Sign in to follow this  
TheShawv

New Server Hunting Only

I don't think there is any human skill in hunting.. all you need is 1 item and 1 piece of information. get a LT weapon, go north.

No skill in fighting, stand there and kill till you have to run away.

weapon skill training is best done by killing easy things like horses, there should not be many or any blue animals on the hunting server.

besides new people quit because the gap is too big between them and the biggest part of the population . anything that helps people catch up quicker is a good idea for player retention imho, BUT i don't think this server is for new players getting skills fast but more for people with already decent (70+) skills.

you can tell this game is very top heavy by what things get shot down and how discussions go, i hope developers take decisions that most favor getting more new people and retain new players.

14 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

mfw weapon skills and stance skills do absolutely jack compared to time invested to get above 50 yet that's what you decided to strawman. differnece between 50 wep skill and 95 is like .2 seconds swing timer and a little bit of parry rate lmfao

Bring your all 50's skill across-the-board-cause-nothing-above-matters account to Chaos, pretty much anyone should be more than happy to show you why that doesn't work.

Edited by whereami

On 11/4/2018 at 6:14 AM, elroth said:

I don't think there is any human skill in hunting.. all you need is 1 item and 1 piece of information. get a LT weapon, go north.

No skill in fighting, stand there and kill till you have to run away.

weapon skill training is best done by killing easy things like horses, there should not be many or any blue animals on the hunting server.

besides new people quit because the gap is too big between them and the biggest part of the population . anything that helps people catch up quicker is a good idea for player retention imho, BUT i don't think this server is for new players getting skills fast but more for people with already decent (70+) skills.

you can tell this game is very top heavy by what things get shot down and how discussions go, i hope developers take decisions that most favor getting more new people and retain new players.

Then if you are not against the server idea, but would like areas where mobs are numerous, still needing maybe 2 or 3 people with less skill to tackle?  Maybe islands where easier mobs are found so that people starting out could take a sailboat of friends and hunt for the day and work their skills upwards to catch=up per say to the top heavy crowd that have been playing for 10 years? Sounds like a possible add to the suggestions. Variety in skill levels and mob types?

The idea of this Hunting Server is that it can be exclusively for aggressive type mobs and the possible addition of new harder to kill aggressive mobs that would need 2+ skilled players to kill them. To me the importance of this is that it maintains the general aggressive mob balance on the current servers while it gives those players who are always wanting harder aggressive mobs to kill a place to go for that option.

The aggressive mobs are not "zoned" in Wurm like other games but they run rampant throughout all the servers, thus even under the current conditions those weaker fighters or those who have little interest in them are constantly under threat and harassed by them. I would not like to see the current servers impacted even more than they are to satisfy the players interesting in hunting and more difficult mobs to kill. This is why this Hunting Server is an even better idea as time progresses to create an actual "zone" to contain them, mainly to protect the current servers from this type of increasing aggressive environment.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

Alot of good ideas, not many dev comments or counter ideas.

Any chance of a comment by someone in power?

-1, Terraforming sandbox needs less rules not more.  Deeds are revenue so any server that restricts them is counter-productive. Also we shouldn't deprive people the opportunity to make hunting deeds or hunting cabins in Wurm.

Figure out a way to increase mob counts in under populated areas of servers and make those areas known with a green light or something when the mob counts reaches a certain level.  

As said many times before, make new mobs that are harder than rift creatures but not as hard as the goblin leader.  Solo-able but very, very challenging.

Edited by madnezz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, madnezz said:

-1, Terraforming sandbox needs less rules not more.  Deeds are revenue so any server that restricts them is counter-productive.

People wouldn't suddenly start dropping deeds because a hunting server has opened.  Many people wouldn't want a new server with deeds because it would thin out the population.  It also wouldn't necessarily increase the deed count.

The only sandbox that comes to mind without any rules is Second Life.  Wurm has a rule-governed environment to maintain wurminess.  You can't fly.  You can't breathe underwater, etc.

There are also social restrictions like not allowing super-modern gravity-defying building styles.  Those rules were imposed to maintain wurminess.

It's also not unlike rules governing highways.  They're deemed beneficial to the community.  Same vein.

Also we shouldn't deprive people the opportunity to make hunting deeds or hunting cabins in Wurm.

The hunting deed could easily deprive people of equitable access to beasts though.  The hunting server should aim to avoid that practice.

Also, hunting deeds and hunting cabins would remove much of the challenge.  That kind of safety is exactly not the idea.

Figure out a way to increase mob counts in under populated areas of servers and make those areas known with a green light or something when the mob counts reaches a certain level.  

