Sign in to follow this  
TheShawv

New Server Hunting Only

To me one of the best things about having a Hunting Server is that all newer and more "challenging" mobs should be restricted to it. Then also it can be more densely packed with the normal mobs to satisfy this hunting desire of killing stuff. I know one newer Dev liked to put some enhanced very difficult mobs for an individual to kill on his WU server and with that in mind this would be the proper outlet for them rather than harassing the normal server players with them.

Add some building and terraforming restrictions as several people have mentioned and it would be a good framework to creating a pretty different server than is currently available, thus justifying its existence. While you're at it move those cheating (tele) fog spiders there too!

=Ayes=

• Like 2

Would be awesome if the Hunting Server is launched the same time as an updated fighting system.

On 10/14/2018 at 4:40 PM, Alyeska said:

A sea serpent on land, a dragon, and an avatar at once.

Wurm unlimited is fun, but we're talking about wurm online.

This is epic / Affliction and NOT WU! ?

2 hours ago, khatanka said:

This is epic / Affliction and NOT WU! ?

Same thing

More meat or different kinds of loot is a good idea. I would not make it anything over powering, just different enuff to make it worth grouping up for. Yes you could go there just to build FS and weapon skills, but the majority of the mobs should not be push overs for solo 50fs people in chain. There are already boring repetative mob spawns on every server for that level of fighting. The idea was for monsters that love to throw you, stun you, steal your shields or weapons right out of your hands, poison wounds, internal wounds, monsters with weapons natural or handheld. Stingers, tentacles, multiple teeth filled mouths hungering to rip adventurers limb from limb. Tunneling mobs, fence bashing cart over turning ship sinking mobs. What ever the Devs can dream up to throw at people and want to give a try implementing. This is not noobie land or another freedom server where you can go afk in the woods while you goto the bathroom, This is the server where you have been holding the bathroom break until your buddies carve a hole in the mobs and deffend you long enuff that you can run to the toilet and back hoping they are not dead yet type of server. I want to not only hear screams from the mobs as they attack, but screams from players as they run for the boat on the shoreline, vowing to return for revenge on the champion angry gorilla pack that just routed them. Those are the stories and adventures that are missing from Wurm.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, TheShawv said:

More meat or different kinds of loot is a good idea. I would not make it anything over powering, just different enuff to make it worth grouping up for. Yes you could go there just to build FS and weapon skills, but the majority of the mobs should not be push overs for solo 50fs people in chain. There are already boring repetative mob spawns on every server for that level of fighting. The idea was for monsters that love to throw you, stun you, steal your shields or weapons right out of your hands, poison wounds, internal wounds, monsters with weapons natural or handheld. Stingers, tentacles, multiple teeth filled mouths hungering to rip adventurers limb from limb. Tunneling mobs, fence bashing cart over turning ship sinking mobs. What ever the Devs can dream up to throw at people and want to give a try implementing. This is not noobie land or another freedom server where you can go afk in the woods while you goto the bathroom, This is the server where you have been holding the bathroom break until your buddies carve a hole in the mobs and deffend you long enuff that you can run to the toilet and back hoping they are not dead yet type of server. I want to not only hear screams from the mobs as they attack, but screams from players as they run for the boat on the shoreline, vowing to return for revenge on the champion angry gorilla pack that just routed them. Those are the stories and adventures that are missing from Wurm.

?????

It's been suggested many times, but there are PvP implications to adding something like this. A free playing ground where anyone can go to indefinitely hone their weapon skills, means this suggestion only adds to the already extremely top-heavy nature of PvP.

+1 to more challenging, more rewarding mobs to kill, for higher FS players or even small hunting parties of 2-5 people. (If the rewards, skill and possibly butcher, don't scale to boot then don't even bother, please)

-1 to more servers, IMO we are already spread very thin

Better Idea (In my opinion) - Get the devs to optimize their game more, on the server end not just client, and once mob-handling is done in a better way, have them increase the mob cap on Xanadon't by 5 to 10 orders of magnitude. Problem solved.

• Like 1

If they would allow deeding and building houses, I think the mobs should be able to attack and wreck the place.

Rats should come and eat your crops, goblins should loot the basement. 

We dont need another server that feels like all the others.

Edited by griper

On 10/27/2018 at 1:39 AM, whereami said:

It's been suggested many times, but there are PvP implications to adding something like this. A free playing ground where anyone can go to indefinitely hone their weapon skills, means this suggestion only adds to the already extremely top-heavy nature of PvP.

