Sign in to follow this  
Nomadikhan

Change tabards to be treated like kingdom banners / tents

So that it's not completely silly and reliant upon which kingdom your in.   This would allow freedomers to wear whatever kingdom tabard they'd like.  It may also be interesting since an entire enemy force could be wearing your colors forcing you to mouseover constantly to see who's who, ya know, subterfuge!  Plenty of players on Freedom dislike the generic freedom tabard and support PMK's or are even in a PMK but are vacationing on freedom.

Give us some love!

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 2

I can't understand what you really mean by this but if you mean wearing your Kingdom tabard also on freedom, yes, +1

2 minutes ago, Sn00 said:

I can't understand what you really mean by this but if you mean wearing your Kingdom tabard also on freedom, yes, +1

Now:  Weaing a tabard displays your current kingdom  on chaos it's your PMK displayed on the tabard.  On freedom it's freedom's image

Changed:  Tabards are not generic, instead you have new tabards such as Horde of the Summoned Tabard, or The Crusaders Tabard.   So when I sail from chaos to freedom, I am ALWAYS wearing my PMK's tabard.

It's completely silly that it's one item tied to hardcoded current kingdom, they should be treated exactly as kingdom tents and banners.  I have edited the title, it's more informative now as to my point :)

Edited by Nomadikhan

I'm with Snoo but if you mean Freedomers can wear any pmk tabardeven if not in that pmk then no. I would like to see several more versions of a tabard for freedom though so they have some choice.

Edit:  Ah you typed while I was typing

Edited by Rhianna

5 minutes ago, Rhianna said:

I'm with Snoo but if you mean Freedomers can wear any pmk tabardeven if not in that pmk then no. I would like to see several more versions of a tabard for freedom though so they have some choice

So does the same apply to tents and banners, is it also not wanted that freedomers not in your kingdom use your tents or collect your banners?  What I'm suggesting is more creative freedom and personal expression.   Surely having freedomers wearing your emblems is good?   Surely being able to wear your enemies emblems and confuse the crap out of people targeting you is wanted, tactics yo?

Would you yourself not like to wear your kingdom tabard on freedom?

Edited by Nomadikhan

I would -1 that suggestion Nomad. Someone who hasn't any loyalty or put any effort into a particular pmk or helped that pmk should not get to wear the tabards or emblems - the money from sales of tents, banners etc goes towards improving deeds, etc of that particular pmk.

But I would like freedomers to have choice so new designs esp for freedom would be good.

Edit: Oh hmm its 5 am here missed what you said - yes I want to be able to wear my tabard on freedom but I don't want people not in my pmk to be able to

Edited by Rhianna
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rhianna said:

I would -1 that suggestion Nomad. Someone who hasn't any loyalty or put any effort into a particular pmk or helped that pmk should not get to wear the tabards or emblems - the money from sales of tents, banners etc goes towards improving deeds, etc of that particular pmk.

But I would like freedomers to have choice so new designs esp for freedom would be good.

Edit: Oh hmm its 5 am here missed what you said - yes I want to be able to wear my tabard on freedom but I don't want people not in my pmk to be able to

Fair enough, it's a respectable response.

• Like 1

Could have it so you can switch between freedom isles tabard and the tabard of your kingdom on chaos while on freedom. Dunno about anyone being able to wear them.

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 1

Just now, Oblivionnreaver said:

Could have it so you can switch between freedom isles tabard and the tabard of your kingdom on chaos while on freedom.

Even that is a possibility, something togglable in your character profile window.

Sure but the freedom tabard as Nomad points out is ugly - feel there should be more choice - just not current pmk tabards ?

• Like 1

Alliance tabards on Freedom is an awesome idea according to me, however may be too much graphics for the devs to import.

It would be awesome to wear chaos pmk tabards on freedom, to show where you loyalty lies, but what comes to people that doesn't belong to any kingdoms... they shouldn't be able to wear pmk tabard nor craft obviously.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sn00 said:

Alliance tabards on Freedom is an awesome idea according to me, however may be too much graphics for the devs to import.

