Sign in to follow this  
Batta

No sound

About 1 in 3 times I log in to any server, I don't have any sound. Sometimes I'll log in multiple times and not get sound. But then I log in again and all is as it should be, without my changing anything. 

Sometimes a Steam reboot helps, but often it doesn't. Can anyone help me fix this?  Here's the lines from my log:

Spoiler

[05:48:51 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.console: Setting up OpenAL Sound Engine
[05:48:51 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.console: org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Could not locate OpenAL library.
[05:48:51 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.console:     at org.lwjgl.openal.AL.create(AL.java:151)
[05:48:51 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.console:     at org.lwjgl.openal.AL.create(AL.java:102)
[05:48:51 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.console:     at org.lwjgl.openal.AL.create(AL.java:201)
[05:48:51 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.console:     at com.wurmonline.client.sound.al.AlSoundEngine.<init>(AlSoundEngine.java:79)
[05:48:51 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.console:     at com.wurmonline.client.sound.SoundEngine.createSoundEngine(SoundEngine.java:576)
[05:48:51 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.console:     at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClientBase.runGame(WurmClientBase.java:233)
[05:48:51 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.console:     at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClientBase.run(WurmClientBase.java:1597)
[05:48:51 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.console:     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
[05:48:51 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.console: com.wurmonline.client.sound.SoundException: Failed to initialize sound: org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Could not locate OpenAL library.
[05:48:51 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.console:     at com.wurmonline.client.sound.al.AlSoundEngine.<init>(AlSoundEngine.java:85)
[05:48:51 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.console:     at com.wurmonline.client.sound.SoundEngine.createSoundEngine(SoundEngine.java:576)
[05:48:51 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.console:     at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClientBase.runGame(WurmClientBase.java:233)
[05:48:51 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.console:     at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClientBase.run(WurmClientBase.java:1597)
[05:48:51 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.console:     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
[05:48:51 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.console: Failed to start sound engine, using silent

Sometimes wurm is really finicky about hardware acceleration vs software, try switching that in options (to whatever one it is NOT on)

I think switching mine to SOFTWARE was what finally fixed mine

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

18 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Sometimes wurm is really finicky about hardware acceleration vs software, try switching that in options (to whatever one it is NOT on)

I think switching mine to SOFTWARE was what finally fixed mine

Thanks very much. It is working so far.  ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Superinis7 said:

I had a same problem.

Did switching the setting to Software work for you?  For me, it did stop the problem with no sound, but the sound quality was so bad that I ended up going back to Hardware setting. With the Software setting, I could no longer hear any footsteps, and many other sounds were difficult to make out despite my sound settings. 

So, I'm back to the same problem as before.

On 9/26/2018 at 9:54 PM, Batta said:

About 1 in 3 times I log in to any server, I don't have any sound. Sometimes I'll log in multiple times and not get sound. But then I log in again and all is as it should be, without my changing anything. 

Sometimes a Steam reboot helps, but often it doesn't. Can anyone help me fix this?  Here's the lines from my log:

Hide contents

[05:48:51 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.console: Setting up OpenAL Sound Engine
[05:48:51 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.console: org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Could not locate OpenAL library.
[05:48:51 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.console:     at org.lwjgl.openal.AL.create(AL.java:151)
[05:48:51 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.console:     at org.lwjgl.openal.AL.create(AL.java:102)
[05:48:51 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.console:     at org.lwjgl.openal.AL.create(AL.java:201)
[05:48:51 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.console:     at com.wurmonline.client.sound.al.AlSoundEngine.<init>(AlSoundEngine.java:79)
[05:48:51 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.console: com.wurmonline.client.sound.SoundException: Failed to initialize sound: org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Could not locate OpenAL library.
[05:48:51 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.console:     at com.wurmonline.client.sound.al.AlSoundEngine.<init>(AlSoundEngine.java:85)
[05:48:51 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.console: Failed to start sound engine, using silent

Thank you Batta.

Your log file made think about the problem that I had too.

I went to the google searching for OpenAl, I downloaded the Windows Installer and installed the library.

It solved the problem of start without sound. ;)

52 minutes ago, Trustvainer said:

I went to the google searching for OpenAl, I downloaded the Windows Installer and installed the library.

It solved the problem of start without sound. ;)

I can't imagine how OpenAI is related to Wurm sound.  Maybe there is more than one thing called OpenAI?

Edited by Batta

23 minutes ago, Batta said:

I can't imagine how OpenAI is related to Wurm sound.  Maybe there is more than one thing called OpenAI?

There is, it's OpenAL (site).  Lower case Ls just look like I.  Confuses things.  ^_^

• Like 2