+1 to more challenging, more rewarding mobs to kill, for higher FS players or even small hunting parties of 2-5 people. (If the rewards, skill and possibly butcher, don't scale to boot then don't even bother, please)

-1 to more servers, IMO we are already spread very thin

Better Idea (In my opinion) - Get the devs to optimize their game more, on the server end not just client, and once mob-handling is done in a better way, have them increase the mob cap on Xanadon't by 5 to 10 orders of magnitude. Problem solved.

PVP implications - how so? Every server is open to everyone who wants to hone their skills. The idea here is grouping, player retention, and harder mor interesting monsters to hunt and kill/ be killed by.

This type of server would not spread thin the population but actually give people a reason to stay/ return. Many quit because they are BORED to death of troll, spider, rat. How many deeds can you build solo, there is no need to group / team up with any one unless its to allow them to pick up a crate you just dropped that the snipe protection system will not let you access because they are standing too close.

Xanadu has its problems but if a hill giant came tearing thru your deed and destroyed everything, you would not be happy. So adding harder things to kill on current servers would not work well. 

• Like 2

+1 if IMHO

-no deeds,

-no buildings

-no mine doors/reinforced mining walls

-no wall / fence building

maybe give it a safe place to dock at with some NPC guards and some walls so you tent there . but other then that NO building. just carnage !

• Like 1

On 10/27/2018 at 12:39 AM, whereami said:

It's been suggested many times, but there are PvP implications to adding something like this.

2lbptr.jpg

Enough already!  Let the game progress for the majority ffs.  Besides, a non-PvP hunting server would be the catalyst to get the PvE ample majority to become more interested in a more modern combat system.

• Like 5

Some PvE people might just meet a few PvP people and realize that its not as bad on a PvP server as they have been led to believe. Or maybe make some new friends, have adventures instead of sitting on deed making mortar and bricks <non needed on this server - no building anything>

I do like the one or maybe 2 safe docking spots with guards and maybe a public trader and a mail box incase you forgot extra weapons or horse gear. Better have a sea wall of sorts with a gate on it to keep all those agressive sea creatures at bay also,  you may need help battling your way off the server too.

Since there are no buildings, fences etc, you will be riding local 4 legged critters. Best bring your own gear and tools it is going to be a rough day.

If players are not allowed to build anything on a server of this type then there should be at least one safe NPC Town on it, perhaps in the center of the server. It could just be a walled off area that no mobs could enter with no facilities of any sort within it. No Spirit Templars inside would be necessary either.

Another option could be these walled off barren "Towns" on the N/S/E/W shores, meaning that there would be a total of 4 of them to serve as refuges for those arriving and departing. Then players could journey inland from these arrival point Towns if they had landed near them upon arrival.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ayes said:

If players are not allowed to build anything on a server of this type then there should be at least one safe NPC Town on it, perhaps in the center of the server. It could just be a walled off area that no mobs could enter with no facilities of any sort within it. No Spirit Templars inside would be necessary either.

Another option could be these walled off barren "Towns" on the N/S/E/W shores, meaning that there would be a total of 4 of them to serve as refuges for those arriving and departing. Then players could journey inland from these arrival point Towns if they had landed near them upon arrival.

=Ayes=

I’d go for the second option- safe havens in four corners near the shore.

Going inland should be a daunting task.  

Maybe a small safe haven in the very center as well though? A place to heal and recollect your thoughts if you make it that far, and good luck getting back to your ship?  Perhaps not a place where baddies could not enter, but maybe some permanent barricades that have holes in them that could be temporarily fortified so you could catch a break?  Bashable by certain baddies, of course.

But if I had to choose, barren safe zones at the shore.

• Like 3

On 10/30/2018 at 8:41 AM, TheShawv said:

PVP implications - how so? Every server is open to everyone who wants to hone their skills. The idea here is grouping, player retention, and harder mor interesting monsters to hunt and kill/ be killed by.

This type of server would not spread thin the population but actually give people a reason to stay/ return. Many quit because they are BORED to death of troll, spider, rat. How many deeds can you build solo, there is no need to group / team up with any one unless its to allow them to pick up a crate you just dropped that the snipe protection system will not let you access because they are standing too close.

Xanadu has its problems but if a hill giant came tearing thru your deed and destroyed everything, you would not be happy. So adding harder things to kill on current servers would not work well. 

Because hunting, as it is, is a skill learnt by the actual person behind the keyboard rather than your avatar. If you aren't any good at hunting, then you're going to have a hard time finding mobs to kill, and therefor your weapon skills will lack behind that of someone who knows what they are doing. As you get more experience hunting, you learn where mobs tend to spawn, conglomerate, and where other hunters commonly roam.

