Well for once I am surprised, I hadn't expected the overhaul to have such a strong impact.

These changes look like a solid improvement to priest QoL; I look forward to seeing what additional spells (and changes to existing ones) come about.  The changes to rite spells in particular are really wonderful to see.  There are a few points worth mentioning:

• The fo spell on show (cleanse) seems a bit underwhelming; letting it spawn random flowers would be a nice upgrade, or allowing it to spawn reeds/kelp when cast on water tiles would also be a nice change.

• "Healing / life transfer has a total combined resistance, much like how light of Fo has worked." - This worries me a little, since it is going to further nerf LoF if it shares its resistance pool with other healing spells.  Does this mean that, if you are healed by light of fo, you may resist a cure light wounds cast afterwards?

• Enchanting is the lifeblood of many priests, and some way of producing metallic liquid using alchemy and a large amount of resources (thinking bulk such as ores/alloys) would add a nice new side market to the enchanting world.  Makes it less rare, but I suspect it will always be in demand by enchanters wanting to hedge the odds.

Again, a lot of new gameplay potential here for priest players; well done!  I look forward to the testing period, and seeing what additional changes have been made.

• Like 5

Another thought: if it were my game, I'd not only remove shattering, I'd introduce the possibility of rare/supreme/fantastic enchantments (with an appropriate increase in cast power). (Metallic liquid could then increase the chances of getting a rare cast.)

That way, instead of sitting down to a casting session with the fear of shattering hanging over me, I'd instead know I'd have a shot at something cool.

That's the kind of long-shot RNG that encourages participation. :)

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, kochinac said:

Yes there are already suggestions about disassembling rare tools by enchanters to get rare essence which could be used (several of them) for a chance to increase rarity or maybe can even be used for creating metalic liquids by alchemists. Plenty of things that can be done and thought of that are rewarding and serves as item sinks. I like idea about disassembling high ql items by crafters for skill gain also.

I'd also make rarity and moonmetal give a bonus to skillgain via disassembling. So, the fastest way to grind weaponsmithing would be to disassemble rare moonmetal weapons. :)

I note that the "item sink pressure" from a mechanic such as disassembly is always present, unlike shattering, which only has a relatively small window to act during the enchanting process (making it largely ineffective as an item sink, and really more of a player sink :P ).

Yeah disassembling rare pickaxe for example should give relatively significant skill gain in blacksmithing compared to a regular pickaxe to give people reason to destroy it(best thing is it fits lore completely, you carefully study someones extraordinary work and learn a lot from it), also 80 skill blacksmith for example would want bulk of 90ish ql picks in order to have viable grind this could even encourage trade and create market for normal items, or he can still imp all fashioned way for cheaper and longer to get same skill gain, I admit lot of numbers and simulations need to be done in order this to be balanced. Like I said before between the lines I doubt shattering is so efficient item sink, maybe there are some logs or data about how much rare/supreme items was shattered in last year for example so we know exactly?

• Like 1

I think the key issue here is that priests are not encouraged to grind and actually get better and instead they are encouraged to do something absolutely irrelevant to being a priest and enchanting to get an irrelevant item to bandaid being a better priest.  It makes no sense, the same way that gold's shatter resistance isn't going to encourage making gold tools because gold sucks, even steel having a shatter resistance isn't going to encourage anyone not already using steel to use it because steel is such a pain to maintain

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Roccandil said:

Instead, if item sinks are such a big deal to have, make them fun: allow crafters to disassemble items for skillgain, or let priests unenchant items for channeling gain.

I know that I'd clear out a lot of stuff if that were implemented. :)

That would be awesome, and a really good sink. 

One way this could be added is that you can only disassemble items you created by yourself, to prevent the "Buying 10k pickaxes" thing. 

On the other hand I think losing all the enchants on a weapon on failure is AMAZING, and really could have the potential to replace shattering, or make shatter stopping at 70-80+ channeling

2 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:
  • The fo spell on show (cleanse) seems a bit underwhelming; letting it spawn random flowers would be a nice upgrade, or allowing it to spawn reeds/kelp when cast on water tiles would also be a nice change.

