Sign in to follow this  
Koreal

Dye has weird effects on Seryll plate armor

Dyed a Seryll Great Helm with bright green 83ql dye.  When worn, the helm appears to me and others as a very very dark green, almost black, as though the original red color mixes with the green dye.  When dropped or placed, it appears to me and others to be bright green, as though the original red color was overridden with the dye.

Dyed the rest of my Seryll plate armor (BP Legs Gauntlets Boots and Sleeves) with the same dye.  All of it shows regular red when worn, as though the dye wasn't even there.  All of it shows as bright green when dropped or placed, as though the original color had been overridden by the dye.

Clearly something about this scenario is wrong.  Thank you for your attention.

This is because seryll armour is a separate texture, rather than a red shader over the metal like other metals (glimmer and ada plate has the same effect) 

It's not a bug, just the fact the colour overlay is on top of a red background rather than a neutral background, it shows as bright green when dropped because it's not using the seryll model for that. 

17 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

This is because seryll armour is a separate texture, rather than a red shader over the metal like other metals (glimmer and ada plate has the same effect) 

It's not a bug, just the fact the colour overlay is on top of a red background rather than a neutral background, it shows as bright green when dropped because it's not using the seryll model for that. 

So dye is meant to be ineffective on Seryll armor?

Yet, it works on the great helm.  So if dye is meant to be ineffective, it would seem like it working on the helm is a bug.

Or is the inconsistency the intended behavior?

When work it mixes the for of the due with the red of the seryll. It's like painting addy or glimmer helmets. Those looks like due mixed with yellow and blue respectively 

If I'm deciphering your post correctly, then yes, I understand that when dying works correctly it should mix the color of the dye with the base color, in this case red.

However, the part that has me confused, is that dye appears to work correctly on the Seryll Great Helm, but not the rest of Seryll armor.  Retrograde said that dye is not meant to work on Seryll, due to the custom texture it uses, and that is intended behavior.  However, if that is the case, then the fact that it does work on one piece of Seryll armor (the helm) but not on the rest, appears to be a bug.  Unless of course the devs/artists intended only one piece to be dye-able but not the rest.

Then there's also the fact that dye actually works on the rest of the Seryll suit, it just doesn't show.  If I activate dye and right click my Seryll breastplace, I get the option to Paint it with the dye.  If the breastplate is not intended to be dye-able, I should not have the option to do so, nor should it work correctly on the Helm.

Further, when I place my dyed Seryll suit on a table or on the ground, it shows up as the pure color of the dye, not a mixture of red + dye, nor straight red like when worn.  Retrograde explained that this is because it's not using the Seryll model when seryll armor is placed anywhere.  Which itself seems like another bug, as it seems to me that Seryll armor should look like Seryll armor when put on a table.

So as far as I can tell from my experiments and the information Retrograde provided (thank you, by the way!), there seems to be two or three different bugs operating here.  The first is that one piece of seryll plate armor shows dye correctly and the rest does not (so either the helm is bugged and should not show dye, or the rest of the suit is bugged and should).  The second bug is that Seryll plate does not show up as Seryll plate when placed/dropped, causing extra weird effects when it's been dyed.  The third is that if Seryll plate is not meant to be able to be dyed, the option to do so (and waste dye) should not be available.

Thank you all for your time and attention!