Sign in to follow this  
MillenniumFalcon

Premium suggestions

22 hours ago, Hailene said:

Your example is quite funny. There are cellphone services out there where you pay by the minute. You can buy prepaid cellphone minute cards.

True but along with the minutes you buy, you also have to buy "service" time.  I use a pay as you go phone.  The company I use, I get to keep any minutes I buy and every 3 months I buy another 3 months of air time. But you have to be very careful with those systems. If the air time expires, you lose your phone number.  And at least one company I know of (but won't use for this reason), your minutes you buy only extend from the date bought and you don't keep unused minutes from the previous months.  

I have mixed feelings about this for Wurm.  I can't see a pay-by-the-minute thing working for Wurm unless they also sold "service time,"  like if they also had maybe a type of account where you paid a reduced "service time" and then bought minutes on top of that.    Seems to me it would be a big pain for CC, but I don't really know.  I know it seems to work well for the cell phone companies but they have huge accounting departments.  Just seems to me that if this was a good business model for online games,  the large game companies would be using it.

7 hours ago, Seriphina said:

If someone can't justify 16 euro per month on an account, they may simply need to consider investing in WU instead. 

Wurm Unlimited was a disaster for our community. It fragmented our meager population into a thousand shards. If I had the choice of someone logging in once a week on Wurm Online or playing Wurm Unlimited, I'd take him playing on Wurm Online every time.

Players are content. With fewer and fewer people playing on the WO servers, more people quit. It's a death spiral.

7 hours ago, Seriphina said:

Basically, you're saying that this game isn't worth 2 euros a week to play, which is exactly what the cost plays out to be.  You can barely get an enjoyable coffee that cheap these days.

Gotta do an apples to apples comparison. Is 16 euros that much in the grand scheme of things? Not really. I spent more on my dinner last night. But would I willingly shell out 16 euros for a game I might play 15 hours? Probably not. Not unless it was a constant roller coaster of enjoyment. And let's be honest, Wurm isn't exactly that.

2 hours ago, Amadee said:

True but along with the minutes you buy, you also have to buy "service" time.

Eh. The phone analogy isn't perfect, but the general idea that there are different kinds of subscriptions for phone services for different kinds of users. One size doesn't fit all.

There's an untapped reservoir of players that could up bulk up our player base and pay a bit more cash. All for essentially no additional effort by Code Club.

It's all about relative value.

16 euros is a pittence, I spend more on tea during a day of research.

However, 16 euros is a LOT compared to what the competition is offering, i.e. nothing.  That 16 euros for 2 months is going to have to deliver a LOT to compete with the competition; especially when 25.54 euros (today) buys you unlimited wurm access.

Wurm isn't expensive in an absolute sense, it is merely much more expensive than the competition.

The current WO premium offering is VERY expensive in terms of MMOs; not other premium MMOs (which are dying out), but ALL MMOs.

I would like a yet more flexible option at the token.

The 15 days premium for 5s has made it a lot easier for folks who only have a fortnight's holiday to play at a time.

I know I am not alone in wishing to see 3 days premium for 1s to cover a bank holiday / long weekend.

It seems penny pinching at first glance, but it could be a new lease of life for second characters which are currently sitting idle and not used because we can not justify the premium.

Couple of examples, a chef/botanising character and a Nahjo priest:

Your chef toon only really needs to come online to forage/botanise for some veggies and herbs and do a large batch of pizzas over the weekend - you don't need her for 15 days.

Your Nahjo priest only needs to spend a day or so casting a few tiles of Strongwall, and maybe Courier on a mailbox and some Genesis on your animals for a couple of days every month or so - again 15 days is unnecessary.

Probably both these toons are sitting idle and not used because their owners know that most of the 15 days would go to waste.

Thinking of coming back to Wurm? - Not sure? Use your old toon with full skills for 3 days over the bank holiday weekend to see if the old flame is rekindled.

I can see that some players would ONLY play 3 days at the weekend given the option - but that is by no means all of us - and it's so easy to 'add on' another 3 days at any time to cover a rift, a raid, a project or just to try something new.

We could even make it 2s for 3 days' premium, or 1s for 1 day's premium, but I would like to see a shorter term option than 15 days. 

What do you think?

• Like 1