li3mRsy.png

They wait - Shmeric

Greetings wurmians! 
It’s been a slow news fortnight as we’ve been busy working on a few big projects, I’m excited to tell you more about them but unfortunately they’re not at that point yet, so this week we’ll touch a bit more on priest stuff as well as some client works. Saroman won’t let me show what he’s been working on sadly, I’m quite grumpy.

But first… 

Spoiler

PatchNotes.png

Changes and Additions:

• New:  Hell Horses and Unicorns will now give birth to foals, similar to horses.
  • Change:  You can no longer see your % chance to pick a door or fence gate if your greater than one tile away.
  • Change:  Dirt in inventory can now be discarded the same way as logs and shards.
  • Change:  You can now plant / secure the Puzzle King’s crystal ball.
  • Change: Glimmersteel runes of Fo, Magranon, and Jackal as well as the Silver rune of Fo have been changed from 10%, 5%, 5%, and 5% increase to skill bonus respectively to 10% and 5% of the difference between your current skill and 100 as a direct bonuses to effective skill when determining action success.
    • Note: This does not mean items and resources are created at a higher than your skill cap, but will improve success chances for that action.
    • TL;DR : Glimmersteel Fo/Jackal runes will now increase skill calculations for success chances.
  • Change: The quality reduction upon smelting has been scaled down and adjusted:
    • Smelted lump is capped by pot ql.
    • Items that cannot be improved and are not capped by the 20% of total skill when created will now receive a ql penalty when smelted
      • -7.5% to -2.5% for common metals,
      • -12.5% to -7.5% for moon metals and alloys.
    • Items that can be improved will no longer receive the penalty when smelted.

Bug fixes:

• Bugfix:  Rose seedlings have been removed from the mission item list.
  • Bugfix:  Various text, spelling and grammar fixes.
  • Bugfix: The ‘Take Portion’ option should only display when a cooking utensil knife is activated.
  • Bugfix:  Worg statue can now be improved.
  • Bugfix:  Crafted lunchboxes will once again be tin instead of lead.
  • Bugfix:  Added second title to the /title command output.
  • Bugfix:  Lock type will be checked when replacing locks on vehicles and items.
  • Bugfix:  War Machines will no longer decrease village / player rep if the creature hit is the one firing.
  • Bugfix:  You can no longer use your body parts, inventory, or an inventory group to desecrate an altar.
  • Bugfix: Creature cages can now be turned.
  • Bugfix:  Locate Soul no longer takes power off the item when located from outside the max distance.
  • Bugfix: Runes when used on one’s self or another creature will now properly broadcast the action to other players.
  • Clientfix: Fixed specular lighting calculations

Graphics:

• The following creatures received normal and specular maps: Dog, Deer, Stag, Seal, Sheep, Spider, Pig, Brown Bear, Black Bear, Calf, Crab, Dolphin, Wild Cat, Bison, Bull, Cavebug, Shark, Lavafiend, Goblin, Lavaspider, Anaconda, Crocodile, Forest Giant, Rat, Scorpion, Tortoise, Goblin Leader, Hell Scorpion, Cobra King, Mountain Lion, Dragons and Drakes, Kyklops, Troll
  • Fixed giant foals

Priest stuff
Priest testing has been opened to the wurm team and we’ve had a bit of discussion about many features. We’ll be working towards opening it for public testing once we’re aware of the major bugs (and fixed them hopefully) and such, then you’ll be able to test to your heart's content! 

We’ve added a few features to help with testing, such as the ability to set your own faith and favour, as well as spawn statuettes and  vesseled gems via the test menu. We’ve also added a feature that outputs spell power for testing purposes, which is really cool and will help with feedback too! We’ll continue to check out helpful suggestions with ideas to do with priests and improvements, so keep up the good work.

We expect this to open to public testing either this weekend or next week, we want to make sure we can help as much as we can with scenarios, so we’ll include information on how to grab a GM if needed!

Client improvements

2ILGwcs.jpg

10,000 large amphorae in the desert, 10,000 large amphorae in the desert, you take one down, kick it around, still 10,000 large amphorae in the desert.

