Sign in to follow this  
WolfRaiser

What are the chances of a new player

Hello all! 

I never played WO but I have been playing WU for over 1500 hours but as some of you must know, the situation of the servers is not always ideal, so I have been considering jumping in the crazy world of WO. How is it to jump in 2018? Is it worth my time? 

Do you think a new player stands a chance, especially on a PVP server? I was always fascinated by the PVP in this game and would like to try in an actual online settings where many people plays. 

What do you recommend, as far as server goes maybe, or do you think I should try the PVE way first? 

Let me know your advice! Thanks

1. find a kingdom on chaos that you are interested in and apply. don't mess with Epic, it isn't worth anyones time.

2. learn the most efficient ways to grind from the most experienced grinders in wurm online as its vastly different from WU. And I don't mean "ask the top tier dudes with 45 strength that tell you to make kindlings for body strength". There are quite a few very knowledgeable people that hang out in the official discord and do not mind sharing the most efficient ways to do things, Noizhead being one

3. grind while you aren't pvping but stay pvp ready (have your horse tamed, gear all in one place etc), pvp when theres pvp and play smart and don't worry about "is it worth my time?"

4. get to know your kingdom and make good friends out of them, as that will be your primary reason to stay in this game as there are tons of reasons to not stay

are you going to jump in and after 1 month compete with someone that has 700 days+ of playtime on their account? no, that would be silly. But do not listen to the plebs that are gonna reply in here saying that 99FS, 99 in every weapon skill, 99 in every subskill, 90 strength 90 stamina 90 body control etc are the minimum requirements for PvPing and having fun. Those are the people that do not understand how the mechanics work and are usually disgruntled people who can't spend more than 1 hour per week committed to grinding for pvp

• Like 6

Thanks for such a quick and detailed response. Indeed, I am sure there is many other ways to contribute (to pvp or other stuff needed to be done) before having all those sweet stats you mentioned. 

Yeah, I have heard good things and adventures from Chaos, as I know someone who used to play there. Definitely not the epic type of player, I do appreciate a challenge and I am not really a fan of the whole effective curve thing. I will most likely check it out soon then, as it's been a few times that I feel WO has whispered temptations to me, and I'm about ready to heed the call!

You can always start out in PVE also get you're feet wet to the way skill gain is in WO instead of WU .

Depending on the private server you were on and setting for skill gains it can be a shock to you're system on gain difference ..

Chaos is just a hope , skip and sail across the border so no need to worry about getting there or back after .

Like Platinumteef said take what most say with a grain of salt and enjoy  ...

• Like 1

I would suggest since you are starting new grinding your skills on one of the pve servers. Then you can always sail over to chaos once you have the skills/gear you need. Starting from square one in chaos can be very challenging. Some kingdoms on Chaos have towns or associates on pve servers. May be a good call to meet up with one of them.

• Like 1

I think you will have a great time choosing WO over WU , everything has more character and feels more real here.

It's not hard for new people to be accepted into different kingdoms on Chaos and I suggest that if you are intereted in PvP then apply for one as soon as you want.

You can grind any skill you want just as well on PvP as PvE , if not in some cases better since PvP kingdoms tend to have so much materials that you can use to your hearts content!
Also, yeah you don't need really high stats to be competitive in PvP, learn from experienced players and you will be good and have a lot of fun.

There is no community like a kingdom in WO community.

• Like 1

If you are interested in grinding skills on a pve server, I'd invite you to consider joining Oakheart community on Xanadu.  We have a large community of new and experienced players, and there is ample opportunity to grind skills and get advice as you learn and grow in an active community environment.  We also have players that have spent much time on Chaos prior to coming to Oakheart, and who return there from time to time. If you are interested, drop me a note and I'll be in touch.

~TH~

Thalius- Duke of Oakheart

Wurm University Kingdom is waiting!

Start on PvE, get some skills on start to become self-confident, but remember - not skills are importan,t but fun. My account is very weak, but for me it doesnt matter - I am on Chaos and I am delighted :P

• Like 1

Hey new guy! Have you joined WO yet, just curious how you are liking it, and if you started on Chaos or are on a PVE server for now to skill before you head into the fire?

Moved to Community Assistance.

The village recruitment center is for when you're actually looking to join somewhere. While you're still looking for advise, this is the place to be :)