If you want to devalue LT, then improve natural regeneration and mundane wound treatment.  Ten minutes to recover from scratches, or for a grievous wound to only get marginally worse, hasn't made sense for years.  The healing interval has remained unchanged since the days of finding maybe a dozen mobs in an hour of hunting and grinding FS by fighting livestock with shafts.  The game has changed substantially, and glacial regeneration just feels wrong now.

If you increased player regen intervals to something like one minute so long as the player isn't actively fighting, then mortal wounds would kill a person much faster but little nicks and bruises wouldn't build up in such a boring and frustrating way.  You could use the opportunity to make wounds more interesting, such as cotton instead being used to close open wounds and to set breaks so that they don't get worse, salves to stop infections and burns and frostbite from getting worse, healing covers instead for instant healing, etc, but that is tangential to how hunting and fighting without magical healing is such a drag that it stops being fun.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

I'm aware of the description, but it doesn't specifically mention healing spells.

healing actions 

Edited by Deth666

3 hours ago, Deth666 said:

healing actions 

"Actions" could simply refer to using cotton/salve/covers/water on various types of wounds.

To be honest, when I first read the PoL description way back when, I thought it did include spells, but someone later told me otherwise, and I've never seen an official clarification.

Be nice of instead of Shatter  there was a wipe of all enchants, and maybe a "curse/damaged effect"  that would leave the item for a set amount of time based on say channeling/Rarity of item/Soul Depth  unable to be enchanted.   Better priest stats shorter time say 1-2 weeks,  Priest with bad stats 2-8 weeks.

Have the Cursed/Damaged effect  have a counter  that can be brought down little by little by casting a high favor cleanse spell.    Good priest fail, you can remove the curse/damaged effect maybe cost 1-2k favor in cleanses?  Low skill priest fail, you can remove 2-5k favor.

Then you can if you get it cursed/damaged you wait the time or pay  a lot of favor to get the item ready to be enchanted again.  maybe tie the two together, cast favor on it to bring the timer down or wait then cast the debuff down

Starting to think just leaving the way enchanting tools or weapons the way it is .

Removing shatter  chance would flood the market more , that's not a bad thing , but some new player may be put off if everything last for ever and they like to try and set up a shop ..

As for rare items , shatter should be lowered to next to nothing or like Zentil said have it remove a enchant already casted on it , yes some people may use it to remove enchants they did not want on in the first place .

Just have it remove the highest enchant or last one added to the item ..

I would like to see a way to add a spell to higher gems equal to the spell cast such as strong wall , mole sense  and so forth  and  yes you can buy shatter orbs from trader but who will pay 5 s for that ?

5 hours ago, Damascus said:

I would like to see a way to add a spell to higher gems equal to the spell cast such as strong wall , mole sense  and so forth  and  yes you can buy shatter orbs from trader but who will pay 5 s for that ?

There is suggestion floating about enchanting vellums, my idea is bless piece of paper, combine it with gem dust and source and you get vellum upon you can cast genesis, collapse, mend and other useful spells that priests can sell without traveling.So buyers can use them simply activating vellum on animal/tile/item You would need high ql piece of paper in order not to shatter it, funny enough shatter might be desirable on such scenario. Not sure if ability to transfer casts from vellums on items would break much but could be fun imo.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kochinac said:

There is suggestion floating about enchanting vellums, my idea is bless piece of paper, combine it with gem dust and source and you get vellum upon you can cast genesis, collapse, mend and other useful spells that priests can sell without traveling.So buyers can use them simply activating vellum on animal/tile/item You would need high ql piece of paper in order not to shatter it, funny enough shatter might be desirable on such scenario. Not sure if ability to transfer casts from vellums on items would break much but could be fun imo.

potions those could be fun

22 hours ago, Roccandil said:

Fair enough. :) As Amadee said, however, I'm still skeptical of healing resistance applying to LT. In your dragon/GL scenario, I can't see LT being of much use; are you really going to leech enough to make a difference?