It's not about mob count though.  Not to mention there's already way too many little green lights all over WO.  I mean aaalll over the place.  I digress.

As said many times before, make new mobs that are harder than rift creatures but not as hard as the goblin leader.  Solo-able but very, very challenging.

Meh.  Solo shmolo.  PvP servers aren't necessarily meant to be solo-able environments.  Similar idea here.  Collaboration, communication, planning, strategy, camaraderie, hilarity... within a PvE environment.

This doesn't mean every single beast out there needs to be a dragon, but the long term survival of a solo player shouldn't be a design goal.  Chances are sooner rather than later you're going to run into something that will eat you... unless you're 100 stealth skill and holding your breath.

Even then, wurmians smell and you can only stay upwind so long.

• Like 2

Fix skill transfers between Freedom and Epic to go back and forth and Epic can be a hunting server.  ?

• Like 1

There is no need for another server, what we have now is barely populated, some of the smaller servers are truly empty, or you can find a corner of xanado that is remote and empty easy enough.

There are 4 epic servers, 7 freedom and chaos, if you can't find enough ###### to hunt there, no idea what you are doing wrong.

Even if another server was added, which there is no point, it would be just more of the same, except for no deeds or buildings? This is a sandbox game, if you can't change things what is the point of it? If this is what you want, pitch your tent on the hota and call it your hunting server.

I do think we could use harder mobs roaming around on freedom, I hear some WU servers let the kangaroo creatures loose for people to slay, maybe that's all we need.

23 minutes ago, nicedreams said:

Fix skill transfers between Freedom and Epic to go back and forth and Epic can be a hunting server.  ?

So you are going to remove pvp from Epic?  

Just now, madnezz said:

So you are going to remove pvp from Epic?  

What?  Can't hunt on PvP servers?  It's allowed on Chaos.

• Like 1

Jake, the suggestion has nothing to do with difficulty finding things to kill.  The people discussing the suggestion positively are not playing incorrectly, they are merely exercising some imagination and creativity on how the playground can grow and what they think would be fun.

Yes, we all know it's a sandbox.  Doesn't mean jungle gyms aren't allowed on the playground.

Also do you think rolf is going to spring for another server with the sagging subs?

Wurm is a business after all, maybe not the best run one, but it is still a business.

45 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

I never seen a jungle gym inside the sandbox,

hence the playground reference.

CCAB's business model is above both our paygrades.  

Besides, if pop is low and there's no interest he can run it on a toaster oven in his closet.

Please keep this topic on the topic of the actual suggestion rather than turning it into another fight about population or business models. If you don't like the suggestion, you may of course express that, but please do it in a civil way without insulting each other or the OP. Thank you.

• Like 3

I agree with the desire to improve the hunting experience, both solo and group.  When I started playing, I was drawn in by the sandbox experience in this setting.  I wanted to hunt in the kings forest.  I began tailoring my character in to the nature skills, butchering skills, tracking, fire-making, etc.  I was quickly disappointed in having to build a "house" to sleep in the forest.  I can trim the fat by leaving the roof and floor out... hmmm... well I guess that will have to do.  Then in no time at all, I realized all of that was unnecessary.  Abundance was the new issue.  Animals abound.  I was going mano a mano with chickens and other various livestock.  Going about my daily routine, and not thinking about hunting, I butchered whatever I came across or attacked me. Before long I had hundreds even thousands of butchered products in just a short session.  With the huge amount of storage ability, inventory quickly stacked up.  Well, I guess I don't even need to hunt.  It just happens.

I guess I made the mistake and "skipping to the end" by purchasing quality armor, weapons, and a nice fancy butchering knife.  I was both pleased and disappointed.  I was pleased at how much easier it made my life.  Very few places where now off limits.  I wasn't concerned about the downtime of injuries, and the amount and quality of butchered products quickly rose.  There is a market of sorts for these items, but not a lively one.  So what am I going to do with all this stuff?  I see the ultimate currency in Wurm is that of skill level, these products are valuable to an up and coming player for the accumulation of  that "skill wealth".  However, there is no sink for this currency, save for death.  Even then, until you reach a certain point, it is an annoyance more than anything.  Skill wealth gap persists, and is converted to silver through selling high quality items to the lower skill players.

Abandoned mailboxes are everywhere, and I have begun to see them as a sort of resource, like clay, water, abandoned deed, or a mine.  After about a week or two at a spot, I pack up and move, and at any new location, I look for a mailbox the same as I look for whatever abundance of resource for the skill I want to level.  I realize that if you deed up a spot with the right assortment of resources, you can sit and gather almost any of the raw materials needed with no outside interference, and no need to go "outside the wire".   The rest of the map is largely irrelevant.  Can even have your ghost NPCs provide you with corpses on your lawn.  This can be accomplished quite readily by one player.  These types of locations are plentiful.

