Sign in to follow this  
Tenniel

Map Generator (flavor alternative)

I like the look - but - I think im missing something - all I had was the option to generate a map (it looks good), But I was not allowed to select any thing - ores, height nada - is there a setting I am missing?

• Like 1

I've replaced the UI panel, and instead use only a properties file. You can have many properties files, and you can share properties files among peers instead of sharing the entire map, they just need the same version of the program.

Copy the properties file sent with the program, and tweak the settings to your liking. Run the program with the properties file.

No matter what settings I use, I end up with terrain like this on and around mountains. Slopes of 120 and 109 should not be happening when  dirt is dropped, why is it doing this? I have the following dirt drop and erosion settings.

#How much dirt to drop per tile on the map
dirtDropCount=60
#Maximum rock slope for adding dirt
maxDirtSlope=40
#Maximum diagonal rock slope for adding dirt
maxDirtDiagSlope=56

#How many times to pass over the map
erosionIterations=30
#Only erode above this slope
erosionMinSlope=1
#Only erode below this slope
erosionMaxSlope=4000
#How much dirt is dropped on each iteration
erosionMaxSediment=100
#How much fracturing is added after erosion
erosionFracture=20

unknown.png

unknown.png

Edited by Rudie

@Rudie did you try using Budda's original wgenerator? i think it gives you a little more control options. on the other hand i dont like how they seem to come out with flat mountain tops and

somewhat uneven not smooth terrain.

I just ended up using maps i liked submitted by creators.

@GriffithI have used that in the past but wanted to give this ago because of the ability to paint biomes. I'm hoping it's something that can be changed because there's a section in the original post that says that Dirt also erodes, and at some places piles up to mounds, which is what it seems to be doing, but changing min erode and max erode slope doesn't seem to have any effect at all.

This is a very nice tool, but unfortunately, it doesn't offer heightmap importing like the original WGenerator, the one released by the Wurm devs. Is the tool still being worked on? The biome distribution is excellent, which is a shame.

Sorry, I don't watch this forum any more. I've moved to forum.wurm-unlimited.net but haven't posted my map generator there yet.

So, it's about two years since I worked on this map generator, and I don't remember how to tweak the settings for optimal map generation.

On 8/6/2020 at 12:04 AM, FiftyTifty said:

This is a very nice tool, but unfortunately, it doesn't offer heightmap importing like the original WGenerator, the one released by the Wurm devs. Is the tool still being worked on? The biome distribution is excellent, which is a shame.

You can certainly edit the heightmap in an image editor like Photoshop or GIMP. Please read the instructions on how to use the tool, it's all there.

When I get the time I will release it as open source and post documentation in our Wiki: wiki.wurm-unlimited.net

I plan on creating a new map for a server cluster, and will fix a few bugs in this generator and will work on some new features and optimize the code a bit.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2020 at 3:34 PM, Tenniel said:

So, it's about two years since I worked on this map generator, and I don't remember how to tweak the settings for optimal map generation.

I hope I can help here. Did play around with your map generator for about two weeks now, mostly generating 8k and 16k maps (i. e. 32x32km / 64x64km), as this generator is WAY better than the BuddaT one.

This is one of my runs which created a decent map. For all who want to reproduce it – don't. You'll need about 60-70 GB of RAM and 6 GB of disk space for that and have to modify the wurm server launcher afterwards to be able to load it. Oh, and each generation run takes about 2 hours on a fairly recent high level gaming rig. But you may scale the sizes down and give it a shot – should work fine then.

For those who really DO want to try it, I'll post a HowTo down below

#Name of map, if mapSeed is blank or zero, a hash value is generated as mapSeed from the name
mapName=Shores_of_Luck			# Does only determine the map folder name, NOTHING ELSE!
mapSeed=LuckyDevil			# Has no function whatsoever

#Size of map in tiles, width and height
mapSize=16384				# Size 64x64 km
#Height in altitude of the map, defines height of mountains
mapHeight=15000				# 1.5 km above map bottom. Roughly equals half the height of the European Alps
#Resolution of the general map shape
mapResolution=4096.0			# Inverted size of the randomness map window. That is, the higher, the bigger the island, the lower, the more and smaller islands. Best for about 1-4 main islands is about 1/4 mapSize
#Resolution of the landscape
landscapeResolution=2048.0		# How coarse your map is. 1/2 mapResolution is best, lower is Fields of Verdun 1918, higher is children aquarelle

