Sign in to follow this  
Romen

Examining cooked food for recipe

It would be really nice if when one examined cooked food it told you how it was prepared (recipe). Just having something called say "bear meal" without any way of telling what the ingredients are makes it hard to know how to recreate it. As it stands now I rename everything when I cook it so I know, but it would be really nice if I didn't have to. Plus there is a limited length to the name, which means a lot of abbreviating for the complex recipes. Ideally this should be part of vanilla Wurm, but perhaps someone has a mod/can make a mod to do this.

that can be done if you know what the weight of the food is plus the affinity it has in with a little bit of math

Please remember this is a request for a mod, not a suggestion to change the game, If you disagree with it's intended use, that's fine, it won't be in WO and server admins determine what mods they have 

On 9/14/2018 at 1:04 PM, thunderdagger said:

no it would make recipe drops obsolete

Well then have it so it will only show up for recipes you know. Besides, can you even cook something that requires a recipe drop without knowing it already? If you can't cook it then what would be the harm in knowing how it's prepared? For recipes you just haven't discovered by experimentation, you could find out the recipe by getting a copy of the recipe from someone else (a valid game mechanic), by just having someone tell you how to make it or by looking up the recipe online.

• Like 1

Sometimes you make a few simple meals using a variety of veggie types, for example chopped bear + chopped corn, chopped bear + potato.  Both come out with the same name, but give different affinities. I think this mod would be very helpful, as it would tell you which one gave you the affinity.

• Like 2

The whole affinity system is overly complicated, in my opinion. I can understand why they wanted to make it different for each person, so you couldn't just look on a website and get specific recipes for each affinity. But it seems a little illogical to me that a food that gives one person say mining affinity might give another gardening, for example. If you are just cooking for yourself you could rename each meal you make with the affinity it gives, and just record the recipes somewhere. If you are cooking for multiple people, it makes it more difficult. I would have preferred a system where the affinity was based on who cooked the meal, and not the person eating it. It would still mean that each cook would have to track recipes, but at least you wouldn't have to do it for every single character.

Looking at the database structure it looks to me that each meal has links to the ingredients used to make it. The actual affinity calculation must happen as a character tastes or eats the food.

The point of this mod request is to avoid having to do all that recording, @Romen The idea of it being useful for affinities was my idea, not the OP's.  You might like to know that there is a mod out there that makes meals on the server give the same affinity for everyone -- but that is unrelated to this thread, so I won't threadjack by going into it here. 

Well after looking through the code and database I believe the game does not actually store the ingredients used to make the food. Instead it calculates and stores just the weight, CCFP, difficulty and the bonus (the base offset in the list of affinities the food inspires). The actual affinity your character gets is based off your character's ID. There are 2 ways it calculates the offset, depending on whether you have the new affinity calculation feature turned on. I suppose it would be easy enough to make a mod that would show you the values, though that is outside the scope of my original request and not what I was looking for.

However, it does make me think that maybe if you are cooking for multiple people you could just rename each food with a number to represent the "base" affinity (bonus) instead of trying to use a list of ingredients. To get the real value would require knowing what would be the affinity on one food with a know affinity for a 0-offset character, but it probably doesn't really matter if you have only 1 cook. Rename the food with the corresponding affinity number, provide each person with a list of numbered affinities, and then the can figure out what their offset is from the offset you used to make the list. The cook would probably still have to keep a list or spreadsheet with the ingredients they used along with affinity number so they could recreate it.

On 9/21/2018 at 2:16 AM, Batta said:

Sometimes you make a few simple meals using a variety of veggie types, for example chopped bear + chopped corn, chopped bear + potato.  Both come out with the same name, but give different affinities. I think this mod would be very helpful, as it would tell you which one gave you the affinity.

+1 THANK YOU. I was thinking the same thing while reading all these. I think a mod to tell what made it would help 100% because I also tend to make like pork+pumpkin and pork+potato exct... Knowing which one I have in my hand would be a better use of my time!