Sign in to follow this  

WU patch 1.8.0.3 new client renderer

The new client renderer in patch 1.8.0.3 behaves in a bit unsatisfactory manner. The frame rate drops to 1fps when there are buildings nearby. System is linux mint 17.3 / NVIDIA GTS 250 / nvidia binary driver version 340.102. Too old graphics card?

Before the patch, the old renderer behaved ok when there were buildings nearby, no pretty trees though. After the patch it too causes the framerate to drop down to 1fps. This happens even with pure WU, without any mods installed. So I suspect that the developers did it once again. They brought in a renderer which uses/needs some GPU capabilities that older cards simply don't have.

The GTS 250 is really weak, I agree. I got a card form 2014, only four years old, second hand, nvidia GT 730. Theoretically it's about equal to GTS 250 but somehow it brings a betterment. The new renderer is still quite unusable but the GT 730 gives about 10 fps around buildings using the old renderer. It's playable. Server population influences the frame rate too, the 10 fps is with app 30 people logged in, higher fps when less people in.

WU is no longer a game for "any old computer". The last two renderers seem to require rather recent gaming class graphics hardware.

This is a situation CC devs can't win.  Most people want a modern game to take advantage of their modern hardware, old timers want the game to run on "any old computer".  I guess they have to target the larger player base and leave behind anyone who can't/won't upgrade.

Go to a pawn shop. To many people buy and then get in a bind pawn pc's and lap tops and never get out of the bind before there product is picked up and pawn shops have it sitting there collecting dust go bargain with them for a upgrade.

Spoiler
  • MINIMUM:
    • OS: Windows Vista/7/8/8.1/10                                                                            
    • Processor: 2.6 GHZ Intel Core 2 DUO or equivalent AMD CPU
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GT 4xx , Radeon HD 5xxx
    • Storage: 3000 MB available space
    • Additional Notes: Java Version 8
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Processor: Intel Core i7 or equivalent AMD CPU
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
    • Storage: 3000 MB available space
    • Additional Notes: Java Version 8

4GB Ram

Free Ram not used by system or other programs.

They never Say it like the above cause they assume you know this already. 

Example: Win 10 on my pc idle uses 2.7 gb ram out of the 16gb I have installed. 

So if i had say 4gb ram in my pc and win10 uses 2.7 i have only 1.3 gigs free to run other programs.

The reason it ask for 4gb for WU is because if you run your own standalone game the client normally uses around 1.2 to 1.6 gb ram while the standalone server uses around 1.2 to 1.6 based on your settings for the game aka... amount of animals. so total asked for is 2.4 to 3.2gb ram with some play room for the future of development.

Video card must support API that game uses. Not all cards support all API's so make sure your card at least supports what ever API the game uses.

Example: If you have a game that ask for DX12 and your card is DX11 or lower you have a issue.

If your game ask for open GL and your card don't support open GL you will have a problem.

If your game ask for Vulkan support and your card does not have Vulkan API and support you going to have a problem.

I have a EVGA Geforce Nvidia GTX 760 with 4gb ddr5 ram. Blue Shows my API support on my card.

Spoiler
  • SPECIFICATIONS

• Base Clock: 1085 MHZ
    • Boost Clock: 1150 MHz
    • Memory Clock: 6008 MHz Effective
    • CUDA Cores: 1152
    • Bus Type: PCI-E 3.0
    • Memory Detail: 4096MB GDDR5
    • Memory Bit Width: 256 Bit
    • Memory Speed: 0.33ns
    • Memory Bandwidth: 192.2 GB/s
    • UPC: 843368025892
    • EAN: 4250812401472

DIMENSIONS

• Height: 4.376in - 111.15mm
    • Length: 9.5in - 241mm
    • Width: Dual Slot

KEY FEATURES

• EVGA Double BIOS
    • Microsoft DirectX 12 API (feature level 11_0) Support
    • NVIDIA 3D Vision Ready***
    • NVIDIA Adaptive Vertical Sync
    • NVIDIA CUDA Technology with OpenCL support
    • NVIDIA FXAA Technology
    • NVIDIA GPU Boost
    • NVIDIA PhysX technology
    • NVIDIA PureVideo HD Technology
    • NVIDIA SLI Ready
    • NVIDIA SMX Engine
    • NVIDIA Surround
    • NVIDIA TXAA Technology
    • OpenCL Support
    • OpenGL 4.4 Support
    • PCI Express 3.0 Support
    • Supports four concurrent displays

RESOLUTION & REFRESH

• Max Monitors Supported: 4
    • 240 Hz Max Refresh Rate
    • Max Analog: 2048x1536
    • Max Digital: 4096x2160

REQUIREMENTS

• 500 Watt or greater power supply with a minimum of 30 Amp on the +12 volt rail.****  Very important info or my card don't run right.
    • PCI Express, PCI Express 2.0 or PCI Express 3.0 compliant motherboard with one graphics slot.
    • An available 6-pin PCI-E power connector and an available 8-pin PCI-E power connector
    • Windows 10 32/64bit, Windows 8 32/64bit, Windows 7 32/64bit, Windows Vista 32/64bit, Windows XP 32/64bit

Example: There is a computer you can rent or buy at Arons in the US which is said to be a gaming rig with a Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 with 4gb ram

When my pc went down i rented a pc till i got mine back up and running. The Nvidia card in that rented pc was low grade and my 760 ran circles around it.

Games I could almost max out with my 760 I had to lower settings for that 1070 to handle cause just because it says gaming rig or because the card is newer than mine does not mean it has the correct API support on that card or all the features supported by my 760.

Power supplies: My rig will not crank up at all with a 700watt PS I can smash the power button all day long nothing not a flicker.