Now if you could just go to a server where there is an infinite amount of things to kill... the whole concept requires NO skill, no knowledge of the game, and zero effort. Which I'm pretty sure is why so many people are trying to defend it, you want to take the lazy route and not bother learning to actually be good at the game. Go afk and stand in one place for 5 days, 100 weaponskill done.

I fail to see how this entices people to stay with the game, especially on the PvP side, when I can blitz every single weaponskill to 95+ in a matter of weeks without even hopping servers. Probably without even being at my PC.

I think a LOT more people are going to be given interest in the game by being forced to explore other servers they don't normally reside on. Ever been out hunting and met someone really nice? :) Maybe not you, but I sure have. Made most of my in-game friends that way. A hunting server does not do this. You run into each other and steer well clear of each other since you probably don't want the other person close enough to steal your kills. Your point is invalid.

A Forest Giant can already spawn near/outside your deed and demolish a good portion of it. I'm not sure what your point is. No one bothers to kill the tough mobs like trolls, serpents, and crocs for anything other than butcher or missions, because of multiple reasons; The first being that few people bother to skill fighting on PvE so few are even capable of it, and the second being that the drops for these monsters SUCK. A serpent takes one or two people maybe 10 minutes to kill. I can get twice as much fighting skill from killing a single bear, and they drop absolutely nothing whatsoever otherwise that would make my time worthwhile.

Edited by whereami
  • Like 4

I don't think anyone's gonna be impressed by your half-page rant on how everyone's choice of gaming style sucks except yours.

But let's pander to the Twelve Doctrine-ers.

How 'bout anyone who's been on a PvP server has to wait a 30-day cooldown before being able to plot course to the hunting server? =P 

eh this just seems like one of those things that everyone will visit once to explore then never go again because it's more efficient to hunt easier mobs coz skillgain is based off damage dealt and you get heaps of fs off champs anyway. plenty of places that are absolutely packed with mobs you just gotta know where to look. meh idea but may as well add it because it effects me in no conceivable way

38 minutes ago, Mordraug said:

How 'bout anyone who's been on a PvP server has to wait a 30-day cooldown before being able to plot course to the hunting server? =P 

pvp'ers generally buy accs so i'm not sure what you expect that to do

5 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

eh this just seems like one of those things that everyone will visit once to explore then never go again because it's more efficient to hunt easier mobs coz skillgain is based off damage dealt and you get heaps of fs off champs anyway. plenty of places that are absolutely packed with mobs you just gotta know where to look. meh idea but may as well add it because it effects me in no conceivable way

pvp'ers generally buy accs so i'm not sure what you expect that to do

Another aspect of this though, rather than maximizing skill gain numbers while minimizing the amount of time necessary to get through as fast as possible... is simply a more challenging environment to test your mettle... to enjoy adventures with your friends... to form new epic tales you can laugh about later... etc.

There's also no reason this can't be a dynamic environment.  With no permanent structures, there is absolutely nothing to be lost if the devs want to mix it up.  First Valrei International of the month announces this month's map... or every 90 days, whatever.  Map creations could potentially work like WU servers, unless some technical difference forbids it.

In a sense, this isn't really that much unlike pvp.  The difference is, it's not remotely about domination of players.  It's not about taking away their loot or draining their deeds, or anything like that.

The similarity is in the camaraderie, the brothers and sisters in arms against nearly insurmountable odds.

There's no reason a pvp player couldn't join the fight and have fun along with everyone else.  This is not a threat to anyone's hegemony.  In fact, most pve players who enjoy this type of server will not suddenly develop the least bit of interest in anything related to pvp.  There's nothing to worry about in that regard.

If a pvp player uses this place to level up... as Oblivion pointed out, there's no difference in them just using the regular servers.  This doesn't change anything.

Lastly, if a pvp player is worried about people catching up to his skill and giving him a fight for his money... he shouldn't be a pvp player.  He hasn't got the minerals for it.

• Like 5

So not wanting people to have a free, easy way to AFK to 100 weaponskill/fightskill makes me a bad PvPer somehow? Do tell, I seek enlightenment great one.

I don't know about you, but I had to work for my skills, and I think it's only fair that others do too.

Edited by whereami

1 hour ago, whereami said:

So not wanting people to have a free, easy way to AFK to 100 weaponskill/fightskill makes me a bad PvPer somehow? Do tell, I seek enlightenment great one.

I don't know about you, but I had to work for my skills, and I think it's only fair that others do too.