Yes yes yes please allow Fo to create reed and kelp! It does not really working on their own.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MrGARY said:

I think the key issue here is that priests are not encouraged to grind and actually get better and instead they are encouraged to do something absolutely irrelevant to being a priest and enchanting to get an irrelevant item to bandaid being a better priest.  It makes no sense, the same way that gold's shatter resistance isn't going to encourage making gold tools because gold sucks, even steel having a shatter resistance isn't going to encourage anyone not already using steel to use it because steel is such a pain to maintain

Yeah I agree with this too, the key issue is grinding channelling doesn't seem much rewarding to people and they have same feeling wheater they are casting on 80 skill enchanter or 90 skill enchanter or even 95 skill enchanter there might be subtile difference but not that noticeable. Wanted to make that remark myself but forgot, even if gold had higher resistance still nobody would be using it for tools just because has resistance. I personally use steel for my tools as very good middle ground between iron and addy which seems impossible to maintain good ql on tools and because I like dmg resistance on use (wheater is it worth the effort of making steel debatable). So for me steel is addy for poor man and as addy has dmg and shatter resistance makes sense to me that steel also has both considering amount of work put in, might not encourage all people to use it more maybe but some might, trust me it's not that pain to maintain as it last longer than iron, although certainly wouldn't fix the main problem.

Also another thing that cross my mind is that messing power output depending on skill might ###### up grinding even more as it is hard already. But I think that we can all agree from this thread that there is a lot more unsatisfactory from enchanting that can be worked on and the problem might be deper to be simply patched with some metalic liquid.

I think that was the point of receiving input from community on change. Nobody is being ungrateful and diminishing the great work done so far, which is really great from what I've seen in preview. I just want that we stay open and have a proper civil discussion with dev team as goal of most of us is to have as much balanced and enjoyable game as it is possible in the end.

From my experience, 80 enchanting and 90ql tools, and 97 channeling and 90ql tools have the exact same shatter chance, just slightly better cast averages on 97. not worth the 5 gold or so i spent grinding it lol. i just buy enchants nowadays, haven't premmed my priest in like 4 months. enchanting is trash

• Like 1

Focused Will: Magranon spell

• Magranons healing spell, drains stamina of the caster as it heals.

MAG-RA-NON

MAG-RA-NON

MAG-RA-NON

Is there a way to incorporate the channeling skill as a form of shatter resistance?

Similar to the way the spirit cottages have their mailing times calculated, have the shatter chance with a similar calculation the skill deducted as a percentage from the overall chance?

57 minutes ago, Seriphina said:

Is there a way to incorporate the channeling skill as a form of shatter resistance?

Similar to the way the spirit cottages have their mailing times calculated, have the shatter chance with a similar calculation the skill deducted as a percentage from the overall chance?

If I'm not mistaken shatter is currently directly dependent only from failures making it indirectly dependant from skill and item ql, domain power (altar ql), alignment, deed bonus. Not sure what part shatter resistance of material and runes play in equation... If on failure you calculate all those variables again instead of flat 1/100 maybe results can feel more natural.

Maybe use theoretical minimum of zero chance to shatter from 100 skill, 100ql item, 100 alignment and max domain power and scale everything from that and apllying material bonuses, runes and hopefully rarity to lower that chance and apply that instead of 1/100 part. So you have 2 checks based on skill one for failure and other for shatter upon failure... Something like that maybe? That for if shatter should exist in first place ofc.

3 minutes ago, kochinac said:

If I'm not mistaken shatter is currently directly dependent only from failures making it indirectly dependant from skill and item ql, domain power (altar ql), alignment, deed bonus. Not sure what part shatter resistance of material and runes play in equation... If on failure you calculate all those variables again instead of flat 1/100 maybe results can feel more natural.

A cast can fail, fail crack, and fail shatter depending on how much you fail by. 90 channeling with 90ql thing being enchanted is almost impossible to roll a fail shatter, but fail and fail crack both have a small chance to shatter that ignores how much you failed by. the shatter resistance things do work last i checked, just don't think they give a message when they block the shatter (otherwise grinding channeling on seryll pend would spam it)

7 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

A cast can fail, fail crack, and fail shatter depending on how much you fail by. 90 channeling with 90ql thing being enchanted is almost impossible to roll a fail shatter, but fail and fail crack both have a small chance to shatter that ignores how much you failed by. the shatter resistance things do work last i checked, just don't think they give a message when they block the shatter (otherwise grinding channeling on seryll pend would spam it)

Ok, thanks for more detailed explanation. So when you say small chance upon fail and fail crack that is flat 1/100 chance no matter what?

Please don't make shattering more common. I'd  prefer to see shatter chance made less common with higher skill.

