K6KYYfe.png

So, today was a big day! Sundisk and I joined Emoo in his weekly Wurm Wednesday stream to discuss the huge upcoming priest overhaul, which touches on almost every aspect of being a priest, we shared details about mechanics as well as showcased new spells and talked about balance, there's a lot to go over and we'll cover bits of it in here, incase you missed it, you can catch the stream here:

Gods and Demigods
In order to better streamline how player gods work, we'll be working on tying demigods (player gods) to the original gods more closely, demigods allied with a god will share many aspects, including prayer locations, restrictions, influence spell lists, and most importantly, demigods allied with a god will be able to have their priests link together.

Priest restrictions
In order to improve priest play we have loosened many restrictions from general priesthood, and also adjusted god based priest restrictions to, as follows:

The following restrictions have been lifted from priests:

• Continuing structures, fences, and items
  • Repairing structures
  • Alchemy (including healing covers)
  • Bashing structures and fences (includes structure roof & floors)

In addition to this:

• Fo based priests (this includes demigods allied with Fo) can now do mining and all mining actions (Mine, prospect, tunnel, analyse).
  • Libila and her template demigods can now operate war machines
  • Magranon and his template demigods can now cut wood
  • Vynora and her template demigods can now do all things digging, including Flattening, Leveling (including border), and Dredging

This means playing as a priest solo is more feasible, and means working with lower quality tools than crafters, but still able to built a house! 

Rite spells
We all know that Vynoras rite of spring is the dominant rite, who can turn down 5h sb? Not us! (Except me, because Fo is thebest). With this update we'll be setting Vynoras rite to be more of a baseline, with each rite giving 5h sleep bonus and a small characteristic improvement depending on the god.

Gods and their Demigods will now share a server wide pool on these casts, so following/praying to a demigod will still provide towards the base gods total pool. 

The required amount of prayers will not change with server population, meaning an influx of players to a server will not increase the requirements, and there will not be a requirement of players in local to cast either, meaning better systems for organising them as the community events they were intended to be! 

Last but not least with rite spells, they will no longer require being on at a specific time! After the cast, players have up to 24 hours to pray and receive the bonuses, meaning if you were offline when it was cast, you don't miss out!

New spells

Along with a rework of most spell mechanics, new spells have been added:

• Cleanse: Fo spell.
    • Converts 3x3 area of mycelium back to normal, cast on dirt will create grass
  • Essence Drain: Libila spell.
    • Libila version of life transfer and flaming aura/frostbrand, healing a small amount of damage and dealing a small internal wound as bonus damage. Less effective than LT or FA/FB, but able to do both. 
  • Focused Will: Magranon spell
    • Magranons healing spell, drains stamina of the caster as it heals.
  • Hypothermia: Vynora spell
    • Single target cold damage spell
  • Inferno: Magranon spell
    • Single target burn damage spell
  • Summon soul: All gods.
    • This one we expect may be a little controversial, allowing a priest to summon a player to their location. It will require the person being summoned to accept the summon, as well as being PvE only. There's a large favour requirement and a cooldown so it's not one for spamming, but may help travel sometimes in certain situations!

Resistances and cooldowns
With all the new spells and reworking of the old, improving spell based combat is a big focus. With the previous mechanic of overheating proving to be somewhat ineffective, we've introduced both resistances and cooldowns on spells. Taking damage from a spell increases your resistance, and many spells have their own cooldown.

Some spell types will share resistances, such as Worm brains, Hypothermia, and Inferno sharing a common resistance, and healing / life transfer has a total combined resistance, much like how light of Fo has worked. 

There's a lot more to share including spell specific changes which we'll be doing as it goes to public testing, we expect to be picking up with team testing soon! 

Newspring overhaul

There's been a lot of voting for the Newspring deed redesign, and i think both designs have been awesome, but there always must be a winner, and this time it is Renate!

Renates design carries a treetop wander feel, and I'm keen to see it in the game, we'll be working with him to get it all ready so expect to see results soon! 

There'll be a small update this week which will include the little unicorn and hell babies which I'm excited for, so see you there, until then though, 

Keep on Wurming!

Retrograde & the Wurm team

• Like 21

I can see Summon Soul helping so many new players get transported to safety, without having to actually join a deed until they are ready.

Glad I'm a priest atm. :) 

• Like 5

By the way, any chance of the WL priests getting a useful enchant to cast on bows, as an alternative to BT? (LT might be cool...)

