Sign in to follow this  
Muse

Archaeology 'Battle Masks' for horses (with pictures)

A family member suggested this to me and I thought the idea was good.

Battle Masks for horses

These could be frightening to opponents, with sharp points or horns, and offer some protection to the horse.

Unicorn Mask for a horse

Has a golden pointy horn, and probably does include the colour pink.

The above masks could be constructed from 10-20 metal or pottery archaeology armour fragments.  They would be put in the horse's head slot alongside any bridle.

Horse masks are called Shaffrons:

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/carreend/shaffrons-and-horse-masks/

Bamen Edo chanfronBaman (horse mask), attributed to Fukutake Ichiro (1928 - 2002) Japan, Showa period, 20th century Length: 24 1â2 inches, 62.5 cm Width: 15 3â4 inches, 40 cm An iron horse mask, bamen, in the form of a fierce dragonâs head, hammered in separate sections that are riveted together and with two side panels that are attached to the main mask with leather straps.

German Chamfron Late 16th CenturyShaffron in the "Oriental" fashion [Italian (probably Brescia)] (14.25.1664) | Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History | The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Edited by Muse
  • Like 9

Would be a nice addition but include it into armor smithing and not archaeology.

• Like 1

Why not make all statues craftable through normal means while at it, if horse masks should also go under armor smithing?  Not really though... I like that some things are only available through the archaeology mechanic.

I think it would be great to have more exotic items like this available through archaeology.  +1

• Like 1

Yet it's armor for your horse, that will be used in PvP most likely, so crafting it is the way to go.

17 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

id like to see some use from archeology other than decoration

I find the runes you can get on the tools plenty useful, especially when you get multiple runes on one item. My shovel has 3 "10% effects" of runes on it. But I get the sentiment that the actual usefulness of archaeology is locked behind higher skills currently, some exclusive, but overall inconsequential items that can be found on lower levels probably wouldn't hurt.

• Like 1

For a tooon who is not a jack of all trades but has high restoration nice tools can result from combine..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gladiator said:

id like to see some use from archeology other than decoration

You want to make Archaeology truly valuable: create a means by which knowledge can be gained through archaeology that unlocks the ability to craft/forge the items that can otherwise only be obtained through archaeology.

Edited by Thalius
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Thalius said:

You want to make Archaeology truly valuable: create a means by which knowledge can be gained through archaeology that unlocks the ability to craft/forge the items that can otherwise only be obtained through archaeology.

By crafting recepies? Has never existed in Wurm before and I don't see why it should now.

It will also be fun and engaging in the beginning then people will start giving it away freely and it will lose it's purpose.

1 hour ago, Sn00 said:

By crafting recepies? Has never existed in Wurm before and I don't see why it should now.

It will also be fun and engaging in the beginning then people will start giving it away freely and it will lose it's purpose.

I did not say crafting recipies at all.  I said learning knowledge that allows you to unlock the ability to craft/forge new items.  Archaeologists could find items as they do now and give away or sell them, but they could also over time by discovering certain knowledge learn to craft the items themselves.  They could give away or sell them and they could be improved upon by others, but the secret to the crafting of the item would lie with the one that had acquired the knowledge.

Thanks for the likes everyone.

Added some pictures and a reference link. 

38 minutes ago, armyskin said:

+1 to dressing my horse up as a moose.

We need real mooses!

• Like 1