#Determines the randomness of the height map
heightSeed=753				# Random seed for the map in general
#Determines the randomness when normalizing the height map
normalizeSeed=994			# Random seed for local area changes, like peaks in the mountain area and such
#Determines the randomness when fracturing the height map
fractureSeed=25484			# Can't really say, I'd imagine it's small area randomization, but that I wasn't able to really see

#Number of iterations on heightmap, higher value renders more rock detail
heightMapIterations=10			# How much detail is being put into the rock layer – best is 10-15, lower is children watercolors, higher doesn't really matter much
#Size of water border around map, number of tiles
heightMapMinEdge=64			# Also determines how stark the cliffs are towards the map edge, that is if you can see the shore is towards the map edge as it will be straight for miles if the number here is too small
#How spread out mountains are. Less = more centralized mountains
heightMapBorderWeight=8			# 5-15 is a fairly decent range, as higher will show up in the island geometry towards the map edges
#Compression ratio of height map, adjust for shape of mountains and shore lines
heightMapCompression=18			# THIS IS THE PEAK CAPPING CULPRIT; sortof is a weight towards the median height of the map, not affecting shore lines. Below 15 you probably will have flattened mountain tops, higher than 25 will result in Cliffs of Dover and hilly plateaus
#Used to evaluate at what height mountain peaks becomes highly fractured
heightMapPeaks=1000			# used to get higher detail on mountain tops, resembling rocks, cliffs and whatnot

### Until here everything shows up in Quick Map, for most stuff below you need a full render ###

#How many times to pass over the map
erosionIterations=25			# Good number to get a fairly decent erosion, the more the flatter, but probably more coarse. Determines heavily the map generation time
#Only erode above this slope
erosionMinSlope=40			# Slopes below which should not be eroded, to preserve some detail
#Only erode below this slope
erosionMaxSlope=300			# Slopes above which no erosion takes place, to preserve cliffs and steep ravines
#How much dirt is dropped on each iteration
erosionMaxSediment=20			# How much erosion takes place per iteration
#How much fracturing is added after erosion
erosionFracture=10			# How much deviation there is
### The former two options I had to change from standard, because I got landscape that would've stopped a tank battalion dead, with no plains but every single tile corner deviating up to 20 from the average. It looked like the cruel child of Naboo and Mustafar, or Passendale 1918.

#How much dirt to drop per tile on the map
dirtDropCount=60			# That is 6 meters
#Maximum rock slope for adding dirt
maxDirtSlope=50				# Dirt will not be placed if one slope would be higher than that
#Maximum diagonal rock slope for adding dirt
maxDirtDiagSlope=70			# Same as above, but diagonal
#Sea level
waterHeight=500				# That is, the map bottom is 50 meters below sea level
#How much cliffs protrude. Less = buried cliffs, More = lots of cliffs
cliffRatio=1.0				# I don't notice much difference between 0.1 and 0.5, as it's smooth hills all the way; 1.0 is nice, 2.5 is cruel landscape and 5 is basically Mars/Moon.
#Dirt is not dropped above this height
dirtHeight=13000			# Pretty self-explanatory; you want rock up there, right?
#Place snow on mountain peaks
snowHeight=13500			# YES, you want snow :D
#Place tundra above this height
tundraHeight=12000			# Above this height (1150m above sea level) you'll get only tundra
#Map gets more land area, and less water area
moreLand=false				# Bloated islands
#Pushes dirt down that is above max slope
landSlide=true				# Will generate landslides in the end, so you'll end up with no dirt slope being steeper than set (and more dirt on the foot of a hill)

#Determines the randomness of the biomes
biomeSeed=1793
#Resolution of biome areas, determines shape and size of biomes
biomeResolution=1024.0
#Minimum temperature for desert biomes
biomeDesertTemp=21.5
#Minimum temperature for steppe biomes
biomeSteppeTemp=19.0
#Maximum temperature for tundra biomes
biomeTundraTemp=1.8
#Maximum temperature for glacier biomes
biomeGlacierTemp=-1.0
#Minimum temperature for subtropical biome types
biomeSubtropicalTemp=14.0
#Minimum temperature for mediterranean biome types
biomeMediterranTemp=8.0
#Minimum temperature for temperate biome types
biomeTemperateTemp=5.0
#Percentage for density of trees and bushes
biomePlantDensity=85			# I set that higher, as below that you'll have too little trees
#Percentage for density of flowers on grass
biomeFlowerDensity=30
#Percentage for size of beaches
biomeBeaches=55
#Percentage for size of clay pits
biomeClayPits=30