The point of this: It would be a rewarding experience to harvest low to eventually high level resources in hard to reach, difficult to find, or harsh/non-ideal conditions.  Resources that might require tracking, forestry, or application of survival skills.  Resources that are not so readily found within 50-100 tiles of any spot on the map.  This could include resources that are also too much for the solo player, but not enough for a legion. Or where nasties must be cleared before harvesting other resources.  There are no diversity of regions for resources, except maybe lava fiends, and particular color of grapes. There is an abundance of space that hunting lands could develop without the need for whole new servers.  Pan-fillers is job for those thirsty for silver, but as it produces zero skill wealth for the pan-filler, it is farmed out.  In some ways, it can be seen as elitist as the wealthy distribute crumbs to the poor.   Cultivating resources to inspire the same desire to "farm out" other tasks could also work, as it does with bulk goods.  Time is a currency that most don't want to spend if it costs efficient acquisition of the preferred skill gain.

Since PVP was drug into this, I continue to be perplexed as why it is so cordoned off.  From the Freedom side, what resource is available in Chaos that is worth risk/reward?  What can I retrieve from there that I cannot obtain elsewhere, with significantly less risk?  Affinities, Libila, Tournament awards are the unique resources from my understanding.  God-less, Kingless, or un-deedable areas can be carved out of existing servers that have unique or high quality resources/hunting that is open to PVP is perhaps one option for this.

Maybe I have said too much. lol.

35 minutes ago, Arishok said:

Maybe I have said too much. lol.

No, you proved exactly why we don't need a special 'hunting' server.

;)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

we don't need a special 'hunting' server.

We didn't need more horse colors, beautiful water, different hedges, etc. etc.

Some things are just fun, and appreciated for just being fun.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reylaark said:

We didn't need more horse colors, beautiful water, different hedges, etc. etc.

Some things are just fun, and appreciated for just being fun.

Not the same, not in the least.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Not the same, not in the least.

Tell you what, I'll agree with  you.

If the devs implement a hunting server as you envision it?  It would totally suck.  It'd be a lazy hackjob devoid of anything remotely innovative or worthwhile.  Like you, I hope they don't do that.

On the other hand, if they got past the two "hunting server" words and looked at some of the suggestions in this thread, I think they could create something unique that they could have fun with.  They could even have fun with it on a regular basis going forward thanks to the easily reset-able nature of the suggestion.

No doubt they have a mountain of things on their wooden plates already.  We're more than 10 years into Wurm though, and all kinds of crazy cool stuff is still being added.  Maybe in 10 years we'll be enjoying a new hunting server from our autopilot Tesla hovercrafts as it drives us to pick up deep-fried bacon donuts.

And yes, that's a thing.

https://www.hypnoticdonuts.com/

• Like 1

Wurm needs to be developed on what it already have and make hunting more interesting but not by adding more servers.

I would rather see something like random goblin dungeons in old caves and trolls moving in on flat old deed lands. Combine that with the missions system and have something in the lines of "go demolish the 'zone'" and then get rewarded a yellow potion for it!

Anyhow, make wurm more interesting not more empty!

• Like 4

+1 I love getting to poke at things and make them bleed. Also weapon skill training.

1 hour ago, Pingvinen said:

Wurm needs to be developed on what it already have and make hunting more interesting but not by adding more servers.

I would rather see something like random goblin dungeons in old caves and trolls moving in on flat old deed lands. Combine that with the missions system and have something in the lines of "go demolish the 'zone'" and then get rewarded a yellow potion for it!

Anyhow, make wurm more interesting not more empty!

goblin caves and troll camps, this is a much better idea than adding another server that will just be under utilized like all the other servers we have currently

• Like 2

The regular servers should not become infested with more difficult mobs to satisfy the elitist hunters who are dissatisfied with the lack of challenge and the current number of aggressive mobs roaming the servers. This will only be to the detriment of the far more numerous portion of the playerbase who do not make this the main focus of there game play. Yet they still exhibit little concern for anyone but themselves in endorsing these types of aggressive mob increases and the introduction of even more difficult ones to deal with.

A Hunting server resolves this situation very effectively by making it an optional choice for those who wish to have these types of aggressive mob increases and more difficult ones being added. Yet some object to even having the need to travel there to do so. The aggressive mob counts on the current servers are fine for the general population and should not be increased nor should new more difficult mobs be added to them freely roaming the countrysides. This is why a Hunting server is the perfect solution to avoid upsetting the current balance of general playability on the existing servers.

=Ayes=

• Like 1