Sign in to follow this  
shizno

[Issue] Wine Barrels Decay Away With 0 Damage After Opening

I've now had an issue happen twice where I open a wine barrel and in less than 5 minutes I've had, "A small wine barrel crumbles to dust." in front of me. The first time this happened I had just opened 3 barrels of Thyme tea I had made years ago, as I was planning on selling them and needed to check affinities. 5 minutes after I opened the barrels the event window dropped the "A small wine barrel crumbles to dust." line on me. I looked at my wine rack and sure enough one of my barrels was gone. At first I thought it might have had 99 damage when I opened it and had just ticked over but two things made me not believe that to be true. First, the other barrels had 0 damage on them even though they had been around for years. And the second is that every single wine barrel that I have ever filled, corked, and stored on a rack within a house inside my deed had never taken any damage as far as I can remember. Even now Ive gone through all of my racks and checked every single barrel. None of them have any damage, even ones from over a year ago. Today I opened all of my white wine barrels to taste for affinity, as some of them were made differently, and yet again, "A small wine barrel crumbles to dust." popped onto my event window. I'll say again. None of these barrels have any damage at all. I even tried repairing them and the game just tells me, "The small wine barrel doesn't need repairing.". I did /support and even the CM couldn't figure out why this had happened and was told to come to the forums for help. This issue is seriously worrying me as I have dozens of barrels of aged drinks from years ago accumulating QL and to see any of them explode for no reason is unacceptable to me. The first barrel I wasn't too broken up about as its just some tea but the second barrel had years old wine in it. Just gone. I don't know what to do or even why this is happening. I'm afraid to open any barrels at this point which is problematic as I'm trying to sell drinks at the moment. Please give me some feed back as to why this is happening and hopefully a fix so I can stop losing time, effort, and materials for unknown reasons.

• Like 1

I thought you could 'taste' sealed barrels to check on affinities.

Should not be crumbling away though that's for sure.

I recently just posted a thread about my wine barrels crumbling away while having 0 damage on them after I open them. I've currently lost 2 barrels, 1 being a 80+ql 45kg barrel of white wine. I now have shadowplay running on my video card so I can record actions that happen on screen. Below I will be posting a video that shows one of my barrels taking 44.72 damage in a single tick after opening it. This shows evidence that the other barrels must have taken over 100 damage in a single tick. Since the barrels are taking over 100 damage there isn't even anything I can do about it as repairing would be impossible. At this rate I'm afraid to open any other barrels as I could instantly lose product and not be able to fix the issue.

Please excuse the audio and video length. I was watching a video at the time and I cannot edit the sound out nor can I crop it to only what is necessary.
Skip the 9:40 on the video and keep your eyes on the middle of the 7th barrel

I strongly suspect but do not have similar evidence that the same has happened to me with opening sealed amphora.

Just to add to this, I've also had this just happen to me with a barrel of moonshine. I didn't get the crumple to dust message though as I suspect I had moved out of range briefly when the decay tick hit

To say it clearly: All that "catchup decay" is a broken mechanic, utterly stupid, frustrating to players, whatever the technical excuses may be.

Yes, a game is not a reality simulation. But it is expected to give kind of intuitive feeling of an alternative world where most things work as they look and feel.

And "no decay" should and must mean no decay, not saving instant damage or destruction for a later moment in the future. Bulk storage nicely works that way, and there is no "catchup contents loss" when a crate or b/fsb leaves a deed or a deed drops.

Just remove catchup decay once and for all. It may annoy users up to quitting.

• Like 1

I agree this is buggy. If decay is supposed to happen, then the game should *show it* to the user when each tick happened. If it's not supposed to happen, then catch-up should not happen. Like most decay already works in-game.