Sign in to follow this  
Griffith

connect by IP

when i press connect by IP nothing happens. no pop up or anything

Is there a chance the Connect By IP window could have gotten pushed off the screen at some point?

When I experimented trying to find ways this could happen, I noticed the window would stay whereever pushed the next time it opened, including if it was pushed "mostly" offscreen (I didn;t want to test further till i found a way to reset the window poisition). If it was pushed all the way off the screen, it would seem like "nothing happened" when you clicked the button.

Did you recently change monitor resolutions or anything?   

Do you happen to have dual monitors? (or used in the past)

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

If you think this could be your issue, I tested some suggestions on google, and this one seemed to work for me with the CONNECT BY IP window being "offscreen" or otherwise not in a visible area:

This lets you move the window left and right (and up and down) easily.
  1. Focus a window.        <<-- in your case, toggle Connect By Ip' button on even though you can;t see it
  2. Press Alt + Space .
  3. Press M (for “Move”).
  4. Use the arrow keys to move the window exactly where you want it.
  5. Press Enter when done.

dual monitors but nowhere to be seen. when i follow your instruction the server list window jumps but theres no popup window to connect to ip anywhere in either window. :(

i dont think its off screen, it doesnt show anywhere at all, its not doing anything when i hit the ip connect button.

Thanks for trying to help me.

ive also tried it without another instance running, this is just to show the pop up doesnt exist.

2hofh9c.jpg

I am told some programs run on dual monitors or 4k have issues with certain elements appearing properly unless they first  disable display scaling on high DPI settings

maybe, I don't really understand what you're trying to do. but if the goal is to connect not by dns name, but by ip-address, there can be a workaround by windows means. you can add a line in hosts. file, like 'server ip' and system will not query dns-server, it will use static ip from your hosts. file. and connecting in a normal way, like pressing "play" in fact will connect you directly by ip.

sorry, if I misunderstood the problem.

I think it is different for WU and WO.   WU does not use DNS lookup, it gets an ip address from the steam server, so you would not need to edit HOSTS file like some used to to connect to WO when their DNS connections were borked.

I think I read some offline dedicated standalone servers needed to be woke by "connect to ip" with the client (I am unclear on this, it was mentioned in these 2016 patch notes but that may be out of date now)

there is probably a launcher config you can add to steam here

D8NTeOL.png

I don;t know the specific phrasing to use, maybe someone else here who is more 'network savvy" does

Looking at other games that use this parameter, it might be something like +connect 198.46.212.10:17020

(insert your own ip/port)

that didt work. anyways im giving up on this. thanks for trying to help

I am having same problem on a 4k monitor. Will try changing resolution etc

Didn't work.

Edited by Nappy