The real exploit sounds like Cure Light, not LT. (Cure Light, incidentally, sounds like a really weak beer... :P )

The example I gave was specific to Cure Light because it's extremely easy to visualize. LT is affected because I've also seen it used to "cheese" combat in some situations. On my Wurm Unlimited server, I implemented mobs that were designed to be taken down by a group of 3-5 players. Instead of encouraging hunting parties (my intended design), the players instead opted to take an LT weapon to the fight. They'd combat with the mob for ~1-3 minutes until they were on low health. Afterwards, they would disengage the creature and begin healing by attacking nearby horses, cows, and similar to heal back up to full in a short time period. They'd then re-engage with the creature and take it down in 3-4 consecutive skirmishes, despite being no match for it individually. This extends to similar encounters such as uniques. I've witnessed players get hit by AoE attacks from uniques then disengage to heal on nearby cows & horses before rejoining the fight.

In the end, the decision was made to apply the healing resistance to all sources of healing that were magic-related. The primary reason is that magic is essentially "free" - especially in the case of Life Transfer. When using first aid, you are consuming cotton, and are limited by how much cotton you bring along. By implementing a healing resistance to magic-related healing effects, it puts a cap on how rapidly you can accept combats. Again, I'll reiterate that if you're playing normally and not entirely outside the bounds of how you should be playing (fighting trolls with no armour equipped for example), you're very unlikely to notice the change to Life Transfer. It's honestly so negligible that during my own testing when I was coding it, I actually checked the math several times over and even wrote debugging messages to ensure it was actually applying the proper values because it was so unnoticeable. I ended up having to test against two trolls while wearing no armour to get the healing resistance to become noticeable enough for me to confirm through eye-test that it was functioning as intended.

I understand the frustration that comes with changes that look bad on paper. It happens very frequently and players do a great job of calling out issues before they get implemented. These types of discussions are critical to ensuring that the game development proceeds in the right direction. However, Life Transfer feels just as good as it did before if you're using it as it was designed (preventing using cotton during hunting). If there really is something wrong with healing resistance being applied to Life Transfer, it will come out in public testing and be changed at that time.

To those wondering when the public testing will begin: My estimate would be a couple of weeks before it's ready for public testing. My personal timeline was actually a few weeks ago but unfortunately real life kicked in and got me at a bad time. I'll be back to coding this week and going through all the bugs that have been found in the meantime. I know people are anxious to get hands on and see it all for themselves. Truthfully, I might even be more anxious to just get it up and running and out there. This will be the first major project that I've worked on as a developer, and I'm really excited to see what people do with it.

• Like 9

A brief thought here; try the experiment again using cloth armour (the kind of armour most PvE priests wear).  Make sure to knock your body stats down to 30 at most!

If I can't take a troll out at 70FS with a heavily enchanted 90QL spear without needing to ride off and heal myself a couple of times, then odds are someone else isn't going to be able to do so either.

You might want to reduce the impact of the resistance based on the armour type worn at the moment of casting (if wearing all cloth, treat it as if it were at a much lower level it, if wearing all leather and one bit of cloth, use leather reduction etc).  This means that heavily armoured characters get a bit of balance against lighter armour users; and it's hard to cheese by swapping out armour mid combat.

• Like 2

Just a random thought, but currently all (that I know of) healing is immediate effects. Maybe some magic effects should be shifted to a Heal over Time design? The current resistance design seems to be trying to do that in a somewhat awkward way.

• Like 1

Speaking of Fo'ly stuff, it would be much appreciated if Fo followers got a bonus in skillgain for nature skills, Magranon gets 25% increase in fighting related skills, Vynora gets 10% in everything. Most Fo priests I know of are farmers and ranchers, just a thought.

Edited by Wiolo
  • Like 3

On 9/15/2018 at 12:10 PM, Oblivionnreaver said:

You can kill a troll with 90ql studded leather and a decent nimb lt 2h wep on 1fs 20 str acc nerfing it a bit doesn't really phase me.  Mobs can be kited and seperated, and could always have been a tos priest as wl kingdom.

Resistance is based off how much is healed so lt'ing a 1 wound wont give you immunity or anything.

Balancing a spell around newbies is a bit strange, seeing as they generally don't have access to such a weapon. 10% healing debuff or w/e isnt going to get them killed, them being newbies is gonna get them killed.

i call bs as a user of a new toon and not a purchaser of old accounts i call BS!! U cannot kill a troll in those conditions .. there is not a chance of doing it just because u have lt and a decent set of armour /weapon.. i dare u to go out and do it some time ill give u the armour and weapons.. trolls hit well above all lt healing on a new account... so BS!!!

