Sign in to follow this  
Geist

4x4 Paving

So while exploring I happened to see a pattern like this in a 4x4 tile area. 

2cp46ew.png

(The red being pottery bricks and the black being stone brick.) 

While trying to achieve this via the "pave nearest corner", I kept getting weird patterns.

953ab72a80432169f4c2f93ac3c4db03.png

Ideally, there would be stone-brick on every outer corner and pottery bricks on the inner corners. What am I doing wrong? 

I found this image to show exactly what I am trying to achieve. 

H09iNQd.jpg?1

Edited by Geist

Some of the WU corner tile layouts were mucked up in 1.7, I have not explored enough in 1.8 to see whether they actually fixed this yet. I am assuming though you ARE on the 1.8 patch?  

edit: logged in,, and 1.8 seems ok.   It took me some time practicing and tearing up and retrying though to originally get the hang of making "diamond" style designs with paving. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

14 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Some of the WU corner tile layouts were mucked up in 1.7, I have not explored enough in 1.8 to see whether they actually fixed this yet. I am assuming though you ARE on the 1.8 patch?  

edit: logged in,, and 1.8 seems ok. 

Yes, I am on the 1.8 patch. Not sure what I'm doing wrong for this to happen then.. 

probably this is not quite the same:

I do remember I also had problems understanding at first , then once I got the hang of it, it went fine, but I can't remember now what originally confused me or what o changed to make it work right, sorry ?

Just maybe get a load of different colored/type paving bricks and practice ...?

It is also possible that some types of pavement, won;t "play nice" with other types, see whether you are able to do it ok with normal cobblestone and maybe something like roundstone, in case it is an issue combining pottery brocks with other types.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

19 hours ago, Geist said:

found this image to show exactly what I am trying to achieve.

The eight slab tiles on the outside are what makes the pattern possible.  Diagonal paving takes the pattern of the nearest corner from whatever you pave that tile "nearest corner" with, covering half of the tile in question, then it takes the other two quarters of the tile each from whatever is on the tile with the shared borders.

For the four stone brick tiles under the fountain, you would stand at the corner where the fountain is, face diagonally outward, then pave the nearest corner.

To put it another way:  You would start with a 4x4 of packed dirt directly under that fountain.  You would go stand at the fountain, right on the corner.  Face to the northwest, pave nearest corner.  Face to the southwest, pave nearest corner.  Face to the southeast, pave nearest corner.  Face to the northeast, pave nearest corner. 

If you were to have grass tiles or something else where those slate slabs are in your picture, that is what you would get in the corners of the stone brick tiles.  

An example of the southeast corner:  If you were to have a stone slab on the east and a pottery brick on the south, you would get a tile that is 1/2 stone brick, 1/4 stone slab, and 1/4 pottery brick.

Note that you can go back and change the the adjacent tiles (where the stone slabs are in your picture) later; I have had no problems with the game updating to match the new paving type.  (Or grass, or dirt, or whatever.)

• Like 1

Pave the 2 light coloured full tiles in each direction, leaving the 2x2 in the center as packed dirt. Then stand in the center of the 2x2 and "pave nearest corner" in the 2nd colour for all 4 tiles. The unpaved sections always take the colour of whatever tiles are next to them, in this case the light colour.