Sign in to follow this  
Wilczan

Allow to build houses without doors on the bottom floor

As in title.

Restriction that house must have doors doesn't make sense considering that player can also wall himself in, using fences.

Would allow us to build pillars without making fake closure on the bottom by using arched wall and fence.

Edited by Wilczan

I would request no door or opening requirement at all.  I can bash a wall down if I need to. 

+1

-1   I don't see how this is necessary.

Edited by Wargasm
  • Cat 1

3 hours ago, Wargasm said:

So you can build pillars without access from the botttom. Useful for bridges.

55 minutes ago, Wilczan said:

Exactly. But not all bridges are only one tile wide.  You’d need to allow for more.

Edited by Thalius

5 minutes ago, Thalius said:

Exactly. But not all bridges are only one tile wide.  You’d need to allow for more.

True. Edited title.

1 hour ago, Wilczan said:

Lock the doors?  If this mechanic is intended for Chaos/Epic, then the answer is still no.

1 hour ago, Wargasm said:

Lock the doors?  If this mechanic is intended for Chaos/Epic, then the answer is still no.

I don't want it to have any doors. Locking is not an option and solution with arched wall and fence looks bad.

You can walkaround this requirement in bigger houses (like 2x1 and bigger) by placing arched wall or door inside of the building, so it is not on the outside wall, but on 1x1 for example you have no option.

+1. For PvP, walls come down easily anyhow (especially if no one is there to repair them).

+1 at 30 masonry.  I'm guessing by then it's less likely a noob will wall themselves in by mistake.

Oh, maybe full tile pillars should just be a thing, which should make it easy to keep players from walling themselves in.

3 hours ago, Roccandil said:

Oh, maybe full tile pillars should just be a thing, which should make it easy to keep players from walling themselves in.

How would you plan a bride from a pillar then? One person has to get on top of it to plan a bridge, which was the original idea for the suggestion- to be able to build a 1x1 tile pillar as a bridge support with no openings on the ground floor.

I suppose one could build a wood pillar next to it with ladders to get to height they needed to plan keep the pillar going up and to access the floors where the bridge needs to go, then destroy the wood/ladder pillar when done.

Just something that would need to be thought through if a "pillar" object was put into the game.

Or perhaps a much simpler solution: Insert a rule in the building mechanics that gives a notice when finishing the first floor of a building with no doors or openings on the ground floor:

"You cannot build the last wall to this structure from the inside"

Require the builder and all other players to be outside the building when the last wall is completed in such a case.

Has this solution not been suggested yet? It seems a simple and easy fix.

Edited by Thalius
  • Like 1

On 10/13/2018 at 4:18 AM, Wilczan said:

Would allow us to build pillars without making fake closure on the bottom by using arched wall and fence.

On 10/13/2018 at 7:08 AM, Thalius said:

I would request no door or opening requirement at all.  I can bash a wall down if I need to. 

+1

On 10/13/2018 at 7:58 AM, Wargasm said:

Spoiler

Image result for buffalo bill silence of the lambs

+1 I could use this.

Easiest implementation that I can see - i.e. no change to current mechanic needed, would be a hidden door, like a stone mine door.

For a hidden door, the mechanic is a door but the skin is the same as the wall.  

• Like 2

When can we get my new friend trap? Would be great to build houses that have no doors on the bottom floor where players fall in and can only suicide out.

On 11/22/2018 at 2:39 AM, Thalius said:

Or perhaps a much simpler solution: Insert a rule in the building mechanics that gives a notice when finishing the first floor of a building with no doors or openings on the ground floor:

"You cannot build the last wall to this structure from the inside"

Require the builder and all other players to be outside the building when the last wall is completed in such a case.

This would be perfect.

• Like 1

+1 This is what happens when you have a door under your bridge. I couldn't target him until I got in that little room under the bridge with him.wurm.20210131.2123.jpg

Granted a lock would have helped keep him out but still.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2018 at 7:58 AM, Wargasm said:

It could be a nice design idea. Perhaps a ramp to an upper floor and a lower floor as a 'basemenet'?

• Like 1

If I understand this correctly... Wilczan wants to build a house on pillars. No ground floor at all. Make access by bridges and 2nd or higher floors.

If that's not it, then Wilczan wants to be able to make a functional house with no doors on its ground floor for some other cosmetic purposes.

Either way, I'd like the option. Forcing us to put doors on the ground floor does not prevent new players from walling themselves in. I have had to help 2 such newbies by bashing a wall, when they added a room to their new buildings (I have screenies, I said to one, no just stand there by the window so I can get a screenie (lol)). But I can understand GMs don't want to spend the rest of their lives answering support tickets, where newbies walled themselves into their new building.

I like Reylaark's idea of making it level dependent. Another option is make it somehow tied to being able to teleport out. Like a karma or meditation teleport.

I'm not sure what would happen tho, in the case where a troll gets stuck in a newbies new house (I have had a troll spawn inside locked house on deed, once), and the tower guards may have a problem mapping to the evil intruder (in the case where there is a walled in ground floor w/ no door access on it, the guards would need to figure a route across the bridges thru rooms and such down a ladder...).

So I give a conditional thumbs up on this one. Good idea. Thanks for posting.

Teeebomb