Sign in to follow this  
Vaelir

Optimal Mining Skill Calculator (Ore Difficulty / Pick QL)

Hello Wurmians, 

I created this spreadsheet for personal use a while back and recently shared it with my Alliance and the CA Help chat. 

It is based on the formula available on wurmpedia and regularly referenced in the CA Help chat.

I believe it is self explanatory but you basically fill in the blue fields to work out either the optimal ore type to mine with your skill and pickaxe QL or alternatively use the other calculator to work out the best QL of pickaxe if you want to mine a specific ore! 

I figured it worthwhile linking here for the wider community, any feedback would be appreciated!

But feel free to download a personal copy if you want to tweak it to your own taste, otherwise just fill in the blue fields to make use. 

Note: The "guide" part of the spreadsheet is somewhat opinion based and there are likely many other alternatives! ^-^

A Note on Vein Quality/Prospecting:

Skill can only be gained when mining ores under 39 QL, however ores mined at the "cap" for their Quality (such as mining a 35QL ore from a 35QL vein) could have rolled higher than 39QL (such as 60QL mining action) and so would not provide skill gain - but would be capped by the quality of the vein and therefore result in a 35QL shard/ore.

In addition to this, you won't get skill for any ores mined at 1.00 QL either as that is considered a "fail" action. The equations provided in the spreadsheet therefore focus on maximizing the amount of shards/ores mined between 1.01 and 38.99 QL, whilst also preferring longer actions for more chance at a skill tick.

Note that is is still recommended that one should always mine ores which prospect as "Poor" or "Acceptable" as this leaves the higher quality veins for you to mine with a better QL pickaxe when you want to mine higher QL shards/ores to use. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1p_1hjgJcxYYicJlHbVVN2UU10DsVd6SvFlUudXCbYnw/edit

PS. If many people are using the spreadsheet at once it is likely to be frustrating so I would recommend downloading a copy and I will update this post if a new version is ever released (unlikely unless lots of constructive criticism or updates to how the mining skill is gained in wurm).

You can also open the google docs version & go to "File - Make a Copy" to have a copy of the google doc version saved to your google docs.

If you would like to see more spreadsheets like this, feel free to ask and I may be up for it!

Also I am totally cool with anyone else making similar or even using this as a basis for the other skills.

Enjoy and Happy Mining! ?

V

Edited by Vaelir
  • Like 6

Thanks for posting this one here too Vaelir :). I already read it while beeing ingame today.

One thing to note though. If i'm not mistaken you suggest to mine only veins that are low quality (below 40 for e.g.) because you only get a skillgain when getting an ore between 1.01 and 39.99 quality. But if you use a low quality vein (for e.g. one with only 23 quality), you seem to _think_ that you will gain mining levels for each shard of QL 23.

As far as i know it is not like this, even though the shard is capped at QL 23 (from the vein) it might be internally handled as a "quality 60 roll" (just as an example) and does not offer any skillgain.

Anyways - nice job! :)

Edited by masterqgj
  • Like 1

master is correct :) You will not get extra gains. You will end at the cap of what the vein is but might not get a tick as the roll was higher than the cap of the vein. The suggestion to use veins under 40ql is a good one though. That way you are not wasting veins that will give you higher QL when you actually want it in the future.

21 hours ago, Vaelir said:

PS. If many people are using the spreadsheet at once it is likely to be frustrating so I would recommend downloading a copy and I will update this post if a new version is ever released (unlikely unless lots of constructive criticism or updates to how the mining skill is gained in wurm).

You can also open the google docs version & go to "File - Make a Copy" to have a copy of the google doc version saved to your google docs.

Thanks for the feedback all! 

It's good to know the information about the rolls & I'll update shortly to reflect this :)

@Ostenatito - that tool is cool, yes, but sadly it does not offer difficulty 45 veins. And i find such an excelsheet easier and faster to read than to have enter "dozens" of variables in the first place :)

Boah, that was fast, just posted and he added Difficulty 45 veins to the "grinder" page :) Thank you for that. But nonetheless i like the excelsheet from Vaelir. It is so nice to read and i think new players might find it easier to understand. 

Edited by masterqgj

6 hours ago, masterqgj said:

@Ostenatito - that tool is cool, yes, but sadly it does not offer difficulty 45 veins. And i find such an excelsheet easier and faster to read than to have enter "dozens" of variables in the first place :)

Dozens? It's 4: Pickaxe QL, pickaxe skill, mining skill, and type of vein.

Use whatever tool you find most convenient, but come on now, 4 is not "dozens".