Sign in to follow this  
MillenniumFalcon

Premium suggestions

I think the current premium system could use some changes. Here they are:

1. Make it so the premium time only ticks down when offline. This way, when a player's PC breaks down or something bad happens to a player themselves, they'll still be able to use premium time. Also, if someone has little free time, they'll be treated as fairly as those with lots of time.
  2. Maybe change the way stats are treated - instead of capping skills at 20 and stats at 30 when premium expires, make it so they slowly decay to that value as they're used, and then quickly increase towards the original amount when premium is restored.
  3. Another suggestion is making it so any skill-related abilities are retained when premium is lost - if a player has 35 masonry, for example, but then premium expires, they'll be able to build stone houses, but at a lower quality.

Feel free to express your opinion on my suggestions.

Number one is very interesting one, and I think I might like it a lot. I avoid paying with 2 players a lot except in some rare occasions because I have quite limited play time cuz of work, and always seems like a waste paying for second premium if I don't use it half of the time. Also sometimes it seems like quite a waste to prem main for 2 months and when I want a week or two break maybe. Not to mention that I don't pay year of premium because I want a break to play with other characters while main is not prem. Looks interesting on paper how it would be in practice not so sure, would it be better or worse than now can't say untill I try it. 

For other two, I can't say it look particular interesting or tempting to me...

Edited by kochinac
  • Like 1

Not really a fan of these suggestions, for some reason I feel like a younger person wrote it, who cannot pay for premium as well.

• Like 1

For 1. Having seperate "Hours playtime" and "Months" premium would be an interesting idea, but 672 hours/28 days of gametime for $10 is a bit much lol

non-prem skill caps could be loosened a bit but kind of hard to go about doing that without people abusing it for their alts

• Like 1

Make wurm free... Nowadays most MMOs are.

Edited by Sklo:D

The premium idea is reasonable. Different premiums for different players.

Currently we have premiums that are 2/6/12 months for 16/48/80 euros.

With that in mind, we could have a 60/180/450 hour premium for 16/48/80 euros.

I figure if you're playing more than an hour a day, you ought to be running the regular subscription.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

Here's a thought;

Multiply deed upkeep by 5; remove subscription.

I bet you'd see some hilarious 5x5x5x5 deeds that are a single building 16 stories high with that change

• Like 1

This topic again..really? what's 10 bucks now days..i'm from a poor country...but 10 bucks still mean nothing,maybe a pack of cigarettes or a coffee and a gum.

I'm even surprised that wurm still runs and we get all these awesome updates with the low player base that we have.

Making it free to play will mean more stuff in the shop, that will make it pay to win in some way like every other garbage out there.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jonydowy said:

This topic again..really? what's 10 bucks now days..i'm from a poor country...but 10 bucks still mean nothing,maybe a pack of cigarettes or a coffee and a gum.

I'm even surprised that wurm still runs and we get all these awesome updates with the low player base that we have.

Making it free to play will mean more stuff in the shop, that will make it pay to win in some way like every other garbage out there.

This

6 hours ago, Jonydowy said:

This topic again..really?

Different premiums for different players. I play probably 20-30 hours a week, easily. So for me the current premium scheme works just fine.

But others are different. Some only can play sporadically. Some just want to play infrequently. Some have the mentality of not wanting to "waste" a second. For whatever reason, a premium that's based strictly on played time is more appealing.

As long as the number of hours is within reason(I'd say about 25 cents an hour or so), then I think we'd all end up as winners. People who play regularly, like me, can continue to use the current premium system. People who only can or want to play infrequently and/or for short sessions can use the running clock premium.

It gives flexibility to players with different styles.

"But it's just 16 euros..."

Different people, different motivations. Some people like min/maxing, and the idea of "wasting" premium while they're busy on vacation, with school, work, etc. drives them up the wall. They'd rather not pay than "waste" their money. Some people really can only play maybe a few hours a week. Sometimes that happens.

Personally we can use every person we can get our hands on. Being a bit more flexible on premium options would be a step in the right direction.

• Like 1

As a 7 year Vet of WO i highly disagree with this post big -1 from me

Edited by antonslavick

11 hours ago, Hailene said:

Different premiums for different players. I play probably 20-30 hours a week, easily. So for me the current premium scheme works just fine.

But others are different. Some only can play sporadically. Some just want to play infrequently. Some have the mentality of not wanting to "waste" a second. For whatever reason, a premium that's based strictly on played time is more appealing.

As long as the number of hours is within reason(I'd say about 25 cents an hour or so), then I think we'd all end up as winners. People who play regularly, like me, can continue to use the current premium system. People who only can or want to play infrequently and/or for short sessions can use the running clock premium.

It gives flexibility to players with different styles.

"But it's just 16 euros..."

Different people, different motivations. Some people like min/maxing, and the idea of "wasting" premium while they're busy on vacation, with school, work, etc. drives them up the wall. They'd rather not pay than "waste" their money. Some people really can only play maybe a few hours a week. Sometimes that happens.

Personally we can use every person we can get our hands on. Being a bit more flexible on premium options would be a step in the right direction.

That makes no sense..I pay 10 bucks every month to recharge my sim card with 2000 national minutes but I use a total of 30minutes tops each month..should I go complain to them to give me 2000 minutes and have them till I use them all? You think of the poor guy playing 2 hours a weeks and he feels like he wastes his premium,but do you think of this game at all..it doesn't run on air.

