Sign in to follow this  
Ostentatio

Less smoke from fireplaces

I have a fireplace on the first floor of my building, and as high as the third floor, I swear the entire place is getting fumigated.

It's a lot of smoke for something you'd typically use in a residential building, and tends to rise pretty high.

better : dont allow furnaces to have a floor above or it would burn? I mean, hello?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

better : dont allow furnaces to have a floor above or it would burn? I mean, hello?

better yet, let us extend the chimney.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

Yup.  I cringe whenever I see forges and such sticking through the upper floor and putting smoke throughout the building.  Needs to be on a "to fix" list somewhere, I would hope.  Would be tricky to put in place though, as many times I plan a floor above as a flat rooftop, which the furnace top should be able to render through, so not sure how you would prevent this.

Edited by Thalius
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Roccandil said:

+1 to chimneys and fixing forges/ovens from poking up.

Big thumbs up to some sort of chimney mechanic added. ??

I love the bright plumes of smoke boiling out of the houses, especially with multiple fireplaces and that roar of the fire

9 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

I love the bright plumes of smoke boiling out of the houses, especially with multiple fireplaces and that roar of the fire

I have no problem with the smoke either, just would like something like chimneys that could be built to keep it going up and out of the house rather than just rendering through every floor and wall of the building.

17 hours ago, Gladiator said:

You've never lived in a building with a kitchen or fireplace that wasn't on the top floor?

In real life, we have ways of dealing with this, like chimneys. In Wurm, we don't yet. I guess a better way to phrase this suggestion would have been "more control over fireplace smoke".

Edited by Ostentatio

I've found threads going back to 2012 about this issue of smoke in houses.  The number of responses this thread gets may not be indicative of how important the topic is to folks in general.

I've used spiral staircases to mimic a chimney in the past by just pushing the forge/oven into it and having another spiral staircase above but it only obscures some of the smoke and is too specific.  It did get me thinking though.

1. Use the graphic from the center brick column of spiral staircases.
  2. Allow it to be placed anywhere on a tile so it can go over the forge/oven sticking out.
  3. Require it to be "secured."
  4. When lighting the forge/oven, the game does a check to see if the tile above has the column on it.
  5. If so, the smoke graphic is moved vertically the distance of the brick column so the smoke appears to be coming out of that, but not the forge.

Just a thought using pieces that already exist.

I think there is code checking for the existence of something above or below regarding secured BSB's?  Could rip or copy that code?

+1 to a solution but I do like seeing smoke billowing from above a house so I'd rather a solution that allows us to keep that.  Nice to come home to and makes the environment look more alive.

• Like 1