals 95% of the time, to mostly spamming spells. Now to be competitive in pvp you simply HAVE to be a priest which sucks.

Remember, though, everyone is invested in SotG, not PoP: and PoP is clearly intended to be a counter to spell spam.

I like the idea of spells being powerful, and I'd rather see a natural "rock/paper/scissors" effect than the ideal build being the same for everyone:

- priests > SotG melee warriors

- PoP priest-hunters > priests

- SotG melee warriors > PoP priest-hunters

Granted, we're not there, but any changes I'd consider would be moving toward that goal.

One crazy possible change, for instance, would be to prevent anyone on Path of Insanity from being a priest... :P

4 hours ago, Roccandil said:

Remember, though, everyone is invested in SotG, not PoP: and PoP is clearly intended to be a counter to spell spam.

I like the idea of spells being powerful, and I'd rather see a natural "rock/paper/scissors" effect than the ideal build being the same for everyone:

- priests > SotG melee warriors

- PoP priest-hunters > priests

- SotG melee warriors > PoP priest-hunters

Granted, we're not there, but any changes I'd consider would be moving toward that goal.

One crazy possible change, for instance, would be to prevent anyone on Path of Insanity from being a priest... :P

I presume you are refering to Elemental Immunity, it only lasts 30 mins and has 18h cooldown, thats hardly a counter to spell spam and the most valuable thing Pop gives you is 50% stam reduction.

Edited by Threap

6 minutes ago, Threap said:

I presume you are refering to Elemental Immunity, it only lasts 30 mins and has 18h cooldown, thats hardly a counter to spell spam and the most valuable thing Pop gives you is 50% stam reduction.

^ That alone seems like OP OP ability ignoring whole elemental damage content

is that "haha a priest, talk to the hand for 30minutes..with all spells" or just for extra damage modifiers from weapon/accessories

1 minute ago, Finnn said:

is that "haha a priest, talk to the hand for 30minutes..with all spells" or just for extra damage modifiers from weapon/accessories

Not with No Sotg, he will die 30% quicker to melee.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea that Path of Insanity and priesthood should be mutually exclusive.

You know, Path of Hate is almost never mentioned, but even more than PoP, it sounds like the counter to spell spam:

Spell Immunity

Gained at level 11

Spell Immunity - gives protection against offensive spells (details needed)

Does not protect from AoE effects (Confirmed by Rolf via IRC June 2013)

unless you're a champ you can't feasibly go anything except sotg, you just die instantly in close combat, and they'll realise that the instant they can't cast spells on you, and just truestrike+huge axe ya

PoH also won't protect against aoe, and you'll take 30% more damage from them compared to a sotg so you'll get shafted there anyway

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 1

Yeah, I'm wondering if SotG should work against physical damage only.

But PoH isn't the counter to huge axes, SotG is. The problem I see is that priests are destroying SotG toons via spells, but no one has invested in the spell counters because SotG has always been the build to have.

An additional issue is that SotG toons can be priests: which means the best of all worlds. That's really sucky balance. :(

So, I've thrown some crazy ideas out there:

This is the testing board guys! Is this really the right place to just casually talk about stuff like this?

Also love your new avatar Retrograde!

9 hours ago, Finnn said:

Well the priest can just dispel him and the immunity is gone ,

9 hours ago, Wiolo said:

This is the testing board guys! Is this really the right place to just casually talk about stuff like this?

Absolutely. :) At least as I see it, this is now the live-action testing discussion.

Probably more relevant than avatar discussion to be fair

• Like 3

I don't get why you're hyping pop, spells in the end are used to get you into hurting then rush with melee. 

Spells have cool downs, if you come across 1 vs 1 you're going to ignore his one spell for the whole one minute of his cool down and 99% of the fight will be melee in which you are 30% weaker in Dr to, you're so focused on ignoring spells as a counter to spell spam but ignoring why it's even used, its a garuntee slow on the enemy to then Rush with MELEE. 

And if you think this can't be achieved with a single arrow if the player does have spell immunity for 30 minutes, then you'd be very wrong and I could link 2-3 videos of me killing players a few tiles from A hop cause an arrow slowed them enough. Again if you're not sotg the arrow would simply do more damage anyway and there is no Cool down on arrow or resistance. 

Also why go pop over the chance of coming across a priest, he might not even be a priest so you got a CD you can't even use and are weaker lol. You can garuntee priest or not priest, melee will be used. 

If you don't have sotg, you're dead weight to melee pvp. 

Your path idea is not viable nor worth ignoring spells for. 

It isn't a counter. 

Edited by Mclavin

4 hours ago, Mclavin said:

If you don't have sotg, you're dead weight to melee pvp.

I consider this more of a problem than spell spam.

On 1/26/2019 at 5:49 PM, monsterix said:

About priest journal. to get step benediction finished on Journal i need hold 100 sermons, i see that bit "stupid" request those who had already 100 faith. I bet that all priest had kept atleast that amount sermons to reach 100 faith.

And good luck casting a global spell if you are a priest of a demi-god - they don't have the rite spells (at least Nahjo doesn't)...

As per today's patch notes:

Resist changes:

• Fireheart, shard of ice and rotting gut all changed to 150 seconds for 100% resist with 1.5 seconds resist added per power.

Tweaked spell damages:

• Worm brains from 140 damage  down to 120 damage per power
  • Inferno from 30k to 25k base damage
  • Hypothermia from 300 to 250 damage per power
  • Fireheart from 10k to 9k base damage, 100 to 80 damage per power
  • Shard of ice from 150 to 120 damage per power
  • Rotting gut from 8k to 7k base damage, 120 to 100 damage per power

Was also a bug with the resist numbers on the 3 nuke spells that I fixed up to work with their intended values, so you might notice some changes with the resists there.

Should hopefully keep the stacking of multiple priests on one target a bit more in line, shouldn't be able to immediately outright kill a 50 characteristic character stacking each cast now. If inferno still proves to be the far and away best heavy nuke spell I'll look at balancing the damage output to rely on power of the cast a little bit more, instead of having such high static base damage.

As always, keep feedback of how it works in-game coming and we'll keep tweaking.

• Like 1

counter priests for non priests I'd have the followng:

1. Blocking spells/reducing the damage with shields, but only if your shield is facing the correct way like archery. Shield will not protect from pillars. 

2. Make shield bash a much better option for interrupting, if it fails to Stun/knock down the player it should STILL interrupt the spell cast at a higher % chance.

3. Make damage and CR increase apply to followers as well. <This is massive.

• Like 1

Remember when priests were unable to archer? Might have been a reason for that.