Sign in to follow this  
steingrimur

Archaeology Help

Hi, I'm leveling archaeology and currently have 65 arch and 74 restoration and skill gain has dropped considerably. Does anyone have any advice tips as I have tried using opposite tools and using up the stamina bar, but my skill gains seem worse. I have coc tools at low ql and using sleep bonus. The best way I have found to raise archaeology is high ql trowel and searching old deeds, but still very slow at 65 skill, if there is a better way or I am missing something help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for you time.

I have learnt that it's not only about the old deeds, but also how long were they active and how long time ago those deeds dropped. So try to find some areas where very long time ago but also very long lasting deeds used to stand. I have archaeology skill currently at 76 and I still get rather good skill gain with a bit over 100 fragments per 0,5 skill level. I search on areas that fill these certain specifications, which I listed earlier. Good luck finding them. :) 

I'm at 89 archaeology and 84 restoration. 

You don't want to use skiller tools to gather fragments, and I personally tried a 103coc 90ql shovel with less skillgain than an 83coc 90ql trowel.  Use the best trowel you can find, best coc you can get on it (rare trowel is nice but only in that it takes damage more slowly and loses less ql when repaired, it does not affect fragments in any way I've been able to tell.)   

For restoration, I used a 30ql 99coc chisel exclusively up to around 75 restoration, and only switched to 90ql chisel and brush using correct tools out of greed toward the resulting fragments and items made from them.  If you don't care much about material type, runes or enchants (which honestly it doesn't matter much until much higher) then the chisel would still be best skillgain.

Now that I'm up in the mid 80s for restoration, it seems harder to get decent ticks from difficulty, though it's still relatively steady with low ticks.  However, if you save up your weapon/tool heads and whole weapon/tool fragments, as well as armor fragments til you have several to combine, work your stamina down to around 50%, keep climb on once you've reached that and turn on sleep bonus while you're combining them.  I've found that both the arch and resto ticks are quite nice during that time.

At around high 87-88 in archaeology, I started getting some alloy fragments, only in the weapon category thus far (so the whole fragments, i.e. longsword fragment vs longsword blade fragment)  I also noticed that combining those (can only be combined with other alloy fragments) can be quite difficult with many more fails to combine, and excellent skillgain from both fails and successes, also good time to have low stam and sb on.

If you're interested in what types of fragments go where, I've put together a pastebin of everything I've found in which category, though it is not sorted by 'skill levels' so some won't be available til you reach the 'unlock' for it.

https://pastebin.com/8Lj1M4GC

• Like 1

I'm at around 74 in both arch and restoration. I'm using a good ql high coc trowel to find the fragments, I have a 15-20ql chisel and brush to clean them (I use the correct tools, skillgain is still acceptable with them but expect you won't get any fancy spells/enchants on the end products). Usually I process batches of 3-400 fragments, saving all the gragments except the trash (ore, lump, stonebrick tc etc).

Best skillgain at this level seems combining the fragments (except trash fragments which give almost no skill).

So my findings are very much in line with Lisabet.

Do the grind when missions are up for valrei items - you will get "free" sleep bonus and awesome deed bonus increase on rarity window and casting.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. When you use incorrect tools what is the advantage? I know it increases the difficulty, which I thought would increase skill gain for the appropriate level.

incorrect tools for restoration does add difficulty and thus skill gain (especially for non junk fragments) at the cost of some enchants/runes/better material type

A little off topic question: I'm 75+ both archeology and restoration and I have yet to find a mask fragment. Are they near impossible to find in general, or do they just require really high skill?

I checked my logs and my first mask fragment was after 75 archaeology.  They're not terribly common at first, and best found in areas with signs of multiple deeds.  As your skill gets higher, you'll find them to be more common.

My first mask fragment came at 75 arch skill (using a 80+ql trowel)  - on a spot where 3-4 old deeds overlapped. I get 1-2 fragments per 3-400 batches usually.

Edited by Jaz