Sign in to follow this  
Ajala

Fraggle Rock Canal -- Grand Opening!

I'm extremely proud to announce the grand opening of Xanadu's newest -- and undoubtedly best -- canal.

The Fraggle Rock Canal is now complete, after no fewer than 100 days of tireless work by a small posse of dedicated Wurmians.

Here's a map of where it is.

Uec4uCX.jpg

Fraggle Rock Canal removes literally HOURS of travel time from central Xanadu to the east and south coasts and server borders.

From the center of the Xanadu map, on Pumpkin Lake, you can get to the east server border in under one hour, with good winds. From the center of the tunnel, it's 30 minutes.

It's an "ALL BOATS" tunnel. The canal is deep enough to  accommodate the largest of ships, and the ceiling is high enough that you shouldn't find your head lost in the ceiling.

There's a two-tile, paved highway running for the entire length, ready and waiting to be catseyed and added to the Xan highway system.

There are lamps every 10 tiles to light your way.

It should go without saying that there are no veins blocking your path, and whole thing is fully strongwalled/supported from beginning to end. So, no ceiling collapses to upset your journey!

We're hoping the GMs will deign to give us "Heritage" status. But you never know with those guys. They may decide to collapse the whole thing for kicks instead. :)

From the western edge, you want to be looking for this bridge (Fraggle Rock Tunnel):

22gtk01.jpg

At the eastern edge, look for this:

g9L5Cus.jpg

Inside, this is what you should expect:

7QBO13S.jpg

So who built this wonderful *cough*Heritage*cough site?

The original route was mined out four years ago -- by these people -- but apparently never completed before the builders buggered off to a different server. 

It was a great route, but not ready for any type of boat, or even a wagon.

On July 7 this year, EnlightenedOne proposed the idea of making it into a proper canal tunnel.

Sadly, he never followed through by actually doing anything, but he did inspire several of us to finish the job left to us by our ancestors.

Notably, Thorinoakshield and Wulfmaer acted as de facto project leads. On a project of this scale and complexity, you need people who know what they're doing, and these guys do exactly know what they're doing. These dudes are the reason this monster of a job only took 100 days and not 200. They also knocked the crap out of countless rock tiles and metal veins, added supports, lamps... goodness knows what else!

Other than myself and my alt, the following people (in no particular order) contributed more hours to this job than it is reasonable to ask of a person to contribute:

Zethereal, Harthim and Frederick -- relentless, relentless miners. Seriously, you should have seen these guys bashing away at the stubbornest 20ql iron veins with no regards for their own personal enrichment. That takes love and dedication, and we salute them for it!

Snowtech -- not only did he mine out a goodly chunk of the canal and tunnel, he also donated a bunch of high-end picks to the cause. Brilliant! Knocked off at least two seconds per action for me.

Astlyr and Ironmaiden -- weird, vegan, hippy priests with an insatiable appetite for chopped vegetables and a penchant for casting strongwall spells. They're at least half of the reason the roof isn't going to fall in on your head on your way to the east coast. Kiss their feet and worship them.

Most of the gang met up today to knock the last 100 ores out of the last iron vein.

Thorin posted some pics in his thread and I recorded the moment for posterity with an animated GIF.

qqceWVx.gif

Edited by Ajala
  • Like 16

Just an update: I moved to the area originally on a temporary basis to work on the canal, but I like the area so much I am planning on setting down permanent roots. I am in the process of building some of the necessities for a functional deed & then will be working on attaching the 2-wide wagon trail to the highway system. I am also going to be making monthly ( or so ) trips through the canal to repair / re-imp lamps as necessary to keep the canal lit and easily navigated by both land and sea.

The canal looks great, if I do say so myself. Congrats to all involved!

Edited by zethreal
  • Like 3

Great work! And thank you!

Yours,

A south-eastern Xanadian

• Like 1

Congratulations on finishing the canal I know from working on it years ago how much work was needed. Dksprocket whose idea it was originally would be delighted to see it and even more pleased to see you used the original name ?

To commemorate the occasion the happy workers are relaxing after finishing the project.

Spoiler

26173750_10157127432364517_1572318300879

• Like 4

Great work. Now only the Lake Selkie - Lake Vrock connection is missing for a complete south to north inner lakes passage.

Congratulations! Love that this is finished. Great work all, and it looks amazing!

• Like 2

It has taken a while; well, in fact, it has taken much longer as expected; but as of today, Fraggle Rock Canal is an offical Herritage Site.

Many thanks to Ajala for helping me out on this.

And many thanks to the GM's that had to come back every time because things weren't beautiful enough, but never ran out of patience. If I ever make another application, I'll know what to be prepared for. :D

For those of you who consider using the canal in the future; this is how it looks at the East side:

1tTAFrB.png

And this is how it looks at the west side: 

HIFGaQ3.png

I can only conclude now, that this project is completely completed.

Thorin :)

• Like 4

For the original build team -- or anyone else for that matter -- there's an opportunity with the changes to source springs to do a bit of an upgrade on the tunnel.

The building housing a spring that we had to tunnel around is now gone, so it should be possible to mine down and make the last stretch of the tunnel a straight shot, no steering required.

However, you'll need to be able to remove several floor reinforcements, and I don't have that power.

I expect you'd need GM permission too.

• Like 1

It's a herritage site, so yes, GM permission is required.
What's also needed is a deed above that specific spot, with the perms to remove any kind of reinforcements to those who want to mine.

And finally, since the road got that turn as well,

it could be considered to strongwall / collapse some tiles there, redirect the highway making the road a nice long stretch too.

But if it could be done, I'm in.

As soon as I'm home, that is. :D

Thorin :) 

• Like 1

Congrats Ajala and Thorin that the ###### is gone. Happy new year!