Summon Soul will be great. My first thought as using it to get new/lost priests to a sermon party.

• Like 2

Quick questions:

1. Will there be a way to tell what god a character is following? Right now when (not if) I forget I have to go down a row of altars and try to pray at each one.
  2. With demigods and gods being more tightly bound, will we still have demigod altars or will they convert/merge? Just having 4 altars would certainly make for less cluttered churches and allow the devs to invest in more artistic differentiation if they don't need to add new ones.
Edited by Darmalus
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Darmalus said:

Will there be a way to tell what god a character is following? Right now when (not if) I forget I have to go down a row of altars and try to pray at each one.

checking spell list at any altar will tell you god + all their passives that are granted to you after update

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 1

b0ed22540c9379cc92d1057e9cb1f6d1.jpg
"Emoo: you four can attack and I'll make it fair by removing my helmet"

My biggest concern was allowing priests to build/repair deeds. I've since heard that entering combat with somebody building/repairing will cancel their action timer.
Can you pretty please, make sure that placing mine doors is part of this timer so to stop the dreaded Mine Door Spam which can on without this.

I also believe, that if all priests can repair and build. Then all preists should be able to operate trebs and catapults. I think Libila should be able to CREATE them. 
I also believe that this is a fair balance, as the attackers will still need a good skill in the treb/cata they operate and knowledge of a system that can be pretty complex. 

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

The following restrictions have been lifted from priests:

• Continuing structures, fences, and items

I would assume, based on this, that all priests would be able to build/continue a treb.  Good luck getting to 80 FC without being able to imp.... but hey.... a change is a change.

• Like 1

So, still won't be able to build a stone house on Freedom as a Vyn priest because they cannot mine stone.  Can't say it makes much sense for the god of knowledge to live in the dark ages building wooden houses.

I honestly do not see a reason not to let all religions mine AND woodcut AND dig.  Especially if you're giving them the ability to build, repair and continue items.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

I would assume, based on this, that all priests would be able to build/continue a treb.  Good luck getting to 80 FC without being able to imp.... but hey.... a change is a change.

Depriest, grind, then repriest, not hard

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

So, still won't be able to build a stone house on Freedom as a Vyn priest because they cannot mine stone.  Can't say it makes much sense for the god of knowledge to live in the dark ages building wooden houses.

I honestly do not see a reason not to let all religions mine AND woodcut AND dig.  Especially if you're giving them the ability to build, repair and continue items.  

If they limit the skill gain to say 50 or 60 of what they could never have raised in the first place as priest and not take penalty would that offset most issues people may find ?

Even to the point of being able to imp ?  not sure if that would work ..

To be honest, as a priest myself, I am extremely happy about these changes, and will take it any day.

Do I understand it correct that BL based gods no longer allowed on freedom pve?

fantastic news :).... hopefully while being summoned, the dude wont forget to keep hands tightly on pockets so nothing falls out! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

So, today was a big day! Sundisk and I joined Emoo

lol :)

Any chance we’re close enough to get an ETA on the priest changes going live?

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

• Vynora and her template demigods can now do all things digging, including Flattening, Leveling (including border), and Dredging

My Vynora priest has a personal goal to mine a 90+ gem, so this change doesn't help her much.

Apart from that, I'm ambivalent.

I won't be pessimist but these "changes" do not look so much good to me, overall seems only that we are still hit by the game oversemplifications: more sb for all, easier linking with priests with different spells in their pool (including those enchants like MS and LT... lol), make traveling a LOT easier, nothing that really shines, in fact, many things makes the game maybe more dull.
Hope that the rework of spells will be nicer than that... and please, really, remove the requirement of a mag domain to use meditation power erupt: meditation supposed to be something that had nothing to do with priesthood.

• Like 1

Can we get one additional change please?  We need something that will tell us what god we follow.  Some way to examine our body or something to tell us that.  I have heard that question over and over again so many times.  The answer has always to find something that most of the god's dislike like killing a road or something.  Seems like there won't be as many dislikes as before to test with.

Thanks

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Rauros said:

please, really, remove the requirement of a mag domain to use meditation power erupt: meditation supposed to be something that had nothing to do with priesthood.

this is true.. i know there must be some parallels or connections between the gods and meditating but i don't think that governing the meditation powers is one of them.Keep these things distinct as I and I bet some others view these things as different in a lot of regards.. due to meditating being an exercise of the mind./body and religion being an article of faith generally