Can we please SELECT which effect to try and dispel?

I'm surprised more people aren't concerned with re-rolling demi-god spell lists and having them be closely tied to whatever primary god the demi is allied too. How many of you roll a player god priest specifictly because it had a better spell list?

3 minutes ago, joedobo said:

How many of you roll a player god priest specifictly because it had a better spell list?

Theres gonna be a free swap for all priests

• Like 1

I'm not too worried due to the free swap for all priests, I myself have like 35-40 channeling, and stopped right at that point, because I don't have the will to enchant, because it looks horrible, tedious.

50-70 channeling is what a lot people give up at, I stopped my Nahjo priest right at 55 channeling, because enchanting doesn't look like fun, at least there will be more of a reason to grind channeling because there are higher difficulty damage spells but it's still not enough if you ask me. Channeling is a hellish grind. It's difficult to stay on 1 subject for too long, because that's how you burn out, and with all that grinding you go through or a huge payment for a new alt and to be rewarded with shattering a supreme item at 94QL... Gosh... that must be rough @kochinac shattering is a terrible mechanic, and it brings fear with every cast you make, and that's not fun!!! it makes you scared of enchanting!

I would love it if they greatly reduced the sacrifice timer, it's way too long, as if it's rough enough burning through useful resources, you have to wait half a minute just so you can cast spells for like 20-40 seconds and gain so little with that time you cast too, in terms of both skill gain and enchanting success (usually)

Priest life is extremely difficult, and it's why it's reserved for alts, the priest restriction lifts make me very very happy, and I welcome them, what you sacrifice is the loss of the ability to improve, however... if you look at what normal players use to grind their improving skills, it's not much, just a couple of high QL lumps and logs is enough to last you a month. As for priests? in order to improve your main skill you have to buy a crap load of gems, or chopped veggies, I've heard of someone who has spent 3 gold on grinding materials, holy cow! that's a lot of gems! being able to cast spells for like 20-40 seconds before having to wait another 30 seconds as you burn through a crap load of sometimes pricey resources without CoC (I do still believe CoC should not boost channeling gain) and to finally get to 94 channeling and to be rewarded with SHATTERING SUPREMES is bull! it's exhausting! and everyone I know who has a priest has complained about how annoying being a priest can be. If you seclude yourself from the world of improving, you should be in for another world of fun instead, but it's not fun! It's extremely exhausting on the wallet and brain... The most fun you can have with it is being a healer, and an animal tamer with charm and having damage bonuses. Those are the only fun things I can think of.. the passives mainly.

Edited by Wiolo
  • Like 7

And for Libila's sake, please fix queing sacrifice and cast actions, currently sac interupts cast which is very annoying as you can't optimize all your actions for grinding. This was reported so many times and I don't know why it has been ninja changed like that in a first place

Edited by kochinac
  • Like 7

When player gods are linked to main gods..... that means in BL kingdom cannot be any WL priests and in WL kingdom cannot be any BL priests... which means instant depriesting if you are WL priest in BL kingdom. Do we get a fair warning of such update before it happens or how this should be handled, it give will few headaches to players when they log in to find out that they lost their champhood etc because of such update.

~concerned citizen

Edited by Themystrix

Limit casting power  to something like (channelling / 10) -  (current power / 10). I'm not great at maths but hopefully you can see where I'm heading and maybe suggest a better formula, the goal would be to reduce casting power as enchant power increases and all is relative to the channelling ability of the priest whom is capped by their channelling level. Failures incur a reduction in power not QL loss and never shatter. It would work kinda like improving items with crafting but with magic, less RNG and instead players are rewarded for effort invested not punished randomly.

This would bring priests more inline with how non priests are played as mains and in conjunction with the other priest changes would make playing a priest as a main much more viable.

Edited by BeardedMan
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, joedobo said:

Can we please SELECT which effect to try and dispel?

Full agree on it!

11 hours ago, joedobo said:

I'm surprised more people aren't concerned with re-rolling demi-god spell lists and having them be closely tied to whatever primary god the demi is allied too. How many of you roll a player god priest specifictly because it had a better spell list?

I strongly hope (I had no guts to watch a 3h video to see if it is covered or not) that spell lists of linked gods will not be the same as the old gods they are linked to - no reason to have a player god anymore that way. I'm quite worried about the restrictions aligned fully to the main god too, the other main benefit to have a priest of player gods that the restrictions / statics are varied.

• Like 2