Drop a 750Watt Ps in it it will crank does this mean I have the right PS? NO I need min of at least a 1000watt PS to maintain my rig at even the most demanding task I do at times and games with settings i use.

If your PS does not have enough power when a Graphics Card calls for power you will exp issues. A PS has to have extra Power on the side specially for Graphic Cards. 

What takes power in a pc? Each ram stick, CPU, Motherboard, Each HDD, SSD, CD player, Case fan, And yes Video Card.

Best way to buy a PS is calculate up how much power is needed for each item at its peak then you will know what PS watts you need.

Note if you have a PS that does not have enough power to support your rig at demanding times you will burn out that PS sooner. If a PS has a warranty for 3 years it should last 3 years if it doesn't make it you might be over working it.

Edited by Arkonick

15 hours ago, www said:

The GTS 250 is really weak, I agree. I got a card form 2014, only four years old, second hand, nvidia GT 730. Theoretically it's about equal to GTS 250 but somehow it brings a betterment. The new renderer is still quite unusable but the GT 730 gives about 10 fps around buildings using the old renderer. It's playable. Server population influences the frame rate too, the 10 fps is with app 30 people logged in, higher fps when less people in.

WU is no longer a game for "any old computer". The last two renderers seem to require rather recent gaming class graphics hardware.

Spoiler
Graphics card version GT 730 
DDR3, 128-bit
GT 730 
DDR3, 64-bit
GT 730 
GDDR5
CUDA Cores                                    96                                          384                                         384

Base Clock (MHz)                          700                                        902                                         902

GT 730 Memory Specs

Memory Clock                                1.8 GPS                                1.8 GPS                                  5.0 GPS  

Standard Memory Config            1024 MB                               2048 MB                                1024 MB

Memory Interface                          DDR3                                     DDR3                                      DDR5      

Memory Interface Width              128bit                                   128bit                                     128bit

Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec)      28.8                                       14.4                                        40

GT 730 Feature Support:
MicroSoft DirectX                         12API                                     12API                                    12API      

Bus Support                                   PCI Express 2.0                    PCI Express 2.0                   PCI Express 2.0

OpenGL                                           4.4                                          4.4                                          4.4

Supported Technologies CUDA, PhysX, FXAA,
DirectX 12, 
Adaptive VSync,
3D Vision
CUDA, PhysX, FXAA,
DirectX 12, 
Adaptive VSync,
3D Vision
CUDA, PhysX, FXAA,
DirectX 12, 
Adaptive VSync,
3D Vision

Don't see any open CL support other than that which ever one of these cards you own should run it fine with no issues at max settings.

API is important.

LWJGL is a Java library that enables cross-platform access to popular native APIs such as OpenGL, OpenAL, and OpenCL.
LWJGL is what the new addition to the engine and graphic changes.

LWJGL Stands for Lightweight Java Game Library
OpenGL Stands for Open Graphics library
OpenAL Stands for Open Audio Library
OpenCL Stands for Open Computing Language

Your card dosn't support OpenCL might be the issue with some of the changes made after LWJGL

On 9/20/2018 at 2:40 PM, www said:

The new client renderer in patch 1.8.0.3 behaves in a bit unsatisfactory manner. The frame rate drops to 1fps when there are buildings nearby. System is linux mint 17.3 / NVIDIA GTS 250 / nvidia binary driver version 340.102. Too old graphics card?

Spoiler

GPU Engine Specs

CUDA Cores

Graphics Clock (MHz)

738MHz

Processor Clock (MHz)

1836MHz

Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec)

Memory Specs

Memory Clock

1100MHz

Memory Interface

GDDR3

Memory Interface Width

256-bit

Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec)

Feature Support

OpenGL

Supported Technologies

SLI, CUDA, 3D Vision, PhysX

SLI Options

2-way

3-way

Don't see any OpenCL

And low ram on card.

Buy a GTX 1050 Ti and you will be fine with Wurm for the next years. A GTX 1050 Ti costs less than 200€.

When buying a video card check API always of the card before buying.

There are different Card makers EVGA, MSI, ASUS, XFX stc... and they all don't add the same API's they can make the same card but the API's added is up to the Card maker.

EVGA can add OpenCL, OpenGL, and DX12 while 

MSI might have DX12, OpenGL, and Vulkan

And it be the same Video card example Nvidia Geforce 1280 each Card maker will have different API's so shop around. API's is one of the things that cause the cards to rise in price. Thats why you see the same card by same company with 2 to 5 different prices and designs.

Edited by Arkonick

Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS are fine for Wurm. Don't make a mountain out of a molehill

On 10/12/2018 at 10:54 AM, Arkonick said:

When buying a video card check API always of the card before buying.

There are different Card makers EVGA, MSI, ASUS, XFX stc... and they all don't add the same API's they can make the same card but the API's added is up to the Card maker.

EVGA can add OpenCL, OpenGL, and DX12 while 

MSI might have DX12, OpenGL, and Vulkan

And it be the same Video card example Nvidia Geforce 1280 each Card maker will have different API's so shop around. API's is one of the things that cause the cards to rise in price. Thats why you see the same card by same company with 2 to 5 different prices and designs.

I don't know where you're getting your info from, but a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti will support the same features regardless of the overall branding. Most just use reference boards with trivial modifications. Most of the difference between them is the cooling installation to go with their tweaked GPU/VRAM clock configuration.

The official specifications of the GTX 1050 Ti GPU can be found here: https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-1050-ti/specifications or https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1050/

There are only 3 standard variants of this product, which will be clearly displayed by each brand of graphics card, but the DirectX, Vulkan, and OpenGL support is the same across all 3 models.