Sign in to follow this  
Finndar

Finndar's Very Random Wurm Online Mechanics Factoids

I've been a Community Assistant since April. During those 6 months, I've learned a lot of very random Wurm Online factoids I didn't know. Many of them are things you already knew. Some of them I already knew but wanted to be able to express more concisely. So I wrote them all down. And just in case it helps anyone, am sharing them here:

1) Chickens not laying eggs:
Ensure the chickens are on dirt, grass, or crop tiles. Not on pavement, lawn, or enchanted grass tiles. Leave piles of grain, seeds, vegetables, or cut grass for them to eat.

2) Rare fishing tiles move seasonally:
Feb 7, 2018: Bugfix: Rare fishing spots will now correctly move when the season (and thus fish type) changes.

https://www.wurmonline.com/2018/02/07/patch-notes-07-feb-18/

3) Perimeter:
Most actions are allowed. No new buildings, bridges, and no trimming the grass to make lawn.

4) Missions:
Anyone can participate in missions, including non-premium characters - though some missions may be hard or even impossible to do without premium skill levels.

5) Marble Braziers:
QL does not seem to brighten the flames burning in marble braziers.

6) Fences in caves:
You can build fences in caves, but only on-deed. Both sides of the tile border must be on-deed

7) White Dye not showing:
White dye does not show up properly on items no matter what the quality or your client settings are.  This is a known issue.

? Size v Volume:
Volume allows for more of things that would already fit. Size allows for something that wouldn't normally fit.

9) Fresh herbs vs. non-fresh herbs:
Fresh herbs and spices are counted as different ingredients in some recipes, resulting in a different affinity.

10) Death tab:
The death tab is only activated if the player who died is both premium and has more than 20 Fighting Skill after death.
The death tab also only activates from creature kills, not any falling damage or suicides.

11) Rares vs normal tools
Versus normal tools, rare tools have a faster action timer, get a QL bonus for gathering, take less damage, and their enchants last longer

12) Bugged item in bsb/fsb/crate:
Leftovers from bulk containers can be removed by putting in a piece of the same bugged item inside, then taking it out.

13) Shields:
There is no difference among shields for PvE.  In PvP, the difference is blocking radius for arrows and stamina usage.
For PvP, it is 90 degrees small, 135 medium, 180 large, but if you're facing 45 degrees to the right of the archer, all shields will block.

14) Transferring rarity when imping:
You have a 1/100 chance to transfer rarity when imping with the final bits of a rare item - that last imp before the item poofs.

15) Making mortar:
Sand QL determines mortar QL.  Clay QL determines % chance of success in making the mortar.

16) Breedable Animals:
If a creature can be tamed or dominated, you can breed it (with the exception of creatures who lay eggs).

17) Restoration:
I believe it was said that higher restoration is linked to getting better material (such as moonmetal items) at high skill.

When identifying, you get better skill gain if you identify with the opposite tool called for, but using the correct tool helps you identify faster 

18) Blessed lamps:
You need around 20 faith to be able to notice that an item is blessed when you examine it.

19) Tar for fuel:
1kg of tar is the same as 8kg of normal wood. 4kg of tar will fully fuel a furnace.

20) Bee stuff:
Peat does not fuel a bee smoker
Honey does not decay so you don't need to seal barrels of honey
A 90 QL bee hive has a radius of 11 tiles, so you want to space out 90 QL bee hives 22 tiles apart

21) Sorcery items:

Tomes, Cherries, etc. can be used at any altar - even UNblessed altars - and can even be used with an iron metal bowl.

A sorcery staff cannot be improved or repaired.  QL of the staff does not matter (similar to statuettes).

22) Cooking Oil:
Olive Oil is not considered a cooking oil.  Try corn oil if you're looking for an easy-to-make cooking oil.

23) Wild Growth does not work on trellises.

24) Door locks on a building are not over-ridden by deed permissions.  Deed permissions only affect fence gates.

• Like 12

Bridges can't attach directly to a mine opening

The building floor height of the floor of your second story (or level) is 33 above ground and each floor above is at 30 increments (reason: the floor structure is 3 high and walls are 30 high).

Bridges that attach to building doors or gates will allow critters through, regardless of locks. (known bug).

I'll add more as I think of them.  Great list of stuff and some I had no clue!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Finndar said:

1) Chickens not laying eggs:
Ensure the chickens are on dirt, grass, or crop tiles. Not on pavement, lawn, or enchanted grass tiles. Leave piles of grain, seeds, vegetables, or cut grass for them to eat.

I will add one interesting fact here - only original tile type matters. If you build a building with floors and there is dirt tile beneath it, it will still count as valid for egg laying purposes.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2018 at 3:52 AM, Warlander said:

I will add one interesting fact here - only original tile type matters. If you build a building with floors and there is dirt tile beneath it, it will still count as valid for egg laying purposes.

Wow, had no idea about this, will definitely try this and build chicken coop :D

On 9/24/2018 at 12:12 PM, Finndar said:

17) Restoration:
I believe it was said that higher restoration is linked to getting better material (such as moonmetal items) at high skill.

When identifying, you get better skill gain if you identify with the opposite tool called for, but using the correct tool helps you identify faster 

(Higher restoration and using high quality tools also affects the enchants and runes you get; correct tool doesn't just help identify faster, but also affects the end result material type, casts and runes recieved.  Saving your combinable tool/weapon/armor fragments, particularly armor and whole tool/weapon fragments and combining at mid stamina with sb is excellent skillgain, even above 85 arch/resto)

21) Sorcery items:

Tomes, Cherries, etc. can be used at any altar - even UNblessed altars - and can even be used with an iron metal bowl.

A sorcery staff cannot be improved or repaired.  QL of the staff does not matter (similar to statuettes).

(QL of the staff is influenced by natural substances skill when creating.  Sorcery staves will decay very quickly outside inventory and cannot be repaired normally (not sure if it can be mended))