Sign in to follow this  
Cymmy

A new use for rock shards

I have a suggestion. I am a terraformer. I spend most of my time doing large projects that involve digging and surface mining. No matter how much dirt I dig up I am always happy to see nice big piles of it as I know it will be put to good use. Even if I didn't need it I know that other people could use it. Damaged? Not a problem, still can be put to use. I have even had dirt stolen from me. It is a good and valuable resource.
Now let's talk about rock shards, dirt's unwanted stepsister :P. I do a lot of surface mining. I end up with piles of rock shards. I go through and pick all the high-quality shards, throw them in bsbs and think someday I will make bricks from them. The rest sit and rot while they get in the way. How many have made a mine only to have piles of rock shards there, too low of quality to be of any use. I hate to see a perfectly good resource go to waste. So here is my suggestion. Please let us make rocks into gravel that can be used as fill just like dirt. Then instead of being worthless, they also can be a valuable resource. I can't tell you how many times I have wished this could be so when I am up on the side of some mountain with piles of rocks around me that will go to waste when I wish I could throw them in the hole I am trying to fill.

• Like 7

While this was opposed may times, I will +1 the idea. Problem is that from one rock tile we get 50 shards, this is enough to raise a tile by 50 dirt (assuming 1/1 ratio). I would love to see this in game anyway, terraforming is one of my favourite things in Wurm and raising terrain is a pain even with levelling.

Due to the fact that dirt is selling ridiculous cheap at 50c per thousand right now, I'm going to have to -1 this.   I also think rock shards are plenty useful, just not in your specific case because you only terraform and never build.

+1. Rocks to gravel makes sense (maybe after pounding the shards with a maul, or something).

54 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

Due to the fact that dirt is selling ridiculous cheap at 50c per thousand right now, I'm going to have to -1 this.   I also think rock shards are plenty useful, just not in your specific case because you only terraform and never build.

Yes, high ql shards are useful but even after I haul all those to their bsbs there are piles left over that are low ql. It's not the I NEED gravel. I can dig circles around most people and have dirt running out of my ears. I just think it makes sense, is a simple change and a lot of people who terraform would find this useful. (and I do build :p)

This is actually a nice idea, instead of letting it litter the servers down with crap data it could be made more useful, i'll +1 this idea. And as a fellow terraformer it would be awesome to have more filling mats

If it is considered to be too much resources to further down the dirt market prices it could be scaled down needing a few shards to be crumbled to count as a filler for a slope.

4 minutes ago, Jaz said:

If it is considered to be too much resources to further down the dirt market prices it could be scaled down needing a few shards to be crumbled to count as a filler for a slope.

I don't see it taking over the dirt market in any way since it would require a second action to make it into gravel. If you are wanting to sell something, it is easier to just dig dirt.

This was asked about while but to be used for lvling mine floors ..

I don't see why it cant be used as a filler same as dirt ..

If someone wishes to sell dirt at 50 c per 1k that's up to them , I do not think someone will dig that  much to sell at such a cheep price ...

• Like 1

+1 great idea - anything to reduce the waste  and litter in Wurm would be welcome.

While this sounds like a good idea no outline was provided as to how this would actually work. One thing I would bet on is that "grinding" rock shards into a "gravel filler" item would take some amount of time. This time investment might then make the process not worth doing. Then you would also need some application process to use it that might not be so simple as dropping dirt in comparison.

We do have a *discard* option though which serves the purpose of getting rid of them quickly if they are taking up too much space for a while. Wasteful though I suppose...

=Ayes=

Just a wild idea - mixing the gravel filler with concrete could allow us to exceed the 40 slope cap of raising rock tile corners. Maybe scaled by filler ql?

Should definitely consider PVP implications too - though nowadays with the super easy surface mining it is less a concern than years ago.

• Like 1

Jaz is onto something.  A craftable "upgrade" to concrete.  Requires even more nat subs to make (higher difficulty) than concrete, but when concrete is mixed with gravel, provides a substance that can be used to raise up to 90 slope.

I kind of like the idea,  but why not just make it sand with a ratio 4/1 (rock shards / sand). Still faster to dig, but yet gives a new use to rock shards.

And this could fall under milling skill.

Edited by gorgian