Sign in to follow this  
Thalius

Add Kegs and price setting option on larders, or an NPC Tavern Barkeep, please (Updated)

Greetings!

I'd like to put forward a few simple suggestion that would have significant applications in various settings...

1) Allow for the creation of kegs.  Kegs would be a special barrel that would have a “price per drink” feature added to it.

Crafting recipe for this would simply be to add an item to the game: a "tap".  A tap can be inserted into a small or large barrel and a keg of that size is created.

2) Add a price per serving option to a larder, thus allowing it to be set to “eat from only” or perhaps allow taking of individually prepared servings at a price the owner could set.  No new items or crafting processes necessary.

With these two things added to the game, food and drink could be easily sold on a per serving basis.  It would also be easy to build a diverse and fully functioning Tavern in a community, which is the ultimate desire fueling this suggestion.

This could bring a whole new dynamic to the idea of a public tavern placed in a large community.

Other option is the idea of a new npc barkeep that has mechanics that allow for the bending of food and drink on a per serving scale.

The keg and larder modification suggestion use graphics and mechanics that already exist it the game (except for the need for a “tap” for kegs, and would therefore be simpler to implement (I would think).

The npc option would require more work...

Humbly submitted...

~TH~

Edited by Thalius
  • Like 14

In Oakheart we have been looking at the idea of putting in an actual, functioning tavern.  A mechanic that allowed for the selling of drink items in this manner would  be a lot of fun, and lucrative to those that could produce beverages of various types and of a good quality.

• Like 1

Another idea would be to create a new NPC character- a barkeep. 

Players would buy a contract for their own barkeep, just as they currently do a private merchant contract.  Barrels of drink could be dropped off by the owner for sale on a drink by drink basis.  It would only be placed in doors though, and a bar would have to be crafted where the barkeep could be placed.  Once the barkeep has been placed, a bar and other appropriate aesthetic items would gradually be rendered around it.

• Like 2

With all the hints and questions , rewards Enki was giving last year in his terrorising players I figured they be adding something along the line of Barkeeps and glass items  soon to the game ..

Remember his 3 questions or lose out games ..

Some of the rewards seemed pointed to what you are talking about ..

4 minutes ago, Damascus said:

With all the hints and questions , rewards Enki was giving last year in his terrorising players I figured they be adding something along the line of Barkeeps and glass items  soon to the game ..

I was not around then. Can you link to the post you are referring to, please? If there is one?  If something like a barkeep were being added to the game, it would be a much better feature and would also make the keg idea unnecessary.

+1 I like the idea of kegs and barkeeps. There are soooooooo very many food dishes I never see in game. If we could make them and sell them through the bar keep, that would be really cool. 

• Like 3

On 9/15/2018 at 10:23 PM, CrazyDad543 said:

+1 I like the idea of kegs and barkeeps. There are soooooooo very many food dishes I never see in game. If we could make them and sell them through the bar keep, that would be really cool. 

A barkeep that allowed for the selling of food as well on a per serving basis would be even better!!!

Can't this already more or less be done by stocking a merchant with jars (or similar) of liquids?

1 hour ago, Hordern said:

Can't this already more or less be done by stocking a merchant with jars (or similar) of liquids?

No.  You can sell whole containers of liquids, or whole meals, but nothing on a serving by serving basis that would allow for something like a tavern to be created. Add the possibility of selling food on a per serving basis and you could set up a functioning village tavern of sorts.

Rather than a player having to buy a barrel of wine or a whole pizza or some such, they can throw down fifty or sixty iron (or whatever the vendor sells it at) for a quick affinity hit off some food or drink without having to pay out the silver for the whole pizza or wine barrel.

On 9/22/2018 at 1:32 PM, Thalius said:

No.  You can sell whole containers of liquids, or whole meals, but nothing on a serving by serving basis that would allow for something like a tavern to be created. Add the possibility of selling food on a per serving basis and you could set up a functioning village tavern of sorts.

Well flasks don't hold very much but what you say makes sense :)

On 9/15/2018 at 5:32 PM, Damascus said:

With all the hints and questions , rewards Enki was giving last year in his terrorizing players I figured they be adding something along the line of Barkeeps and glass items  soon to the game ..

Is there any official word that something like a Barkeep is being developed? 

On 9/23/2018 at 2:26 AM, Hordern said:

Well flasks don't hold very much but what you say makes sense :)

Plus, it would just be a lot of fun to be able to add a working tavern to a settlement where citizens and passers by could buy food and drink at minimal cost. 

+1

I spent a couple of days decorating a bar - totally lacking a bartender though...