2 minutes ago, Psalamon said:

i call bs as a user of a new toon and not a purchaser of old accounts i call BS!! U cannot kill a troll in those conditions .. there is not a chance of doing it just because u have lt and a decent set of armour /weapon.. i dare u to go out and do it some time ill give u the armour and weapons.. trolls hit well above all lt healing on a new account... so BS!!!

When i get home i'll record it for you with my gear

Edited by Oblivionnreaver

how about instead of a blanket nerf to life transfer how about it penetrates easier on less armoured combatants.. making it still viable for new and under armoured combatants hunting... so tax the toons that don;t need it as much more.. so it is still useful we already pay the ""`cost of magic"" by trying to get a decent enchantment with it that taxing it is just a plain nerf and no other way to look at it.. and its not our fault lt weapons have become  a dime  a dozen....

8 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

When i get home i'll record it for you with my gear

id put hard earned money on it...

57 minutes ago, Psalamon said:

id put hard earned money on it...

acd8062fcb2b047a137b25643fea989e.png

Gear being used by the alt is shown above and in video, you can see it's quite trash compared to what i could possibly get him but proving a point. 1fs 19.5 characteristics 1 weapon skill 70ql 2h sword with 51 nimb should not be able to kill a troll yet here we are.

How much hard earned money is mine?

• Like 4

No aosp on armor ? also don't new players have a extra healing buff I noticed top right corner ?

Interesting .....

3 hours ago, Damascus said:

No aosp on armor ? also don't new players have a extra healing buff I noticed top right corner ?

Interesting .....

No aosp, and newbie healing is only for natural regen it just acts like a high power healing cover

On 9/17/2018 at 10:10 AM, Sindusk said:

They'd combat with the mob for ~1-3 minutes until they were on low health. Afterwards, they would disengage the creature and begin healing by attacking nearby horses, cows, and similar to heal back up to full in a short time period.

Are you trying to say you want us to have to 'cotton' up for heals rather than using a LT weapon?

When I am hunting I am doing this for the weapon skills and fighting skills. I rarely carry cotton on my person, maybe a few in a saddle bag for emergency situations, but that is it.

Because I am out hunting down time to heal up sucks, I am out for the skills and that is it. I use my main weapons till my health gets down, then swap out to LT to heal up on what I am fighting or if its critical back off for something easy. At no time am I wasting my hunting time standing there with cotton.

Don't forget how light this nerf is.

What's being done here is putting a (small) cap on healing a huge amount of health in a small period of time.

Edited by Wiolo
  • Like 1

The thing that everyone is neglecting is that currently statue ql and rarity does not effect casting which also doesn't make sense considering most skills in wurm. Also seryll rune on item for small increase shatter res or higher cast chanse seems like waste of seryll and not investment that is worth anything. Maybe some rune that would be applied on statue that would increase average cast power. @Sindusk I'm curious did you take in consideration those two things when it comes to casting?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, kochinac said:

The thing that everyone is neglecting is that currently statue ql and rarity does not effect casting which also doesn't make sense considering most skills in wurm. Also seryll rune on item for small increase shatter res or higher cast chanse seems like waste of seryll and not investment that is worth anything. Maybe some rune that would be applied on statue that would increase average cast power. @Sindusk I'm curious did you take in consideration those two things when it comes to casting?

Very much agree. JS people need love! I have runed my statuette when they came out and was quite disappointed runes do not work. 

Statuette ql should have an effect on power of casts and on casting time too!

• Like 3

I agree strongly with Kochinac and Jaz. Having a statuette affect quality means that you can grind channelling better with a low QL stattuete too, and stick to lower less expensive favor spells. And a great stattuete for enchanting and healing/combat spells.

Disappointing that runes don't affect statuettes. 

• Like 1

Making statuette ql matter is just going to create a sudden extra painful chore where everyone with a priest is going to need to find high ql gold/silver and imp however many statuettes they need to 90ql if they have the skill or be forced to buy

1 hour ago, MrGARY said:

Making statuette ql matter is just going to create a sudden extra painful chore where everyone with a priest is going to need to find high ql gold/silver and imp however many statuettes they need to 90ql if they have the skill or be forced to buy

Isn't it that way with any other item in Wurm? Can carpenters craft their own imping tools?

• Like 2