No, this isn't my backyard, this is our client developer, Samool’s testing ground. One improvement to the client will be how it renders multiples of the same object. Currently if you had all 10,000 of these large pottery amphorae there they’d be rendered individually and slow your system to a halt, but here? The game draws the item once, and simply copies it around, meaning amazing performance improvements in areas with a lot of the same objects. 

Now, if you had 10,000 different objects there’d still be the problem, but we’re continuing to work on extra features to improve performance, make sure you check out the modern renderer and the preview client! 

Community content

This weeks community content is a huge shoutout to Valrei Entertainment Network member, Bloodydrongo, who has hit over 500 followers! We’ll be thinking of a few ways to help him celebrate, so keep an eye out for his news! His love of wurm, discussion, and drinking from a shoe has all found us something to connect with him (except drinking from a shoe, that's on him) 

Check out his stream here:

https://www.twitch.tv/bloodydrongo

That’s it for us this week, short and sweet, just like me, right? We’ll be back snappier than a rubber band on a bunny next fortnight with hopefully some more news, including progress on the priest testing and plans for live launch! Until then though, keep on Wurming!

Retrograde & the Wurm team.  

• Like 11

10,000 large amphorae in the desert, 10,000 large amphorae in the desert, you take one down, kick it around, still 10,000 large amphorae in the desert.

one MILLION???

Would you dare? :)

--edit

Curious about 10,000 flames in local, lets go big ?

Edited by Finnn

There is no content in this VI. Seems a bit anemic :(

Good job with Saroman doing God's work!

well..this kind of makes want to build 10,000 charcoal piles, how would that look!! hahaha

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The game draws the item once, and simply copies it around

If they have different dye's applied, do those get treated as different objects?

3 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

If they have different dye's applied, do those get treated as different objects?

No, the system will still kick in and work fine for different dye or wood types.

• Like 4

Amphora #6892 is slightly out of alignment and is triggering my OCD. 

Great work though, thanks for the update. 

• Like 1

im trying to count, it doesn't look like 10,000, i'll get back to you

2 hours ago, Trake said:

Amphora #6892 is slightly out of alignment and is triggering my OCD.  

Great work though, thanks for the update.  

I took another look and you are right, now that I see it I can't unsee it.  But it's #6893, you missed the count.  (Now Trake will spend the next hour recounting over and over, hee hee hee!)

7 hours ago, Jonydowy said:

well..this kind of makes want to build 10,000 charcoal piles, how would that look!! hahaha

Not again! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

There is no content in this VI. Seems a bit anemic :(

Shh, there's big things coming, I just can't share them yet because the devs are meanies

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Graphics:

• Fixed giant foals

Lots of good news, and great tests with the performance thing! It will be SUPER interesting to see how that goes ahead! 

And can I just say that the giant foal fix is my favorite part of all!? Yay! Adorable little baby foals again!

I get up early on the day of news release, only to find it was posted 20 hours ago.  Just evil. 

Well, I am sure looking forward to the priest update.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Shh, there's big things coming, I just can't share them yet because the devs are meanies

Where da pitchforks at? I think we have some saved since last time.

18 hours ago, Mclavin said:

im trying to count, it doesn't look like 10,000, i'll get back to you

its a square with 100x100 amphoras, i just counted it

• Like 3

given that the terrain in the picture visibly has sloping areas, it would have been more impressive to have the 10k amphorae follow the terrain yet keep the square instead of looking impossibly flat :P

*edit* actually, looking at it again I realize the entire 10k amphorae are floating  a good distance off the ground anyway

Edited by Lisabet

yes, samool isn't insane enough to place 10,000 amphorae on the ground

This teasing of "big projects, but we wont tell you about them" is not ok!

Not ok I say!

• Like 1

On 9/26/2018 at 7:13 PM, Retrograde said:

No, this isn't my backyard, this is our client developer, Samool’s testing ground. One improvement to the client will be how it renders multiples of the same object. Currently if you had all 10,000 of these large pottery amphorae there they’d be rendered individually and slow your system to a halt, but here? The game draws the item once, and simply copies it around, meaning amazing performance improvements in areas with a lot of the same objects. 

Now, if you had 10,000 different objects there’d still be the problem, but we’re continuing to work on extra features to improve performance, make sure you check out the modern renderer and the preview client! 

If the same will go for gates and fences?

Heard, that currently, placing many gates (like 50 or so) in one area makes playing almost impossible.