Sign in to follow this  
joedobo

Minimum farm tiles to support a 90ql hive?

First of all, can a hive with a single queen die? I looked in WU code and I don't see where a hive like this would have it's only queen removed. I do reference WU code here but I want to know in regards to WO.

Please don't read into the question things that aren't there. Assume there is no other food available and I want to plant the least number of farm tiles to keep it alive.

Here is what I got so far and I put it in a spoiler because its long. It has cut/copies form WU code and my comments. Am I on the right track with this? Yes, the consumption section is unfinished.

Spoiler

'''
public static boolean isSeasonWinter() {
    final int starfallWeek = getStarfallWeek();
    return starfallWeek >= 46 || starfallWeek < 2;
}
'''
honey production is blocked during these 4 weeks but I'm going to ignore it.

from checkHoneyProduction():
'''
if (Server.rand.nextInt(3) == 0) {
                final Item honey2 = addHoney(tilex, tiley, hive, type, data, theTile);
'''
a tile is on average checked once per a day and it has a 1 in 3 chance to check honey production.

from addHoney():
'''
nectarProduced = 0.0f;
switch (FieldData.getAge(data)) {
    case 0: {
        nectarProduced += 0.0f;
        break;
    }
    case 1: {
        nectarProduced += 4.0f;
        break;
    }
    case 2: {
        nectarProduced += 10.0f;
        break;
    }
    case 3: {
        nectarProduced += 15.0f;
        break;
    }
    case 4: {
        nectarProduced += 17.0f;
        break;
    }
    case 5: {
        nectarProduced += 8.0f;
        break;
    }
    case 6: {
        nectarProduced += 6.0f;
        break;
    }
    case 7: {
        nectarProduced += 0.0f;
        break;
    }
}
'''
About one day per a field tile age, thus on average for a week: 8.571428571428571 or 8 4/7

'''
if (starfall < 1) {
    nectarProduced *= 0.1f;  x1

//STARFALL_DIAMONDS = 0;
}
else if (starfall < 4) {
    nectarProduced *= 1.5f;  x3

//STARFALL_SAW = 1;
    //STARFALL_DIGGING = 2;
    //STARFALL_LEAF = 3;
}
else if (starfall < 9) {
    nectarProduced *= 1.1f; x5

//STARFALL_BEAR = 4;
    //STARFALL_SNAKE = 5;
    //STARFALL_SHARK = 6;
    //STARFALL_FIRES = 7;
    //STARFALL_RAVEN = 8;
}
else {
    nectarProduced *= 0.7f; x3

//STARFALL_DANCERS = 9;
    //STARFALL_OMENS = 10;
    //STARFALL_SILENCE = 11;
}
'''
averaged out for the whole year to multiplier of 1 1/60.

'''
final Item honey = hive.getHoney();
if (nectarProduced < 5.0f) {
    return honey;
}
'''
8 4/7 * 1 1/60 = 8 5/7 which is greater then 5.

'''
int newHoneyWeight;
final int addedHoneyWeight = newHoneyWeight = (int)nectarProduced - 4;
'''
Honey added per a tile when it's check is on average 4 5/7 g
4 5/7 g x 1/3 chance to check the tile is 1 4/7 g of honey per a tile on average overall.

CONSUMPTION
form checkHoneyProduction()
every time a tile within a hive's zone is checked there is a 1/5 chance 10g of honey is eaten.

I have 4 hives on my deed in WO that I don't really pay any attention to anymore. I have never had any queens die and a few even have 2 queens in them. They are not really spaced for optimum production but just visual appeal, so in those terms I think they are really too close together. They are along the road with trees and shrubs around them not planted with bee hives in mind. I have never had any queens die and the only thing that comes to mind is that if someone empties the hives of all honey during the winter that then the queen might die. With that in mind when I used to actively harvest from the hives I would just put some beet sugar inside during the winter if I had taken all the honey out of them. Now since I don't even remove the honey there is no problem with my neglectful ways in respect to queen survival.

=Ayes=

So if there is a 1/5 chance to consume 10g of honey every time the tile poller checks a tile in the hives' zone then that is on average 2g honey consumed per a tile polling. That part seems clear. The generation part has got to be wrong because it arrived at about 1.5g per a tile per a polling. That is less then consumption. I know from experience that hives in farm fields, where they have nothing but farm tiles to collect nectar, operator at a hony surpluss. I think the error is in how the crop poller isn't perfectly synchronized with the tile poller and crop stages 5 and 6 should have more weighting then the others since there a 2/3 chance that a crop stays at those stages.

I'll go with a 3x3 area of crops to support the hives for when I'm not farming a field. I wish I had more control over grass spread and tree sprouting. If I did I'd plant a grass tile with flowers under the hive.

Is there code that process grass, flowers, trees? This seems to be just part for farming tiles if I am not mistaken? I'm curious what's best for maximum honey production, which tiles? Also from some other post about tips and tricks, I read that you should keep 90ql hives at 22 tiles distance for optimum. Found any evidence that ql of hive affects gain?

Also curious is there any evidence that hives helps farming, like with increasing harvest gain?

Kochinac,  Keep in mind WO won't let you use WU code mined data for the wiki.

* There is separate code sections in WU , TilePoller.addhoney(), that applies different effects for grass, trees/bushes, enchanted tiles, farm tiles, steppe..might be others.

* My farming no-rake-yield is 6. I don't rake as it's not efficient for yield, make a bigger farm don't rake more. For the tiles within a hive zone they get up to a +4 yield.

* Best for honey production would be white dotted flowers planted on every tile that is within a hive's zone. From WU code in TilePoller.addhoney(). The more scares a flower is the greater it multiplies nectar production. 

* If hive zones overlap all the overlapping tiles will only help the higher quality hive. You can see the distances by watching the event messages in game. No evidence here and it's just what I remember from WU code.

* wax is made when nectar produced (nectar isn't honey, it's some internal concept in the code. It's probably trying to replicate nectar in RL.) is greater then 10g and a 1/40 RNG roll is successful. Not much to do here to increase this other than make sure the hive zone has things that surpass the threshold.

* higher quality hives have a larger zone of collection. I don't' see anything that would further improve honey production beyond more tiles. source WU code.

shoot, my 3x3 isn't going to work. The dirt tiles in a hive zone would also eat up that 2g of honey in the hive zone. I'm guessing something like 80 or 90% of the tiles need to be honey producing to get a net gain. For a 90ql hive that a lot of farm tiles and work just to maintain the thing. I might plant some steppe in the farm instead.