Sign in to follow this  
Malena

Change how archeology fragments are listed

Over the past days I've been doing a lot of archeology and I'm losing my mind guys. 

When sorting inventory by "name", things are naturally listed in alphabetical order. However the order of the fragment string causes a huge usability issue:

Right now it's "Ordered by Amount"

[title of fragment] - [amount] - [material]

This means that the very things you are supposed to combine (say in this case copper fragments) need to be hunted from several different sections of the list. 

I suggest that the order be changed t "Ordered by material type"

[title of fragment] - [material] - [amount]

ArtifactOrder.jpg

• Like 15

Your proposed order seems to make more sense. +1

• Like 1

This is something we have looked at, it's not as easy as it seems though, as it's the client that handles the material type showing. definitely agree it makes sorting through things easier, so we'll see what can be done! 

• Like 6

Thanks for the response Retro. Yeah I guessed that might be the case, that there might be some global system with how these strings are created in Wurm and that naturally fragments would follow whatever that system already was. If I'm right about it being a global change, I'm wondering if switching the order would only be a good thing in other parts of the game as well though?

Just wanted to add, that at first glance, this seems like a minor thing - however there are two things that make this more important when you really start to dig into archeology in a big way:

1) The fact that visually, staring at a long list of archeology fragments is already disorientating as you try to decypher what is what

2) The fact that sorting them by number starts to become a real pain once there starts to be several sets of combined fragments. In the example above, we're only talking about a couple of clumps, but imagine for instance clumps of combined fragments numbered like this:

1/90

12/90

24/90

39/90

46/90

55/90

etc

Now imagine all of these combined "clumps" scattered in amongst other numbered clumps and trying to find them when you want to combine them together. AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGHHHH! ? 

Can't say it have bothered me .. but for the image effort +10(also for suggestion)

• Like 1

+1

It would be nice if the naming system could be changed as per Malena's suggestion, this would look best. 

Failing that, if we could just ignore or 'hold back until the end' any numbers in square brackets during the alphabetical sort algorithm, then the naming system would not need to be changed, and the metal types would be grouped together in the required way.

In WU i made a client mod that changed the grouping of fragments so it doesn't include the counts, eg.

unknown.png

The change if implemented in vanila would be exactly 2 lines of code and makes looking at piles of fragments 10x more healthy for your sanity :P

• Like 4