I may be missing something here, but what is the difference between working hard hunting down hordes of mobs on the other servers where there is no particular threat above the average every day danger involved in such activities, verses heading to a hunting only server to do the same thing only on critters that make it tough even for experienced players/fighters, where death and loss of fight skill upon dying (and other skills as well as fate may have it,) is a very real risk?  I've seen nothing in the suggestions or conversation that even remotely hint at this server being a "free, easy way to AFK to 100 weaponskill/fight skill".  Quite the opposite.  The suggestion has been if you try to hunt semi afk on this server, your toast.   If this gets implemented and is easy, I'll be severely disappointed.

I seem to also recall in the conversation that one of the stipulations for this sort of server would be no special skill gain over similar hunting activities elsewhere.  Difference here would be harder baddies to deal with, critters you would only find on this server, a place where deves could experiment with new baddies or drop the occasional surprise on would be hunters, and no deeding or permanent structures allowed.

Not trying to be antagonistic Whereami.  Your obviously passionate in your dissent, I'm just honestly not understanding your objections to this idea clearly.

Humbly submitted...
~TH~

• Like 2

7 hours ago, whereami said:

not wanting people to have a free, easy way to AFK to 100 weaponskill/fightskill

I am personally hoping for a server where this is impossible as an option. In the way you don't AFK inside the rift, my thought is that the entire server is able to kill you the instant you stop actively monitoring it. 

On 11/1/2018 at 11:43 PM, Thalius said:

I may be missing something here, but what is the difference between working hard hunting down hordes of mobs on the other servers where there is no particular threat above the average every day danger involved in such activities, verses heading to a hunting only server to do the same thing only on critters that make it tough even for experienced players/fighters, where death and loss of fight skill upon dying (and other skills as well as fate may have it,) is a very real risk?  I've seen nothing in the suggestions or conversation that even remotely hint at this server being a "free, easy way to AFK to 100 weaponskill/fight skill".  Quite the opposite.  The suggestion has been if you try to hunt semi afk on this server, your toast.   If this gets implemented and is easy, I'll be severely disappointed.

I seem to also recall in the conversation that one of the stipulations for this sort of server would be no special skill gain over similar hunting activities elsewhere.  Difference here would be harder baddies to deal with, critters you would only find on this server, a place where deves could experiment with new baddies or drop the occasional surprise on would be hunters, and no deeding or permanent structures allowed.

Not trying to be antagonistic Whereami.  Your obviously passionate in your dissent, I'm just honestly not understanding your objections to this idea clearly.

Humbly submitted...
~TH~

Hunting now, requires you to be constantly on the move. Sometimes you exhaust an area or even on most of a server, and you simply need to move on, potentially to a new server. It gives reason to travel, and the potential to meet new people. But as you mentioned, it is of very little risk. Currently there's no single mob out there that can actually give an end-game player a good fight. I agree that this needs to change, though IMO it should be on all servers and not simply localized to one environment that isn't even very interesting... It's a blank/fresh map and no one's ever lived there. Wouldn't thrill me per-se.

If the skillgain or rewards did not scale and were no better than hunting on Exodus, why would anyone bother themselves with fighting something 5 times as strong? That was one of my points in my first post, that the rewards need to actually scale with the task at hand for it to be worthwhile.

You use Rifts as an example. Rifts are fairly easy in my opinion, but the main thing about them is that the rewards are pretty crap, and the skillgain from killing rift creatures is complete garbage. This is why on Chaos, the Rift usually doesn't get completed for entire months at a time.

If a majority of the creatures on the server were as tough as the rift creatures, perhaps I could see it being justifiable, but again the rewards need to scale with what I'm fighting. This is why I don't bother with scorps, trolls, & crocs when out hunting.. They are terribad for weapon skill, and extremely sub-par for FS.

I'm worried that the balance between difficulty and reward won't be met correctly. Mainly there is the possibility that, because there is a higher mob count, and likely a faster spawn frequency, one could AFK in an area they've cleared without too much trouble. Even if they were all as tough as Rift Jackals, it's unlikely that more than one or two of them would run into you at once if you clear a large enough area, I could easily see someone being able to AFK there. The only trouble is that upping the difficulty much further past that point almost forces team-play, and rules out the possibility of trying to go alone.

Oh I get it.. he's concerned about the top-heavy nature of PvP..... so his "logic" is that if more players have a place to level their combat skills faster, PvP will become TOO top heavy..... 

Or in simpler words:  Too many people able to hold their own in a fight.

Tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk.

mfw weapon skills and stance skills do absolutely jack compared to time invested to get above 50 yet that's what you decided to strawman. differnece between 50 wep skill and 95 is like .2 seconds swing timer and a little bit of parry rate lmfao

try re-reading his posts again and don't just jump to the first conclusion

Edited by Oblivionnreaver