How other games have done this using an automated system and a relatively small number of artwork to create a vast number of unique independent designs:

World of Warcraft:

mY0Q02G.png

Medieval Engineers

fHvaXc4.png

Same idea again in the Crusader Kings II coat of arms editor:

vHfCTGz.jpg

It's not a SMALL project but it's not near as exhausting as having people submit custom artwork for approval (and risking something "sly" getting through). Usually each "element" has only 8-16 options, but put together they can create literally thousands of unique designs.

Say 12 emblems, 12 borders, 12 backgrounds, 12 main colors, 12 secondary colors, is I think  248.000 unique designs (unless I have forgotten how math works, which is entirely possible). Bump that up to 16 options for each element, and you top one million potential unique designs.    Limit it to a mere 8 options in each category, you still get 32 thousand designs. But all "automated" from a tiny selection of options. The real work is simply designing the UI interface.

Just from a dozen+ emblems, borders, backgrounds, and color options.

I've seen this suggestion since 2011 (and made it myself) but I know it's not a small project. However, coat-of-arms and sigils/emblems are at the very heart of the type of medieval game that Wurm is about. Get rid of the excessively cartoony ones from WoW, and it is one of the most "Wurmish" suggestions we keep making.  But correct, no small project since the interface is also needing to be designed/programmed. But ... also not a monster task way beyond the scope and abilities of the Code Club team. I am even kind of hoping it might be on course for the huge UI overhaul, the one that Retrograde said I was being excessively pessimestic when I described it as "well over a year away" back in March 2017 ?

It could also be an income generator for Wurm, and literally pay for itself. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 4

@Brash_Endeavors Yes!!! I really want to see system simmilar to that in Wurm and I do hope it could be one of the products for future. Very nicely selected examples and a nice post :)

It's not a new suggestion by any means yeah, and we've discussed possible implementations over a long period of time, but brash is correct, it's not a small project and with saroman being our only art guy, it's a project that would mean many high priority features would be delayed.

customisation is cool, and something we'd all love to see

And parts of the new UI have already come out! It's been broken up into mechanics and visuals in many places, and will continue to be worked on and released as they come about, many other things just push it down the line though

I do like the idea of being able to display your loyalties on other servers with tabards and after reading this thread and noticing that the game does keep track of what kingdoms you belong to (/mykingdoms) I had a few ideas.

For a somewhat simpler version for now we could always use a new command such as "/tabard" which would open a window with a drop down menu, similar to how /titles works now, giving you a set of options of which tabard to display.

Default - Acts as it does now, displays whichever kingdoms tabard you belong to on the current server.

Chaos Kingdom - Display the tabard of whatever kingdom this character belongs to on Chaos

(?) Epic Kingdom - Display the tabard of whatever kingdom this character belongs to on the Epic Cluster

For some customization beyond that I think some additional Freedom tabard variants based on the different islands/servers would be nice touch.

Freedom (Chaos), Freedom (Independence), Freedom (Deliverance), Freedom (Exodus), Freedom (Celebration), Freedom (Pristine), Freedom (Release), and Freedom (Xanadu).

Edit: Another set of tabard options could be based on the religions of the game. One for each god you can follow.

Edited by Chromega
Adding religious idea

4 minutes ago, Chromega said:

I do like the idea of being able to display your loyalties on other servers with tabards and after reading this thread and noticing that the game does keep track of what kingdoms you belong to (/mykingdoms).

For a somewhat simpler version for now we could always use a new command such as "/tabard" which would open a window with a drop down menu, similar to how /titles works now, giving you a set of options of which tabard to display.

Default - Acts as it is now, displays whichever kingdoms tabard you belong to on the current server.

Chaos Kingdom - Display the tabard of whatever kingdom this character belongs to on Chaos

(?) Epic Kingdom - Display the tabard of whatever kingdom this character belongs to on the Epic Cluster

For additional customization beyond that I think some additional Freedom tabard variants based on the different islands/servers would be nice touch.

Freedom (Chaos), Freedom (Independence), Freedom (Deliverance), Freedom (Exodus), Freedom (Celebration), Freedom (Pristine), Freedom (Release), and Freedom (Xanadu).

That is an awesome idea tbh, I love the fact about Epic tabarbs, seeing as you can use the Template kingdomes ones if so, pretty damn nice according to me.