2 hours ago, Jonydowy said:

That makes no sense..I pay 10 bucks every month to recharge my sim card with 2000 national minutes but I use a total of 30minutes tops each month..should I go complain to them to give me 2000 minutes and have them till I use them all?

Your example is quite funny. There are cellphone services out there where you pay by the minute. You can buy prepaid cellphone minute cards.

2 hours ago, Jonydowy said:

You think of the poor guy playing 2 hours a weeks and he feels like he wastes his premium,but do you think of this game at all..it doesn't run on air.

It doesn't run on air. That's why we need more people. Do you think the guy that plays 2 hours a week is going to buy premium? No. He's not going to pay 16 euros to play 16 hours. He's going to find another game to give his money to.

You guys don't understand that implementing a pay-as-you-go system doesn't take money from Wurm but actually includes new customers that wouldn't bother paying (and maybe more importantly playing!) Wurm because their life doesn't fit the current premium scheme.

Yeah, sure, it would be stupid if the price was too good and crowded out the regular premium options, but paying 25 cents an hour is only going to viable to people who play either irregularly or for very short sessions.

I want to stress that (as opposed to the OP's idea) that my suggestion is a supplement and not a replacement for the current premium. For more regular players like me, i would use the per month option. For casual/irregular players, they would then have the option to use the pay-as-you-play option. We'd be able to have more people playing.

Edited by Hailene
  • Like 1

To the OP: The Premium subscription model is how Wurm makes a good portion of its income. These changes that you listed do not contribute to "encouraging" players to remain Premium but rather do just the opposite by giving them less incentive to maintain Premium status with its benefits.

The only alternative I see as having some merit is as Hailene suggested by having an *option* available to pay for a set number of hours but even then this still reduces game income and perhaps significantly if many players see this as saving them more money than just paying per months as is currently available.

This is why I don't see any of these "reducing Premium cost" suggestions being implemented, as ultimately they all just reduce the game income potential which is what enables the game to survive and perhaps even prosper.

=Ayes=

22 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

I bet you'd see some hilarious 5x5x5x5 deeds that are a single building 16 stories high with that change

Please do not encourage the developers to implement four-dimensional deed sizing. It's hell on the art/client devs to render that.

If you want to be cheap you can play wurm for free, if you want free prem or pay by the minute you can have wurm unlimited, wurm online can not be treated like a parking meter.

-1 for dumb idea of the day

• Like 2

If cost is a consistent issue Wurm Unlimited offers a 1 time payment that seems to satisfy what you are asking for.

2n'd option to Op's #1 idea.

Other games back in the day used to use a fetcher called vacation mode. Basically one account got a one time vacation per year. For what ever reason, freezing the premium clock. This may work for wurm, Of course someone has to have  X amount of months of prepaid or paid premium time to qualify for this mode.  Lets say two weeks vacation mode. So lets say your PC breaks down . You'll have two weeks to get it fixed. It may not be much time, but at least it's an option.

8 hours ago, Ayes said:

The only alternative I see as having some merit is as Hailene suggested by having an *option* available to pay for a set number of hours but even then this still reduces game income and perhaps significantly if many players see this as saving them more money than just paying per months as is currently available.

I don't think it'd necessarily reduce income. I'd have to see statistics, but I doubt a ton of people are buying months of premium and almost never playing. I'm guessing there's two big groups of group: 1. Regulars that pay premium 2. People who don't bother to play because they don't play enough to "make premium worth it"...and then a minor group of crazies that play regularly but don't prem because they don't need prem to play the way they want (explorers and social players,mainly).

The first group wouldn't be affected by my premium suggested. It's more economical for them to pay with the current monthly subscription. The second isn't paying money (or even playing at all), which is a total loss for Wurm. But if we can lure them in with a subscription that matches their playstyle, we can rope in some more players and plump up the bottom line a bit.

Are there some borderline cases that might switch over? Maybe. But I think it'd be a net gain. We'd just have to make sure the pay-as-you-play premium is pretty niche.

Somewhere between 25-50 cents an hour would be about right, I think. Euro cents, of course.

3 hours ago, gorgian said:

Other games back in the day used to use a fetcher called vacation mode.

That'd be a nice option. Maybe you have to be premium (and not in vacation mode) for the last three months. Then you can take a minimum of 1 week to 1 month with your account locked (even from being logged in).

Once you've unfroze your account, the premium timer to be back in vacation mode would start ticking down again.

Edited by Hailene

10 hours ago, Hailene said:

Do you think the guy that plays 2 hours a week is going to buy premium? No. He's not going to pay 16 euros to play 16 hours

+1 to the 8 week work month!

25 minutes ago, armyskin said:

+1 to the 8 week work month! 

You know...16 euros buys you TWO months of premium.

Two months=~8 weeks.

2 hours a week=16 hours.

Math is hard.

If someone can't justify 16 euro per month on an account, they may simply need to consider investing in WU instead.  Then it's a single investment and play forever, and still enjoy the updates that are made to the game by the developers.

Basically, you're saying that this game isn't worth 2 euros a week to play, which is exactly what the cost plays out to be.  You can barely get an enjoyable coffee that cheap these days.

11 hours ago, Hailene said:

You know...16 euros buys you TWO months of premium.

Two months=~8 weeks.

2 hours a week=16 hours.

Math is hard.

thats why I buy 1 year at a time for the past 5 years so I dont have to math.