#Ore types				# Quite high numbers, cut that in half or down to a quarter if you don't want to stumble on ressources every couple of tiles; the numbers add up to about 83% of all tiles being rock tiles without a ressource; mining three tiles in a straight row guarantees having at least one ressource found 
oreIron=5.0
oreGold=0.3
oreSilver=0.6
oreZinc=0.9
oreCopper=1.2
oreLead=1.2
oreTin=1.2
oreAddy=0.3
oreGlimmer=0.6
oreMarble=0.6
oreSlate=1.2
oreSandstone=1.2
oreRocksalt=2.4

With biomes I didn't really play much around, since they produced quite nice results on my maps, placing fir trees on mountains (below the tundra level) and not on the coast and so on. There might come up some weird things, but I doubt they'll be a pain in the ass. Oh, and one thing: The PNG map of the generator lies. It is fake-3D, so you don't see the tiles from right above, but from an angle, and this confuses the snow placement there too. Won't be a problem on the rendered map, mind you, but don't be surpised when the nice place you found, placed marker and teleported to using the coordinates is not where being shown on the generator. Especially regarding the marker - it's also wrong. Tile 0/0 is NW corner, not (as the generator assumes) SW. 

As for clay and tar pits, I have to stress they are generated, albeit VERY SELDOM. But - and this is what I absolutely love about this generator - BIG. So on this particular map, I found two of both being several hundred meters in diameter, and this you can spot from quite afar, adding realism to the game. I'd love to see that with trees and ores too, but both of those types are sprinkled around like being placed by a mapwide short shower, so you probably won't find forests for the better part of the first two ingame years, which is quite sad. If you (@Tenniel) could add that, I'd be more than happy. And, by the way, I'd absolutely love to see that project on Github.

HOWTO 16k maps:

First, have about 60 GB of RAM. Not kidding you, this will be used by the biome generator and erosion system. I've worked with 80 GB just to be sure. Place the map generator in a path WITHOUT SPACES. That is, using 'C:\Users\MyUser\Documents\mapgen', not 'C:\Users\MyUser\Documents\my new map generator'. For Linux, this might not be necessary, didn't try that one out (but there you'll have to be case sensitive, of course). Start up your console/terminal and cd to the path you have placed the jar inside. Start the map generator with 'java -Xmx80G -jar mapgen.jar', REPLACING the 80 with whatever RAM GB size you have to spare. Remember not to use your whole RAM, since the OS wants to have its share too (which is about 2 GB, depending on your settings and OS). Play around with the settings, using 'Quick Map', which only takes about a minute per run.

Hint: If you just want to find a nice seed for the heightmap, you can drop down mapSize, mapResolution and landscapeResolution to 4096, 1024 and 512 respectively and also reduce the height settings to 1/8 (NOT TOUCHING THE SEA LEVEL) to get a fairly decent preview quickly. If you found your overall map shape, gear the settings up to the final ones for the proper 'Quick Map' preview. Do that in any case, as I found some coast lines differ between the resolutions.

If you are satisfied with the preview, hit the 'Render Map' button and go for a pizza, this will take the better part of 2 hours, maybe more (depending on your CPU, RAM and hard drive). Don't be surprised, all map files have 1,048,577 KB in size - this is to be expected.

Afterwards you can copy the maps out of your map directory into the wurm server launcher directory of your choice, add SQL the rest of the stuff like you'd do for all smaller maps. Afterwards locate the LaunchConfig.ini in the WurmServerLauncher directory and replace the lines in the '[Memory]' section by 'InitialHeap=2048m' and 'MaxHeapSize=16384m'. 

Start Wurm as you are used to and start the local server. This will take about 2 minutes (depending on your rig), in which the server window will almost certainly be marked 'Not responding' by Windows. Ignore that, it will finish eventually, using about 8.8 GB of RAM. You can tell it's doing stuff if you open the task manager and look at the numbers (I wholeheartedly recommend using the ProcessExplorer from Microsoft Technet for that, as it provides a plethora of information missing in the standard taskmon).

(For the Linux server users - give me a couple of hours/days, I'm about to set up my own Wurm Unlimited server cluster at the moment).

Edited by MetalWarrior
  • Like 1

Hello MetalWarrior!

Thanks for the positive feedback!

I've not tried rendering 16k maps myself, since I only planned to generate 8k maps, but I'm glad you made it work although it's using crazy amounts of RAM. I'm sure it could be optimized a lot for performance.

The project has been moved to GitHub, and you can find it here: https://github.com/awakening-wurm/WU-Map-Generator